+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Skype and fring Go Toe-to-Toe

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
We don't know everything for sure here , but my take is that Skype got upstaged, didn't like it, and made a childish move to try to make fring look
...
  1. #21
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts

    We don't know everything for sure here , but my take is that Skype got upstaged, didn't like it, and made a childish move to try to make fring look bad.

    I cut ties with Skype several weeks ago, after seeing them ignore their customers with no iOS 4 backgrounding update--despite showing us a working demo in early April.

    Google Voice + Gizmo5 works great through fring--and it's free. F*** Skype.

  2. #22
    iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Go skype!
    +1

    I never really liked fring anyway...toooo slow.

  3. #23
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 69 Times in 35 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    U can still use fring to fring video calling...but wait , I heard u say on other threads about not getting an iPhone 4....interesting change of heart
    If "u" are talking about me then you must be mistaken, I got my iPhone 4 on launch and was sold the second I saw the new design. Also, my girlfriend has a blackberry so she isn't really capable of fring to fring calling.

  4. #24
    Green Apple Markanthony3211's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    10+ Cool Points For The Picture lol
    "The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

    'Follow Me on Twitter@Markanthony3211' I always Follow Back.

  5. #25
    MMi's "X" Member awesomeSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dragonspiral Tower in 3DS
    Posts
    4,524
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 347 Times in 259 Posts

    The Most Failing Competition Award goes to:

    Skype and fring.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

  6. #26
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Sucks

  7. #27
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    skype is a w anker so expencive and no bluetooth support. fring is wa nker too no bluetooth support.

  8. #28
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    perhaps if skype would get off it's ***** and update their own iPhone app, this wouldn't be an issue
    My thoughts exactly!!!

  9. #29
    Livin the iPhone Life exNavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,031
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 162 Times in 121 Posts

    Please continue the petty bickering.

  10. #30
    Green Apple tamaysz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    Skype and Fring = Fail

    They both have faults, and now their users are ending up losing in the end.
    Please hit the Thanks Button if I've helped you out or if you agree with my post.

  11. #31
    My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travel-Entire US as well as EU
    Posts
    599
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 115 Times in 71 Posts

    Skype...Fring... What ever.. They are not in bed with apple like ATT. It would be nice to use skype but it would be even better if I could use AT&T (which most already pay for) to call fringe skype or what ever. Now that would not only be cool but also make me feel like I'm getting my money worth as a customer...

  12. #32
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Skype...Fring... What ever.. They are not in bed with apple like ATT. It would be nice to use skype but it would be even better if I could use AT&T (which most already pay for) to call fringe skype or what ever. Now that would not only be cool but also make me feel like I'm getting my money worth as a customer...
    Um...you can. I'm on the cheapest AT&T voice plan, using my grandfathered unlimited data plan to VoIP all my calls. Working great so far.

    Now if you're on the 2GB limited data plan, that might cause some problems...

  13. #33
    My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travel-Entire US as well as EU
    Posts
    599
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 115 Times in 71 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by wvcachi View Post
    Um...you can. I'm on the cheapest AT&T voice plan, using my grandfathered unlimited data plan to VoIP all my calls. Working great so far.

    Now if you're on the 2GB limited data plan, that might cause some problems...
    I have unlimited and can't seem to get a mobile to skype number voice call to work. How did you do it?

  14. #34
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    I have unlimited and can't seem to get a mobile to skype number voice call to work. How did you do it?
    Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by "mobile to skype number voice call" . . . Since Skype isn't yet iOS 4-friendly, I'd recommend going a different route for VoIP.

    Here's a thread I did on Google Voice/Gizmo5 on iOS 4. There are other options, but that's what I'm doing.

    Free Google Voice on iOS 4 w/o using minutes

    If you still want to use Skype and you're jailbroken, just get Backgrounder and a quality multitasking app in Cydia, and buy a Skype-to-mobile plan + Skype number, and you'll be set.

    The Skype plan + Skype number comes out to about $8/month (until their "calling over 3G" charges kick in...).
    Last edited by wvcachi; 07-12-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to wvcachi For This Useful Post:

    kuhndsn (07-12-2010)

  16. #35
    My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travel-Entire US as well as EU
    Posts
    599
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 115 Times in 71 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by wvcachi View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by "mobile to skype number voice call" . . . Since Skype isn't yet iOS 4-friendly, I'd recommend going a different route for VoIP.

    Here's a thread I did on Google Voice/Gizmo5 on iOS 4. There are other options, but that's what I'm doing.

    Free Google Voice on iOS 4 w/o using minutes

    If you still want to use Skype and you're jailbroken, just get Backgrounder and a quality multitasking app in Cydia, and buy a Skype-to-mobile plan + Skype number, and you'll be set.

    The Skype plan + Skype number comes out to about $8/month (until their "calling over 3G" charges kick in...).
    Thanks for the tip but I was meaning a cell to voip (someones skype account) and use FaceTime. This use of FaceTime I'm sure will have to wait until everyone plays nice in the tech world of biz or the JB comes out along with savvy programers or apple writes their code to broadcast video in multiple video formats for all software to understand/play.

  17. #36
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts

    Ohhhh.. I gotcha. Yeah, you were right - we can't do that hehehe

  18. #37
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Why dont they just put out a QIK app like they did on EVO for Video Chat? Anyone?

  19. #38
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    skype is better...... always has and always will????

  20. #39
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    fring doesnt work that well. nothing tops facetime

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts