+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Prominent US Senator Takes Aim at Apple in Public Letter to Steve Jobs

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Prominent US Senator Takes Aim at Apple in Public Letter to Steve Jobs

Never one to waste an opportunity to score political points by joining the masses in a collective outcry for action, New York Senator Charles Schumer (D) penned an open letter to Apple CEO Steve Jobs. Taking aim the lingering reception issues that you may have heard about by now, Schumer called on Jobs and his company to get to the bottom of this mess before the iPhone 4 ultimately serves to undermine the "many benefits of this innovative device."

At the end of the day, however, Schumer wants what we all want: answers and explanations. In the letter, New York's senior senator requests a "written explanation of the formula that is used to calculate bar strength." I think we would all enjoy Apple's response to that request. But, who knows? Perhaps at Apple's press conference tomorrow, Senator Schumer (along with rest of us Apple fans/critics) will finally get some answers and satisfaction out of Cupertino.

Here's Senator Schumer's letter to Steve Jobs in full:

Dear Mr. Jobs,

I write to express concern regarding the reception problem with the Apple iPhone 4. While I commend Apple’s innovative approach to mobile technology and appreciate its service to millions of iPhone users nationwide, I believe it is incumbent upon Apple to address this flaw in a transparent manner. According to Consumer Reports’ review, released Monday on its website, the iPhone 4’s signal-strength problem is a hardwire glitch triggered by gripping the device in a particular manner. This finding, according to Consumer Reports, “call[s] into question” Apple’s recent claim that the problem is “largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software.” Consumer Reports declined to recommend the iPhone 4 because of this hardware design flaw.

Given the discrepancy between Consumer Reports’ explanation of the reception problem and the explanation provided by Apple in its July 2 letter to customers, I am concerned that the nearly two million purchasers of the iPhone 4 may not have complete information about the quality of the product they have purchased. The burden for consumers caused by this glitch, combined with the confusion over its cause and how it will be fixed, has the potential to undermine the many benefits of this innovative device.

To address this concern, I ask that Apple provide iPhone 4 customers with a clearly written explanation of the cause of the reception problem and make a public commitment to remedy it free-of-charge. The solutions offered to date by Apple for dealing with the so-called “death grip” malfunction-such as holding the device differently, or buying a cover for it-seem to be insufficient. These proposed solutions would unfairly place the burden on consumers for resolving a problem they were not aware of when they purchased their phones.

I also encourage Apple to keep its promise to provide free software updates so that bars displayed accurately reflect signal strength; I further urge Apple to issue a written explanation of the formula it uses to calculate bar strength, so that consumers can once again trust the product that they have invested in.

I look forward to Apple’s swift action on this matter, and once again laud Apple for its innovative efforts and service to millions of Americans.

Sincerely,
    Charles E. Schumer

New York Senator Charles Schumer

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-15-2010), prankz55 (07-15-2010), Project42 (07-16-2010), reaves205 (07-15-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

seems a little premature for their involvement. It's not causing harm and has only been out a month.
    Really?

Thanks
    What the heck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bigtheo01 For This Useful Post:

lsufan51 (07-16-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone wareagle5693's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I don't really like Democrats, but way to go Congressman Schumer

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wareagle5693 For This Useful Post:

enrygie (07-15-2010), Who_Dat (07-15-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Vote desperate tool jumping on a current "controversy" to gain political steam, absolutely nothing more.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ClerkDante For This Useful Post:

thisisasticup (07-15-2010)

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle5693 View Post
    +1, but it's senator
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is a mess for apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know. I'd be pretty pissed off if that was happing to me, which it was but on the 3gs rogers replaced it only after having to fight with them but its annoying especially when you use your iphone for work.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    Vote desperate tool jumping on a current "controversy" to gain political steam, absolutely nothing more.
    This seems like the real reason
    Really?

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    seems a little premature for their involvement. It's not causing harm and has only been out a month.
    Yeah your right, it's not causing any harm.

People that are in between jobs expecting important phone calls from employers "Hold on Steve told me not to hold it this way I'll call you right back!"
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zinjen For This Useful Post:

kingbijan (07-15-2010), stlcaddie (07-15-2010)

Thanks

Apple should let us all keep our current iphone 4 and give us another, while also extending the applecare another year.. lmao yeah that will be the day! haha

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Boy I almost feel sorry for Apple.

Almost.

I have a hunch. Who else thinks Apple will start charging for software updates in an attempt to recover their losses IF they issue a recall?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks Senator. But can you do us a favor and actually go to work and GET STUFF DONE for the country instead of writing letters to Steve Jobs?

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OpenIntro For This Useful Post:

creasy425 (07-15-2010), dr.stevil (07-15-2010), flash66 (07-15-2010), Infamous_clown (07-15-2010), tecpunk64 (07-16-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone wareagle5693's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    +1, but it's senator
    Senator/Congressman is the same thing basically. Anyone in Congress, whether they're a Senator or Representative can still be called Congressman.

Banned
    Thanks

Wow....just wow!

What's next?? Arizona to pass an anti iphone 4 law???

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle5693 View Post
    in essence, if you like what just happened here, you should also like democrats...

politicians should work on getting things done instead of writing letters and they should stay out of companies' business...once they sort out their own work then maybee it'll be ok for them to try to critique other companies on bigger problems than this...BP rings a bell....but your probably right...not having reception is a much bigger problem lmfao
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to wannabprogramma For This Useful Post:

dr.stevil (07-15-2010)

Thanks

i personally think that he made a good point in the letter. i didnt know that it was bad when i bought mine. i think that they should make the way that they measure signal strength public also, so we dont get gased. i also like the fact that his voice is louder than mine so it will get some consideration. my 2 cents
    Last edited by carolinamic; 07-15-2010 at 12:24 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to carolinamic For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-15-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro View Post
    Thanks Senator. But can you do us a favor and actually go to work and GET STUFF DONE for the country instead of writing letters to Steve Jobs?
    Yeah, really. This country and NY in specific has bigger issues to deal with than the reception of a stupid cell phone.

Sadly, this isn't the least bit surprising. Schumer is a dipshit

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

1. is its not his political rally to do such a thing, but the request of thousands of letters he probably recieved to inquire on a solution for the iphone4.
    2. After a month of denial and "Don't hold it that way" qoutes, consumers didn't really get anywhere, as far as getting the problem fixed.
    3. For a coorporate this big, little customers aren't going to do anything, you need strong people such as this Senator to make say on behalf of all of us that experience problems with this phone.
    4. Apple lied...right to everyone's face, there is no covering and trying to protect them, they knew device was faulty, but greed got the best of them...now losing billions in stocks, its definetly not the end to this drama.
    I don't care if he is a politician or not, he is a key player for everyone who has problems with the phone...to FIND A RESOLUTION!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maxidrom2002 For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-15-2010), carolinamic (07-15-2010), realtimedeath (07-15-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Yeah your right, it's not causing any harm.

People that are in between jobs expecting important phone calls from employers "Hold on Steve told me not to hold it this way I'll call you right back!"
    What a joke. Yes, because people who are "between jobs" should be buying luxury items like a high end smartphone.

Hey Sen Schumer, why don't you try to create JOBS instead of writing letters to JOBS?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to jomo25 For This Useful Post:

mik3y08 (07-15-2010)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast