+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gizmodo Search Warrant Gets Pulled By Authorities

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you don't remember all the fuss about this case, you've been sleeping under a rock. This pertains to the incident of the "lost/stolen" iPhone 4 that Gizmodo had reviewed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default Gizmodo Search Warrant Gets Pulled By Authorities

If you don't remember all the fuss about this case, you've been sleeping under a rock. This pertains to the incident of the "lost/stolen" iPhone 4 that Gizmodo had reviewed a few months back. In the slew of all this mess, editor Jason Chen of Gizmodo, had his house searched and various items seized.

The EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) says that the San Mateo County District Attorney's office has been given the opportunity to withdrawal the uber-controversial search warrant. They state that the search was indeed illegal, and violated California code.

As EFF repeatedly noted at the time, the warrant-backed search of Chen's home was illegal as it violated California Penal Code section 1524(g)'s prohibition against the issuance of warrants for "unpublished information obtained or prepared in gathering, receiving or processing of information for communication to the public."
    Jason will be one happy guy when he get's all of his items returned, however it's not the end of the drama. The District Attorney could easily turn around and request a subpoena, once again, giving them access to all of Chen's items. However, it's probably not likely to happen, as it seems Steve realizes this might be something to just "let it slide"

The Wall Street Journal reports that Gizmodo has fully complied with authorities, thus making it much easier for a withdrawal of the search warrant.

The San Mateo County judge overseeing the Gizmodo case on Friday ordered the search warrant to be withdrawn and the materials taken from Mr. Chen to be returned to him. Gawker Media Chief Operating Officer Gaby Darbyshire said Gizmodo has agreed voluntarily to give the district attorney materials that a court appointee "deems relevant to the case."

Chris Feasel, deputy district attorney for San Mateo County, said Friday that the investigation into Gizmodo is ongoing. "Mr. Chen and Gizmodo have agreed to cooperate with our investigation," he said.

MacRumors & Wall Street Journal
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 07-16-2010 at 03:21 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (07-17-2010), enmanuelgarcia (07-16-2010), pimpkracker2000 (07-16-2010), reaves205 (07-16-2010)

Thanks

Well that sucks for him
    FIFIRI FLIES

Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssfirme View Post
    Well that sucks for him
    Lol, how does this suck? He's getting his stuff back.
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 07-16-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Jobs thought the guy test the phone and know about "Death Grip". Want to shut Gizmo mouth regarding this issue before the release and end up losing millions of sales, so had a search done on the guy and take all evidence.
    Can you imagine the loss of sales if Gizmo reported about "Death Grip" before the launch?
    Now that iPhone launch is over, everyone knows about antenna issue and apparently the guy knows nothing so he let the case go.

Anyways I am sticking with my 3GS, no physical change to fix iPhone 4 = fail.
    Last edited by unison999; 07-16-2010 at 03:22 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

chrisangel13 (07-17-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Please. Dude reveal a trade secret to the world. He knew what he was doing, Gawker knew that they were doing. What info he had wasn't his to distribute even if hadn't done so. This guy and Gawker are trying everything they can to cover their *** for doing something monumentally stupid. You can't expect to get away scot free by unveiling a product owned by a multibillion corporation entangled in a market as competitive as the mobile phone market.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Jobs thought the guy test the phone and know about "Death Grip". Want to shut Gizmo mouth regarding this issue before the release and end up losing millions of sales, so had a search done on the guy and take all evidence.
    Can you imagine the loss of sales if Gizmo reported about "Death Grip" before the launch?
    Now that iPhone launch is over, everyone knows about antenna issue and apparently the guy knows nothing so he let the case go.
    lol that would have been awesome

Green Apple
    Thanks

When he gets his stuff back he should sell it or give it to friends and family. Than he will have nothing to take.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

id sue them since search violated Cali code. good thing hes getting his things back.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delusion950 For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (07-16-2010)

Thanks

Staying with my 3G I4 needs some time

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c1ockwerk View Post
    lol that would have been awesome
    If he did know about and reported on "death grip" I would have thanked him and so will all these people who got duped by Apple.
    Would have saved myself some money, because I lost all the apps I bought specifically for iPhone4...
    I wonder how many people bought iphone4 and returned it, decided not to buy it again and gave up on the apps they bought for iPhone4...

Thanks

I'm surprised it's gone on this long. Glad things are easing up for him

Thanks

He must be happy.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Still a crook. Some news agencies will go to great lengths to get their sweeps. Regardless the law is the law. Even if it's a technicality. (not saying this was).

Thanks

Hamburgler
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    Lol, how does this suck? He's getting his stuff back.
    cuz they shouldnt have taken his sh1t in the first place...
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Whats the procedure for the people that already bought the bumper to have the refund? Somebody know or is not effective yet?
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Glad he's getting his stuff back. I dunno why ppl are so hard on Gizmodo when many of them visit their website and were following their coverage of the found phone. Hypocrites.

Thanks

Did this iPhone have a death grip?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

KartRacer (07-16-2010)

Thanks

i smell a lawsuit....

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Please. Dude reveal a trade secret to the world. He knew what he was doing, Gawker knew that they were doing. What info he had wasn't his to distribute even if hadn't done so. This guy and Gawker are trying everything they can to cover their *** for doing something monumentally stupid. You can't expect to get away scot free by unveiling a product owned by a multibillion corporation entangled in a market as competitive as the mobile phone market.
    "Please." Trade secrets are theirs to protect and keep secret, not ours. When they lose something like that, THEY fail to protect their trade secrets. It doesn't suddenly become the finder's and public's responsibility. The police do not exist to do Apple's bidding. You couldn't possibly be more wrong about the crime here. If it were truly stolen, there'd be an issue, but it'd be a completely different one. Also, Gizmodo really only paid for access to it with intent to return it directly to Apple. Saying they paid $5K for it is everyone else's flawed reporting.

To even imply that the information in his head wasn't his to do with as he pleased so long as it was legally obtained is ludicrous. It's like saying that no reporter can ever report something that wasn't previously known! So much for secrets and exposés! So much for rights and whistle-blowers! You should know that this law exists SPECIFICALLY to protect reporters so that they can release such information.
    Last edited by CZroe; 07-16-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost