+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible iPhone 4 Recall Growing More Likely By The Day

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple has given no indication that it will even entertain the notion of an iPhone 4 product recall, let alone actually implement one. But growing calls from inside the tech
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Possible iPhone 4 Recall Growing More Likely By The Day

Apple has given no indication that it will even entertain the notion of an iPhone 4 product recall, let alone actually implement one. But growing calls from inside the tech world and mounting pressure from consumers and media outlets to repair the "Death Grip" may not leave Apple with much of a choice but to do so... and soon.

On the heels of the house-rocking Consumer Reports tests that were published to Apple's chagrin, further evidence that the iPhone 4's reception problems are related to hardware flaws, not software bugs may have put the final nail in the coffin for Apple on this issue. And while the jury will be officially out until Cupertino releases their promised and much awaited software update (and supposed fix), few are holding their breath in anticipation of the update actually solving the problem.

Today, our friends at Cult of Mac presented comments from PR experts who say that a massive recall could be the only way out of this PR nightmare for Apple. Because, while the sales for the iPhone 4 remain staggering, the lingering effects of this debacle - including future sales of future gen iPhones - could be irreparably damaged if the company further botches the handling of the Death Grip and its ultimate repair.

“Apple will be forced to do a recall of this product,” warns Professor Matthew Seeger, a so-called "expert in crisis communication." He adds: “It’s critically important. The brand image is the most important thing Apple has. This is potentially devastating.” Chiming in on the matter is Dr. Larry Barton, another authority on crisis management and the author of "Crisis Leadership Now." Barton says: “Apple needs to put this fire out now. There has to be a military-like response to this issue. And we have not seen this kind of urgency.”

So far, Apple's best efforts have been to (1) deny the problem (2) try to make us think it's a software issue (3) delete negative threads about the Death Grip on Apple.com. Hardly seems like the proper way for an organization of this size to manage a crisis. And perhaps for this very reason, Apple will soon take unprecedented steps to undo the damage done by the device's flaws, and the company's own flawed response to the matter.

Cult of Mac
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 07-13-2010 at 09:57 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (07-13-2010), BennyPR (07-13-2010), Freerunnering (07-13-2010), LSZ33 (07-13-2010), Project42 (07-13-2010), rainman99 (07-13-2010), reaves205 (07-13-2010), thekid05 (07-13-2010), VaderForce (07-13-2010), White2010 (07-14-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

hahaha maybe you should spell check before you post

adp
    Thanks

I love my iPhone 4. But I have to admit Apple really f'ed up on this one. Not only are they reluctant to accept that this is their mistake, but they are treating customers like trash. I've heard of guys getting kicked out of the local Apple store here in Boca Raton, FL for complaining of the issues. They're also deleting threads in their forums. Ridiculous.

If this is the way a multi-billion company treats the customers who gave them all their profits, then this might be the last time I purchase a product from them.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

bcon1208 (07-13-2010), BennyPR (07-13-2010), coolguy742 (07-13-2010), creolesoul (07-14-2010), durdan1 (07-13-2010), LSZ33 (07-13-2010), reanimationxp (07-13-2010), stlcaddie (07-13-2010), White2010 (07-14-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm actually considering getting a Droid X because of this. Weird.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turdsmoka For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (07-13-2010), HeartGoldZephyr95 (07-14-2010)

Thanks

A recall ... That would be EPIC

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mine works fine. Guess I got lucky?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to centriod For This Useful Post:

creolesoul (07-14-2010)

Thanks

Im happy with my G1. Dont need an iPhone 4.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just FYI. I have experience the death grip in Michigan and Chicago but the only place I couldn't notice the death grip was at my local Apple store, even when covering the whole steel band with both hands...something is just not right 

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    I love my iPhone 4. But I have to admit Apple really f'ed up on this one. Not only are they reluctant to accept that this is their mistake, but they are treating customers like trash. I've heard of guys getting kicked out of the local Apple store here in Boca Raton, FL for complaining of the issues. They're also deleting threads in their forums. Ridiculous.

