+ Reply
Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RIM, Nokia Fire Back at Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
As expected, the smartphone manufacturers that Apple dragged into its own iPhone 4 reception mess have not responded favorably to the sweeping accusations made by Apple chief Steve Jobs during
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default RIM, Nokia Fire Back at Apple

As expected, the smartphone manufacturers that Apple dragged into its own iPhone 4 reception mess have not responded favorably to the sweeping accusations made by Apple chief Steve Jobs during Friday's much talked about press conference. During the presentation in which Jobs announced a free case distribution program for iPhone 4 owners, a very large target was made out of Apple's biggest competitors in the smartphone marketplace.

Alluding to the infamous Death Grip, Jobs said this sort of thing "doesn't just happen to the iPhone." In fact, he boldly asserted that the likes of "Nokia, Motorola and other phones" have the same nagging issue. He then went on to demonstrate how the BlackBerry Bold 9700 and the Samsung Omnia II similarly lose bars when held improperly. Following the presentation, Apple.com unveiled a whole new wing to the site that is pretty much exclusively dedicated to explaining that other smartphones also have fatal reception problems. In fact, this is just about the most attention Apple has ever given to its competition. Of course, none of this attention is positive. And, as a result, there are some angry executives at competing companies that are firing back at Cupertino less than twenty-four hours since Apple fired the first shot.

Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie - the CEOs of RIM (the makers of Blackberry) - issued a formal and scathing response to Apple's harsh critiques.

Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable. Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation. RIM is a global leader in antenna design and has been successfully designing industry-leading wireless data products with efficient and effective radio performance for over 20 years. During that time, RIM has avoided designs like the one Apple used in the iPhone 4 and instead has used innovative designs which reduce the risk for dropped calls, especially in areas of lower coverage. One thing is for certain, RIM's customers don't need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity. Apple clearly made certain design decisions and it should take responsibility for these decisions rather than trying to draw RIM and others into a situation that relates specifically to Apple.
    Shortly after RIM's chief executives issued choice words to Apple, Nokia followed suit, offering the following:

Antenna design is a complex subject and has been a core competence at Nokia for decades, across hundreds of phone models. Nokia was the pioneer in internal antennas; the Nokia 8810, launched in 1998, was the first commercial phone with this feature. Nokia has invested thousands of man hours in studying human behavior, including how people hold their phones for calls, music playing, web browsing and so on. As you would expect from a company focused on connecting people, we prioritize antenna performance over physical design if they are ever in conflict. In general, antenna performance of a mobile device/phone may be affected with a tight grip, depending on how the device is held. That’s why Nokia designs our phones to ensure acceptable performance in all real life cases, for example when the phone is held in either hand. Nokia has invested thousands of man hours in studying how people hold their phones and allows for this in designs, for example by having antennas both at the top and bottom of the phone and by careful selection of materials and their use in the mechanical design.
    Other smartphone makers tossed under the bus by Apple are yet to respond. But something tells us they are hard at work this weekend preparing a well-crafted response to the far-reaching jabs Apple took on Friday to distract from the iPhone 4 "Death Grip" that Steve Jobs maintains is vastly overblown in the press.

InformationWeek
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 07-17-2010 at 09:44 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

718king (07-17-2010), carolinamic (07-17-2010), comosa (07-18-2010), matieches (07-18-2010), miggyme (07-17-2010), reaves205 (07-17-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

epic

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

cell phone war yay!!!!
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Xenthis (07-18-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple is so lame... they can not compete with RIM in antenna or battery design...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eortizr For This Useful Post:

comosa (07-18-2010), Xenthis (07-18-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I did find it interesting that he named nokia and motorola yet he didn't give any examples for either of the two, nor does the website. Being that they are two huge names in the global cell market you would think that it would be a given to show they're victims of the same problems.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Sol Munition (07-17-2010), Xenthis (07-18-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Although I don't see a problem with Apple comparing their signal loss with that of phones from other manufactures, I also would expect nothing less than those manufactures defending their products.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to defdad For This Useful Post:

Xenthis (07-18-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Thank god RIM called Apple out on their BS. I really can't believe that a multi-billion dollar international corporation like Apple would resort to "Antenna issue? Oh, well uh.....HAY LOOK AT THESE OTHER PHONES!!! THEY HAVE RECEPTION ISSUES TOO!! A Fix? Oh, well uh.....FREE CASES, FOR EVERYONE!!" And what was hilarious was when one of the reporters there sat there with his Blackberry Bold during the Q&A and was unable to replicate the reception issue, all Steve Jobs could say was "You may not see it in certain areas." So the Blackberry Bold (which Apple bashed in their press conference) only has reception issues in 100 million dollar testing facilities, while the iPhone 4 only has reception issues everywhere else on the face of the planet? Really don't see myself buying the iPhone 5 after all this.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Luppin For This Useful Post:

comosa (07-18-2010), creasy425 (07-17-2010), CsSxPlay3r (07-17-2010), EdmundGerber (07-18-2010), k.nitsua (07-17-2010), luvmytj (07-17-2010), robertr1 (07-17-2010), Sol Munition (07-17-2010), Xenthis (07-18-2010)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

I tried to call Steve Jobs to see why he would throw everyone under the bus, but I heard nothing from him at all!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! Then, I looked at my iPhone 4, and it said "Call FAILed".... Go figure. 

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GellBrake'rrrr For This Useful Post:

AKay724 (07-17-2010), chberain (07-17-2010), D.L33T (07-17-2010), Go Gators (07-17-2010), Gustavo Saliola (07-17-2010), iRoach74 (07-17-2010), robertr1 (07-17-2010), Xenthis (07-18-2010)

Thanks

That was total BS for Apple to even bring all hose other makers into this whole thing, and I hope they get roasted for it. This whole iPhone 4 thing has been a debacle from the beginning and really shows Apples true colors of lies, deceit and cover-ups with the excuse of making sales being good enough. I have no plans to ever buy another Apple product after my 3Gs contract expires, partly because I'll be moving to the more open Android OS and partly because I just plain don't like the way Apple does business.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hrethgir For This Useful Post:

3andO (07-17-2010), Go Gators (07-17-2010), Sol Munition (07-17-2010), suomu (07-17-2010), Xenthis (07-18-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

> Really don't see myself buying the iPhone 5 after all this.

Fantastic! Great!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 6309phone For This Useful Post:

exp1icitc0nt3nt (07-17-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can't believe Apple's BS on this. I've had countless phones and none of them, including my current 3GS have had issues with the antenna, no matter how I hold them.
    I'm yet to order an iPhone4 for a number of reasons, this isn't really one of them TBH. I'm more concerned with the issue that iOS4 has broken the USB connectivity to a number of car head units and accessories, something that is a basic function of the device but seems to have been lost amid the antenna reports. Without this function any device with iOS4 on is useless to me, I'm not buying a new 500 stereo just for a software update, 6 months after buying my current one.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Beastlee For This Useful Post:

Xenthis (07-18-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hrethgir View Post
    That was total BS for Apple to even bring all hose other makers into this whole thing, and I hope they get roasted for it. This whole iPhone 4 thing has been a debacle from the beginning and really shows Apples true colors of lies, deceit and cover-ups with the excuse of making sales being good enough. I have no plans to ever buy another Apple product after my 3Gs contract expires, partly because I'll be moving to the more open Android OS and partly because I just plain don't like the way Apple does business.
    I'll be doing the same.

iPhone4 is my last apple product I'll ever buy and am even thinking of returning it.

That was just plain wrong.

Their credibility got shatter.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Teoyaomqui For This Useful Post:

Xenthis (07-18-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

this just adds to the hype and trust me apple wont sell any less number of iphone 4s, heck im still waiting on the release of the white ones so i can buy mine. its all news that keeps apple and the iPhone 4 in the spotlight

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

If other phones have the same "death grip" that people are ******** about over apple, why not prove that other phones have the same issues? Big deal.. move on.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    @Luppin if you even watched the PC, you'll notice that it wasn't done in the million dollar testing facility but that it was in fact done in an office with no special equipment of any kind except a video camera. @Hrethgir by open you mean spam in the "app store", and a phone that self destructs when you try to mod it? Ofc we all love that openness there don't we... Classic example of openness. Yep, people benefit a lot from that, don't they? We all love to have copyrighted content being distributed illegally. I'm not saying that apple doesn't have pointless fart apps in they're app store, but at least they haven't taken over the top tens.

Not bashing other platforms, just saying one has to realize the facts on both sides before making judgement.

Hmm. I have this Siemens phone here. Lemme test this death grip thing by covering up the antenna. Oops, one bar of signal from the previous five. Oh, Siemens couldn't be at fault because their phones aren't as successful as the other major company(ies). Hmm. I have this iP4 laying around, lemme test the death grip thing. Hmm only drops one bar and stays there for five minutes before going up again. I guess everyone must bash apple because 1,500 outta their 3,000,000 users are having this issue and they can't return a phone that they don't like but instead have to bash it and go on about it.

Just putting things in perspective. Don't hold this against me, but I'm tired of all this antenna talk and of people trying to make themselves out to be the master of this subject when they don't even have an iP4.
    -btung

i gotz this whole coding thing down

My iPhone is a Part of Me 24trepid's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm returning my iPhone 4. Worst reception ever on a wireless phone !! I never had problems with iPhone 2G, 3G, or 3GS. The iPhone 4 has a major design flaw !!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 24trepid For This Useful Post:

redwolf (07-17-2010), vikrants (07-17-2010), Xenthis (07-18-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone senas8's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't have an iphone anymore.. more because at&t screwed me over .. anyways.. I have a mytouch now. I can say that by holding the phone in a certain way I too get the same results with bars dropping low. I really believe its a universal problem. And not that big of a deal. Some people here seem to be butt hurt over this. Jeeeezzz
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i have a blackberry curve 8520 and i can say that i was able to replicate the death grip. i had 5 bars without the death grip and it dropped to 2 after i applied the death grip

iPhone? More like MyPhone GranDaddyPurp's Avatar
    Thanks

people are just paying way TOO MUCH attention on Apple and the iPhone 4. In my opinion, I think this whole death grip/antenna issue was blown way out of proportion.
    I Take Three L's To The Head...Love, Live, Life then I'm Dead

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranDaddyPurp For This Useful Post:

DontBeJealous (07-17-2010), iLoveWindows&iPhone (07-17-2010), ronfin44 (07-17-2010), salayyad (07-17-2010)