+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Deletes Threads Discussing Consumer Reports iPhone 4 Diss

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple left more than a few folks scratching their heads Monday evening. Pointed out by TUAW shortly after Apple's deletion frenzy, somebody in Cupertino - or at least some of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Deletes Threads Discussing Consumer Reports iPhone 4 Diss

Apple left more than a few folks scratching their heads Monday evening. Pointed out by TUAW shortly after Apple's deletion frenzy, somebody in Cupertino - or at least some of Apple's most loyal moderators - were apparently displeased with the rampant thread posts on Apple's website. These threads, of course, served only to prolong the discussion of Consumer Reports' earlier withdrawal of its recommendation for the iPhone 4 due to lingering Death Grip issues.

Well, we can't have that now, can we? This, presumably, was the thinking of the mods who literally dumped all threads relating to the Consumer Reports PR debacle that began earlier in the day. Naturally, the omission of the threads on Apple's website will actually do little to mitigate the seriousness of the Consumer Reports fallout. After all, most of us became aware of the publication's iPhone 4 review in any one of a million different publications and websites before any word of it was uttered on Apple.com.

In case you haven't noticed before, Apple actually has a history of deleting threads that are deemed unfavorable to the company. TUAW author TJ Luoma put it this way:

Sadly, this isn't the first time we've heard about Apple deleting discussion board threads on topics which are unflattering to Apple's products. It's closer to the fiftieth time. In fact, we've heard so many reports about this happening that it seems safe to call this standard operating procedure for Apple's discussion boards. That's not to say that there are no negative threads on the discussion boards, but the ones that are there are the ones that Apple's moderators have decided to leave active.
    Although a half-dozen threads were deleted, some were saved in caches as noted by Apple Insider.

It's almost inconceivable that the decision to yank the threads was made by an executive at Apple. If so, the suits in Cupertino may not be as bright as some would like to think. The fallout from the company's deletion of customer-driven threads - no matter how unflattering - will certainly be worse for the company's image than if it had simply left well enough alone. After all, many Apple fans wouldn't have even been aware of these disparaging threads if not for all the attention Apple is now receiving for having deleted them.

TUAW
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 07-12-2010 at 11:57 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (07-13-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone therandy's Avatar
    Thanks

Lmao...poor poor apple

Thanks

That's just sad.. They can't even handle hearing the truth.
    If I helped you in any way slap that thanks button

Subscribe to me on YouTube
    Follow me on Twitter

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xxfr0stbytexx For This Useful Post:

elfboyz (07-13-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder how bald Jobs is going to be when he announces the next iPod touch.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

hollow0 (07-13-2010), iRoach74 (07-13-2010)

Thanks

Yikes!

While the folks at Apple are certainly within their rights to 'nip & tuck' their discussion boards to their liking, this definitely won't serve to win them any points and in fact, will likely only fan the flames of a subject that otherwise would have died out in a week or so.

As a mod on one forum and the admin on another, I can tell you most definitely, the only things people hate more on a forum than a troll is staff overreacting to criticism* and pointless censorship. And, wow, does this reek of both. :S

*NOTE: I said criticism not attacks(verbal abuse).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ~rage For This Useful Post:

szr (07-14-2010)

Thanks

I get the feeling that Apple just doesnt give a damn about what ppl think or what reviews say. Anyone else feel that way?
    They just want to block out all the diss and still think they made an awesome iphone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightz View Post
    i get the feeling that apple just doesnt give a damn about what ppl think or what reviews say. Anyone else feel that way?
    They just want to block out all the diss and still think they an awesome iphone.
    lol! Qft.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 28skater28 For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-14-2010), CMOSlabs (07-13-2010), cpotoso (07-13-2010), creasy425 (07-14-2010), DayumQuitPlayin (07-13-2010), ultimatexpka (07-14-2010), wreclusrob (07-21-2010)

Thanks

haha wow apple..
    Failure is not an option - iNyuke Dont be afraid to press the Thanks button! >>>>>>>>>>

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yea What else should we expect from Apple Inc !! now That's the only thing they are good at now days Deleting People's Post.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This post is pretty much just weird apple bashing in my opinion.

Of course they delete it, that forum is a SUPPORT forum for people who have problems with their iphone, not some place to discuss reviews o.O they also delete all other things that are not related to support (best example: rumours about upcoming products)

only natural, in the end that is an official support forum where people go to seek help and not just a free discussion forum like MMi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 28skater28 View Post
    Thats the best thing i have ever seen!! Rotflmao!!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks

New here, forgive me for saying, but the Apple discussion forums are for technical questions and technical answers (it says so in their terms of use). I can't see the relevance of a news article being posted under those circumstances, how will it help anyone with signal issues? It's the same on all technical web boards, so what's the diff? It's also funny to read all the "anti apple" posts on many topics on this site mostly comes from PC affiliated users. Don't they have rules about flaming on this site considering this is an "All Apple news" blog? Anything critical on MS boards wouldn't last a second either. Just because you may buy one Apple product in your lifetime doesn't give anyone eternal bashing rights. My MS Vista frustrations don't have me racing on their blogs bashing them day in, day out. I just stopped buying their stuff, simple. Here's a quick tip: Don't like the company, don't buy from them!!!! And if you feel aggrieved, join a class action.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

Ha ha nice glove

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
    New here, forgive me for saying, but the Apple discussion forums are for technical questions and technical answers (it says so in their terms of use). I can't see the relevance of a news article being posted under those circumstances, how will it help anyone with signal issues? It's the same on all technical web boards, so what's the diff? It's also funny to read all the "anti apple" posts on many topics on this site mostly comes from PC affiliated users. Don't they have rules about flaming on this site considering this is an "All Apple news" blog? Anything critical on MS boards wouldn't last a second either. Just because you may buy one Apple product in your lifetime doesn't give anyone eternal bashing rights. My MS Vista frustrations don't have me racing on their blogs bashing them day in, day out. I just stopped buying their stuff, simple. Here's a quick tip: Don't like the company, don't buy from them!!!! And if you feel aggrieved, join a class action.
    You sound like Steve Jobs.Fix my freakin' phone will ya!

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

This reaction to delete customer reviews of the iPhone 4 may be a beautiful sign!!! If they are going as far as this, then hopefully that means 4.0.X is just around the corner!!!

Let the big guns release the fury!!!!

MuscleNerd, PlanetBeing,Screw make it Ra1n!!

"MAKE IT POUR"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

haha hopefully this does mean exactly what u said!! hop they release osx 4.0.1
    Failure is not an option - iNyuke Dont be afraid to press the Thanks button! >>>>>>>>>>

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gafu View Post
    You sound like Steve Jobs.Fix my freakin' phone will ya!
    You just proved my point, thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 28skater28 View Post
    Looks really cool but would you really consider being in public wearing that?

Thanks

lol haha that glove looks nice but yet also funny at the sametime lol