If this is the way a multi-billion company treats the customers who gave them all their profits, then this might be the last time I purchase a product from them.
    The people at that apple store are a$$holes. I got my 3g and ip4 there and every time it was a PITA to get them to take car of you and give you a straight answer. I checked the screen on my ip4 when he gave it to me and he got mad at me holding up the line instead of leaving the store.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wrcsti For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (07-13-2010), reanimationxp (07-13-2010), sh33436 (07-13-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone KingRedmer's Avatar
    Thanks

"Apple with much of a choice but to do so... and son."
    Lol, but really, what a headache a mass return of these phones would be. Choice of headaches:
    Stand in line again to GIVE MY PHONE BACK(no italics on iPhone )
    or deal with less than perfect reception.
    I know my answer.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post

i live about 30 minutes north of you in Wellington, and every time i go into the apple store, i'm forced to wait long amounts of time, just to speak to a representative. then once i do talk to someone, i tell them the problem and they say they cant help me. customer service has really taking a hit since the iphone 4 came out and its disappointing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ipod touch u For This Useful Post:

sh33436 (07-13-2010)

Thanks

Mine works fine everywhere but at my house when I hold it that way. But I just got my Case-Mate ID case in, so far no problems, and I love the case!

Thanks

This had better not delay those iPod 4's!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

my mate is planing to buy 5 iPhones4, if that the case i should tell him not to do so!

What do u think ???

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Oh look, another 'story' by Messany. There's no real facts here, Apple is selling te things faster than they can make them, people are waiting with bated breath to buy the white one, and people are still clamoring to get ahold of them. This is another useless 'news' story. Seriously, report facts not hearsay and speculation please. Where's the article about PlanetBeing posting a pic of his unlocked phone and Cydia running on it? Why can't you post real news instead of this garbage?
    You have to realize that this news post is not just here. Do you consider CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Reuters, real news then? It's also there:

[ame=http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2010/07/13/consumer.reports.iphone.review.cnn]Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com[/ame]

FOXNews.com - Apple Censoring Discussions of Consumer Reports iPhone Review

Consumer Reports faults iPhone 4 antenna in test - Local News - Rochester, NY - News - msnbc.com

Consumer Reports will not recommend Apple iPhone 4 | Reuters

Should I go on?
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

alcapown (07-13-2010), BennyPR (07-13-2010), Cer0 (07-13-2010), iPhoneMadness (07-13-2010), samurai_vara (07-13-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxyBoii2K10 View Post
    lol first comment =]

dam u beat me!!!!!
    ^ Seriously, get a life...

I received my free bumpers today courtesy of Apple. You know, the ones they were not going to give out.
    If a recall is what it takes, they should nut up and do it. I have been very dismayed at how Apple handled this whole mess. The biggest question is how did this make it out of R&D like this? Then to have Apple tell us we are all imagining the problem is ludicrous.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Oh look, another 'story' by Messany. There's no real facts here, Apple is selling te things faster than they can make them, people are waiting with bated breath to buy the white one, and people are still clamoring to get ahold of them. This is another useless 'news' story. Seriously, report facts not hearsay and speculation please. Where's the article about PlanetBeing posting a pic of his unlocked phone and Cydia running on it? Why can't you post real news instead of this garbage?
    stop being an *** and shut up, he works hard to bring us information and doesnt need you to tell him what to do, grow up and leave it alone.

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ipod touch u For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-13-2010), iNT3Rv3NTiONZz (07-13-2010), iSteed (07-13-2010), Maxidrom2002 (07-13-2010), Os7.1.0 (07-13-2010), StevenB (07-13-2010), Tenspeed123 (07-13-2010), Who_Dat (07-13-2010), yentrog31 (07-13-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wrcsti View Post
    The people at that apple store are a$. I got my 3g and ip4 there and every time it was a PITA to get them to take car of you and give you a straight answer. I checked the screen on my ip4 when he gave it to me and he got mad at me holding up the line instead of leaving the store.
    In order for you to work at an Apple store. You have to take an A hole test to get the job. My brother-in-law is an assistant manager at an Apple store. And he is the biggest A hole i know.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vindutch For This Useful Post:

///Maybach (07-13-2010), JEsTer10 (07-13-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Recall that piece of ****. I'm tired of dropped calls and slow 3G.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to tudtran For This Useful Post:

kraziebone (07-13-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vandale View Post
    Im happy with my G1. Dont need an iPhone 4.
    A g1?? Your not serious are you? It doesn't even compare to an iPhone any generation iPhone for that matter.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to centriod For This Useful Post:

creolesoul (07-14-2010), reanimationxp (07-13-2010)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast