+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Some iPhone 4 Buyers Think Devices Are Already Being Built Differently

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Gizmodo and iFixit are giving widespread attention to new reports that allege Apple is already revamping its iPhone 4 building process to curb the lingering reception issues and so-called "Death
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Some iPhone 4 Buyers Think Devices Are Already Being Built Differently

Gizmodo and iFixit are giving widespread attention to new reports that allege Apple is already revamping its iPhone 4 building process to curb the lingering reception issues and so-called "Death Grip" phenomenon. Naturally, even without "sources" and "reports" corroborating this suspicion, one would only hope that Apple is doing something internally to prevent more potentially defective or flawed products from entering the marketplace.

Those I've spoken with who have purchased iPhone 4s within the past few days and discovered a more recent production run haven't yet experienced the same nagging antenna bug that sparked the recent turmoil. While Apple hasn't formally announced a manufacturing change, the iPhone 4 population among us is so substantial (and still growing) that it is monumentally difficult to assess if the most recently produced iPhone 4s are no longer experiencing the problems of the first production runs.

"We've received only one report," notes Gizmodo,"so take it with a hill of salt: A Gizmodo reader claims that, after Apple replaced his iPhone 4, he couldn't reproduce the sharp loss of signal. He says that the hardware seems slightly different." This report, however, coincides with the findings of an iFixit investigation. "We got an independent report of a similarly updated phone from a member of our community," notes a report on the iFixit blog, "so we decided to investigate. We exchanged one of our units (that had been experiencing unrelated problems with its Bluetooth connection) to see Apple has changed the manufacturing process since their initial production run."

Needless to say, it will take some time to better assess whether Apple has already begun an unspoken recall of sorts by stealthily revising the manufacturing and product build of the iPhone 4.

Stay tuned...

Gizmodo
    iFixit

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

chrisangel13 (07-14-2010), dsanchez (07-14-2010), Freerunnering (07-14-2010), k.nitsua (07-14-2010), Mateor (07-14-2010), reaves205 (07-14-2010)

Thanks

funny cause i got my iPhone on Tuesday of last week and never had any issues... i wonder how far back this goes...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I got my iPhone the 23rd, pre-ordered opening pre-order day, and I've never had any problems with signal strength when i hold it a certain way. I think the media is blowing this WAY out of proportion.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spiderguy84 For This Useful Post:

chrisangel13 (07-14-2010), flaviocontreras (07-14-2010), KingCane (07-14-2010), kyevey (07-14-2010), monkey.penllwyn (07-14-2010), reanimationxp (07-14-2010), shortie7992 (07-14-2010)

adp
    Thanks

Although these are all rumors, I wouldn't be surprised. Apple was working on the iPhone 4 more than 6 months prior to releasing the 3GS. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they say "screw you" to all of us who ordered our iPhone 4's earlier. Someday when they're going down the drain, they'll realize that this is not the way to do proper business.
    Last edited by adp; 07-14-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

Adilcoolrocks (07-14-2010), creasy425 (07-14-2010), FerociouzLoko (07-14-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Got my Iphone 4 on the 5th of July and thankfully no problems regarding signal strength whilst holding in any position. Bars remain full.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i dont think you need to worry. buddies IP4 had some signal indicator bars dropped when he held it a certain way. he made an appoinment at the genius bar and demenstrated. they then replaced his phone.

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    So F all of us who ordered our iPhone 4's early?? Thanks Apple

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I got my preordered iPhone and every call that lasts longer than a few minutes will somehow be placed on mute. I do get random dropped calls moreso than I did with my 3GS. I use my headphones for calls when I can to avoid having issues. This is a real problem.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezzard For This Useful Post:

Chityuulay (07-14-2010), KingCane (07-14-2010)

Thanks

its funny you guys mentioned this cus im on my 2nd iphone 4. I preordered mine and got it the 23rd and had to return it back to apple cus it had promixity sensor issues and i also noticed the bars decreasing with the "death grip" I got a replacement phone and it works flawlessly. I have a case for it but i did the death grip without the case and still had full service. I even did a speed test on the old and new one and there was a difference. So who knows, they may already be sending new redesigned ones out

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BoostedEvoIX For This Useful Post:

brbortscheller (07-14-2010)

Thanks

Ive never had any problems either, nor has the other 5 people that bought one opening day when I did. Unless it was a production run problem I think its a crock or atleast a out of proportion reason to hate on Apple......

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    i dont think you need to worry. buddies IP4 had some signal indicator bars dropped when he held it a certain way. he made an appoinment at the genius bar and demenstrated. they then replaced his phone.
    That's a very isolated event. Most of the people I've heard that took their phones to the store either got rejected or were asked to leave. A guy in my local Apple store was asked to leave after he showed the Apple reps of the signal problems on their model phones on display.

Green Apple
    Thanks

How many people "think" this?

I call BS.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I had my personal iPhone 4 replaced 3 times ON launch day. The final replacement I was given has not had a single issue. I have tried to reproduce the "death grip" and can not.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    I had my personal iPhone 4 replaced 3 times ON launch day. The final replacement I was given has not had a single issue. I have tried to reproduce the "death grip" and can not.
    What were the reasons for replacement, signal?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I plan on using my old 3GS to record myself on a call with the phone placed on my face and showing how the proximity sensor screws up on every call I make or take.
    Last edited by Ezzard; 07-14-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: 3G doesn't record video

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

in a week take it back and say you have the signal issue and get it replaced and see if you have the newer one (if there is a newer one)
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Green Apple
    Thanks

OMG Not another thread about " who has reception and who does not please" i beg you LOL.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spiderguy84 View Post
    I got my iPhone the 23rd, pre-ordered opening pre-order day, and I've never had any problems with signal strength when i hold it a certain way. I think the media is blowing this WAY out of proportion.
    Are you MAD? Media blowing this way out of proportion? There have been over half a million complaints!
    Last edited by kingbijan; 07-14-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: some gypsy told me to

Thanks

I agree 100%

Green Apple
    Thanks

No they're not...I speak from experience. I love my iPhone 4 but the thing is so freakin' glitchy it's ridiculous!!!
    Bcon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingbijan View Post
    Are you retarded? Media blowing this way out of proportion? There have been over half a million complaints you douchebag.
    BE NICE AND EDIT YOUR POST before a mod decides to discipline you.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LastSonOfKrypton For This Useful Post:

kingbijan (07-14-2010)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast