+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Knew of iPhone 4 Antenna Problems During 2009 Design Phase

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Steve Jobs Knew of iPhone 4 Antenna Problems During 2009 Design Phase

Speaking truth to power is never easy. But, last year, one intrepid iPhone 4 engineer told Apple chief Steve Jobs that the design of the iPhone 4 was ripe for antenna and reception problems. Shortly before the June 2010 launch of the updated Apple smartphone, executives were warned once again of the device's intermittently fatal reception flaw.

Bloomberg News reported Thursday that Ruben Caballero, a "senior engineer and antenna expert" with Apple, notified his company of the design weaknesses that would produce the widespread call dropping and service interruptions via the "Death Grip" phenomenon. Make no mistake about it, Steve Jobs knew of the problem during the design phase of the iPhone 4. In other words, the complaints that have since leveled the Cupertino tech-giant shouldn't have come as such a surprise.

Apple’s industrial design team, led by Jonathan Ive, submitted several iPhone designs before Jobs and other executives settled on the bezel antenna, said the person familiar with the company’s design. Caballero, the antenna expert, voiced concern in early planning meetings that it might lead to dropped calls and presented a serious engineering challenge, the person said.
    Apple's response to the Bloomberg report? As expected, there is no response. And Apple won't let Caballero talk either. Steve Dowling, a spokesman for Apple, refused to "make Caballero available for an interview." Bloomberg also noted that Caballero "didn’t respond to a call and an e-mail seeking comment." When Apple cracks the whip...

In response to the negative rock e'm, sock 'em media attention given to the iPhone 4 this week, Apple will hold a scheduled press conference in Cupertino tomorrow that will focus exclusively on the iPhone 4 and the lingering reception issues. The press conference will begin Friday, July 16th at 10:00 am PST.

Bloomberg

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Baz1205 (07-15-2010), carolinamic (07-15-2010), charlyc (07-15-2010), enmanuelgarcia (07-15-2010), eserfeliz (07-15-2010), Freerunnering (07-15-2010), iphonerookie (07-15-2010), mr.sparky (07-15-2010), Tweetix (07-15-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

pwned.

so now we know why the press conference was called: damage control.

adp
    Thanks

Selling products which they knew were faulty...I smell Congressional Hearing.

I just hope they do the right thing tomorrow. Along those lines...

Last edited by adp; 07-15-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (07-17-2010), k.nitsua (07-15-2010), kingbijan (07-15-2010), leathelisor (07-15-2010), LSZ33 (07-15-2010), prankz55 (07-15-2010)

Thanks

i qouted someone yesterday about the white iphone, my response was that jobs probably knew of this and wanted to push the release anyway and whenever the white comes out this should not be a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ecd5000 For This Useful Post:

diobayish (07-15-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

as if this comes a surprise to anyone. how could you not know your phone had a serious design flaw until after you released it?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k0mpresd For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (07-15-2010), szr (07-16-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well im sure steve was hoping this story never came out. But seriously, did they just hope people would think its really "cool engineering" and that the antenna issue would go unnoticed?

REMEMBER STEVE JOBS, ITS A CELL PHONE, IT CANT HAVE ANTENNA PROBLEMS FROM HOLDING IT, WHO CARES IF IT'S "COOL ENGINEERING" WHEN THE SUPPOSED "BEST CONSUMER TECHNOLOGY ON THE MARKET" DROPS CALLS FROM NORMAL USE.

I'm waiting for what they have to say at this press conference

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fearls101 For This Useful Post:

Chityuulay (07-15-2010), Imsorussian (07-15-2010), kingbijan (07-15-2010)

Thanks

Hmmm time to grab some popcorn and watch them dance lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pokerizer For This Useful Post:

kingbijan (07-15-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

anyone want to short apple's stock with me?

Thanks

Such an awesome phone. It's a shame he/they allowed something like this to pass through. Stevie really dropped the ball on this one

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't believe everything you read.
    Common sense tells me this is not true for manny reasons.

And before you start i am not 1 of those apple fanboy and i do believe in the reception problem.
    But i do not believe apple and/or steve knew about this problem.

This problem already and will probably cost apple alot of money and if you had this knowledge beforehand they know it would cost them dearly.

So again common sense tells me this story is a load of....

Thanks

They clearly thought the bumper would solve the problem, albeit inelegantly, which it does for most people. As others have mentioned in other threads, when was the last time Apple made a big deal about an accessory and when did they even offer a 'case' they made? The way the external antenna looked, and maybe the internal space it saved, won the argument.

Frankly, even if it didn't solve my antenna problem, I'd have a bumper anyway. The soft rubber edges keep the phone from sliding around on smooth surfaces that are even slightly angled.
    Last edited by MikePA; 07-15-2010 at 10:00 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Of course they knew about it. First of all they had to test the phone and it was unusual for apple to make cases for the iPhone. The bumpers only cover the sides that's pretty obvious why. They were too far in the project to revert back and chance the design and time was running out because everyone was expecting a new iPhone.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I for one hope Apple just goes completely belly up over this...maybe some other company will pick up the iPhone idea and do it RIGHT!!!
    Bcon

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Interestingly, they marketed the iPhone with the antenna being a selling point... and now, we are starting to see it has no point.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagleye For This Useful Post:

JasonM163 (07-15-2010), szr (07-16-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meglomaniac View Post

And before you start i am not 1 of those apple fanboy and i do believe in the reception problem.

This problem already and will probably cost apple alot of money and if you had this knowledge beforehand they know it would cost them dearly.

Yes but Apple couldn't afford to delay their launch at all. The Droid Incredible launched at nearly the same time and it's toe to toe with the iPhone 4 in nearly every aspect and actually better on some parts. Apple knew if they delayed they might lose some potential buyers...apparently Stevie boy thought he could just ignore everyone and we'd just buy a case and call it good....WRONG!!!
    Bcon

iPhone? More like MyPhone j.eck.art.3d's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLADEofthePOPE View Post
    Such an awesome phone. It's a shame he/they allowed something like this to pass through. Stevie really dropped the ball on this one
    Don't you mean dropped the "Call" on this one?

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j.eck.art.3d For This Useful Post:

dale1v (07-15-2010), mortopher (07-16-2010), Nepptune77 (07-15-2010), redwolf (07-15-2010), Windmeel (07-15-2010)

Thanks

it is kinda funny that they had the bumpers in the opening viewing of this product... and i don't think it was meant to be an accessory...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLADEofthePOPE View Post
    Not just anyone, but Jobs according to the article.

This is what happens when you let stylist design something and ignoring your engineers. Not surprising though most Apple products looks good, and in most cases engineers can work around the design. I guess not this time. Can't wait to see how Jobs get out of this one. Be prepared to be reminded of your iPhone4 failures on every key note speech Jobs.

Jobs introducing iPhone 5 "I can not get on Wifi for some reason"... "Maybe you are holding it wrong!" says the crowd.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

Nepptune77 (07-15-2010)

Thanks

Common sense tells everyone else how could they not know about this design flaw... Unless they just didn't test the phone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

My reason that Apple and Steve Jobs knew about the "Death Grip" issue is that I can not recall a WWDC that they introduced an accessory "Bumpers". Why would they endorse the bumpers at the WWDC if they didn't know about the problem. Also this is the reason why the Gizmodo "lost Iphone" was in a case not for disguise but to avoid the "Death Grip" issue.

-Luis

+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast