Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T's Free 3G MicroCell Giveaway May Be Far Less Widespread Than Believed

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default AT&T's Free 3G MicroCell Giveaway May Be Far Less Widespread Than Believed

Over the weekend, scant reports began surfacing of AT&T giving away free 3G MicroCells to a select few individuals deemed by the carrier to be 'loyal customers." Since then, adequate coverage has been afforded to these isolated incidents to make it seem as though AT&T has rolled out a massive giveaway rooted in the type of generosity we've never seen from this particular carrier or any other.

But before we all get our hopes up too high, let's hold our feet more firmly to the ground as we dig deeper into this giveaway, which, by all accounts, is anything but a mega-inventory-threatening campaign to give away tons of mini cell towers. As our friends at Apple Insider reported Monday, AT&T has recently distributed "certificates" to "some customers," that effectively serve as coupons for a free 3G MicroCell, a device that works to boost at-home reception strength via broadband Internet connection.

So far, the notes have been linked to a highly targeted category of AT&T customers - those who have either logged a long history of complaints (unconfirmed but highly suspected) or are only weeks away from the end of their two year contract. The carrier's motive, logically, could be to help retain some customers through this MicroCell ploy and potentially bate other customers into staying as a result of the heady one-two punch born of a positive PR boost and the prospect of getting something for free by staying with AT&T.

As far as we can tell, however, the letter from AT&T promising a free 3G MicroCell with no hidden costs or other strings attached has reached only a very, very, very - dare I say "micro" - base of AT&T subscribers. But the clever carrier is picking up the most positive PR it's received in months as a result of the move. That's all fine and good... just don't be under any illusion that you're next in line for a free 3G MicroCell. You're probably not.

Apple Insider
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 07-12-2010 at 10:55 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (07-12-2010)

They don't offer these for free to people who have a history if complaints. I've bitched for 18 months about poor service and they tell me I can't get one for free even after the many many calls I've placed to CS about bad service.

I sure wouldn't mind one of these, but apparently the odds of getting a free one are just about the odds of getting a free bumper case nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanYo View Post
    I sure wouldn't mind one of these, but apparently the odds of getting a free one are just about the odds of getting a free bumper case nowadays.
    instead of the free bumper case, everyone will get a free roll of duct tape to fix the problem

Thanks
    They're probably using this as a cover to help diminish the ifail 4s reception issue. This isn't being given to loyal customers just people that have the ifail 4 who upgraded from the 3G or 3Gs.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

<--- Needs One, Wants One ... Where do I sign up?

Thanks

I know it's stating the obvious, but it's just another stunt by AT&T in hopes of keeping customers. A lot of places offer gimmicks and stuff to stay, but in the end, it's few and far between who'll actually get one of these. I wouldn't be surprised if they promise this to users, then turn their back totally once people get suckered in and locked into a longer or new contract.

My last provider offered me a free smartphone and all kinds of deals if was to stay with them, despite all the problems I had with my phone and that provider. In the end when I finally agreed to stay, they locked me into another contract, then they offered sweet **** all. I ended up telling them where to put their phone, offers, and cancellation fees they tried to hit me with.
    Please hit the Thanks Button if I've helped you out or if you agree with my post.

but this still won't fix the death grip

What's the best way to kill the complainers!?!

Free Cancer

have one, it gives a terrible delay in voice!!!

Back in late May, I was on the verge of cancelling my service due to horrible service at my house. I was transferred to AT&T’s customer retention team and they were more than happy to give me $90 off my bill to make the puchase of a new micro cell free. The $90 was for the $50 not covered by the Mail in rebate and $40 for the two months of unlimited micro cell calling(Unlimited Micro calling required at time of rebate validation ).

Oh yeah, I have 3G service now, but it constantly garbles the incoming voice. Very irritating.

Why should they use my bandwith ti fix their crappy signal?? Fack them!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iadventure View Post
    have one, it gives a terrible delay in voice!!!
    I have one out in the middle of nowhere that JUST meets the speed requirements (which I figured would cause some issues) and I have no issues whatsoever. Im also on a iPhone 4 with no issues with the "Death Grip." I can't even get it lose one bar. I haven't tested it in a real 3G network though since I live in the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    They don't offer these for free to people who have a history if complaints. I've bitched for 18 months about poor service and they tell me I can't get one for free even after the many many calls I've placed to CS about bad service.
    Maybe your not a loyal customer

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by center_99_99 View Post
    Oh yeah, I have 3G service now, but it constantly garbles the incoming voice. Very irritating.
    Maybe check for things around the house that could be affecting it? I had this Black & Decker thing plugged in that supposed to somehow keep spiders out and I noticed that it was giving me some interference.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Windmeel For This Useful Post:

ctstiffler (07-12-2010)

Don't you have to pay per month to use this? Kinda dumb you have to pay more in order to get additional coverage in an area where there is supposed to be coverage in the first place.

I was on the phone with at&t and all they did was apologize about my dropped calls and sent me to tech support. All the tech guy did was tell me to go to my nearest at&t store and pick up a new sim card.

Looking to cancel my overpriced LAN line, I was shopping around different VOIP options. Most of the options I looked at where around the 25-30 range for monthly fees and it did not include the equipment. (With the exception of Skype, which is incredibly cheap, but for my needs most expensive on equipment.)

I found the 3G Micro tower, which to me seemed just as good as an other VOIP. Figured 150 dollars on par with the other options, with a slightly cheaper montly fee, I was sold.

When I got there, they gave the device to me for free (less than a week ago) and that was that. I told one of my co-workers and he got one for free too (though he had to upgrade his plan to at least 700 minutes to qualify since he was on a legacy plan, which was a wash anyways, since he paid the exact same for his 600 minute plan).

So that's two free Micro Towers last week. Neither one of us are complainers in AT&Ts eyes. His contract was up, but mine has a little over a year left. I don't have an iPhone4 yet still on 3G&3GS.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Reception Problems ?
    Maybe it's the wind from your A** as you try to dial?!?

ATT FAIL!

[quote=oo3;5338928]Don't you have to pay per month to use this? QUOTE]

No, You have to pay $20 a month for unlimited calling. If you are waiting on a rebate(atleast the one I got) you need the unlimited calling until the rebate is completed.

There is no monthly fee for the micro cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Windmeel View Post
    Maybe check for things around the house that could be affecting it? I had this Black & Decker thing plugged in that supposed to somehow keep spiders out and I noticed that it was giving me some interference.
    No, Just my wireless router and wireless home phone.
    Last edited by center_99_99; 07-12-2010 at 12:22 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

We've only heard about one getting a free one, and one other guy who said he got an offer but already owned one. Call me crazy, but that's just two. How can it be less far spread than that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast