Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skype and fring Go Toe-to-Toe

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Skype and fring Go Toe-to-Toe

The makers of the cross-platform communications app fring are calling Skype "cowards" and Skype is threatening to sue, as disputes between the two VoIP developers erupted into open warfare. The point of contention is fring's video chat feature, which allowed for Skype video calls over 3G, until Skype pulled the plug. Skype claims that the service is being blocked because fring breached their developer agreement, while fring is accusing Skype of being "afraid of open mobile communication."

The fring app has enabled two-way video calling for some time, allowing Android and Symbian users to go face to face. The iPhone app let you see your cross-platform buddies, but chats were, of course, one way until the iPhone 4's front-facing camera. The fring app had allowed video calling using GoogleTalk, SIP, Twitter and Skype until iPhone 4 users calling their Skype contacts "stressed capacity" on fring's network. As a result, fring pulled the Skype add-on. They claim that when they attempted to restore connectivity after "expanding its network capacity," Skype blocked them. In an angry blog post, fring apologized to its user base "for the inconvenience Skype has caused you."

Skype legal honcho Robert Miller shot back, saying it was fring's decision: "Fring made the decision to remove Skype functionality on its own," Miller wrote on the Skype blog. They did note that "Fring was using Skype software in a way it wasn’t designed to be used," claiming that this was "in breach of Skype’s API Terms of Use and End User License Agreement." So it could be that there is a bit more to the story than Skype is acknowledging.

Skype is threatening to sue fring, nothing that "those developers that do not comply with our terms will be subject to legal enforcement," though it doesn't seem like fring is that interested in working with Skype in the future.

Source: TechCrunch

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (07-13-2010), reaves205 (07-12-2010)

And the end user loses in the end AGAIN.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to j.eck.art.3d For This Useful Post:

ADF (07-12-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow

perhaps if skype would get off it's ***** and update their own iPhone app, this wouldn't be an issue
    Really?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eg6motion For This Useful Post:

ADF (07-12-2010), mbeezy81 (07-12-2010)

^ I second that!
    Huge kudos to Fring for showing the world that video calls was and always has been possible on 3G. I used this briefly the morning it was released (I believe it was Thursday last week) and was looking forward to really rocking it over the weekend, only to find that the plug had been pulled. SHAME on you skype!!!

If you can't do it why not let someone who can do it get on with it??? Better yet, pay and hire the right kind of talent

BIG FAIL for skype
    Last edited by iLaw-One; 07-12-2010 at 02:50 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iLaw-One For This Useful Post:

sh33436 (07-12-2010)

Well , u can still video chat using fring to fring , idk about google talk tho

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Another loss for the customer !!!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Skype needs to get their finger out of if their *** and they need to release a video chat of their own.

In another post Skype said that fringe brought there rep down.... Now just by pulling the plug and not giving an alternative they aren't doing much to save it and are just bringing it down more.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The day I installed it too

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Video-chatting with my girlfriend when I was on my lunch-break was pretty cool, until Fring removed their access to the Skype network. "Facetime" is all fine and dandy, but it'll be a while before any considerable amount of people within my social group have an iPhone 4 so it'd be awesome for Skype to enable two-way calls instead of wasting their time and money on frivolous lawsuits.

U can still use fring to fring video calling...but wait , I heard u say on other threads about not getting an iPhone 4....interesting change of heart

Hmm that means no mobile-to-computer calling for now and no video over 3G either. That sucks, I hope that apple integrates FaceTime into iChat or that since it's now an open standard a 3rd party will pick it up and then we just need a JB + 3G unrestrictor...

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

who cares use skype.

I still video call on 3G on fring....

skype wont work for 2 way video on the iphone.

But fring to fring does....just go to more>add buddy and add a fring user then video call...I call my friends evo or my evo when I want to demonstrate video calling

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    who cares use skype.
    If only they'd update their app for iOS4. Oh, and allow video like fring.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

vedavis (07-12-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast