Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T's Free 3G MicroCell Giveaway May Be Far Less Widespread Than Believed

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    No. you do not have to pay extra. You can pay $19.99/month and then you get unlimited through the MicroCell instead of it using your minutes.
    And I pay the $20 for the unlimited. I love it. I basicially have a call 911 only landline now so I break even. I get everyones argument about having to pay extra for something you should already have but the fact is, you're the ignorant one if you get a cell provider and you don't have service where you need it the most. I knew and know for the last 9 years of being an AT&T customer, I have spotty service in my area and one bar at best in my home (which cannot make a phone call and sometimes cannot text out). But the iPhone is worth it to me. Then this device came along and made everything better. Would I like AT&T to make service better where I live? Absolutely!!!! The truth is though, I don't expect this area to be a priority. It's a county with 40,000 people with Sacramento, an hour away which has a half million people in the CITY.

Give me a free two year contract for having to put up with random dropped calls, price gouging and pathetic customer service for the past seven years and I might then feel like a "loyal" customer. Giving away a chunk of plastic that probably costs $30 to manufacture to customers that are out of contract but pay $100+ a month isn't charity. It is just another ploy in the long line of bs this company tries to pull on people. And it still doesn't help some who have used these devices.

Can't wait for the unlock. T-Mobile pre paid here I come!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

I get five bars and 3G almost everywhere I go. So I guess I don't need this but I don't have an iPhone 4 so I don't really know how bad the reception with that is but with my good old iPhone 3G it's like I got a cell tower with me at all times. I love AT&T in my area!

Thanks

AT&T sounds like a total fail! Just like my old provider Rogers (Formerly AT&T Canada)... It's no wonder why Rogers is a fail too. I'm so glad I switched to Telus. I have never had a single problem with them yet.
    Please hit the Thanks Button if I've helped you out or if you agree with my post.

Default $49 Offer
    I did not get a offer for a free one, but I did receive a offer for one for $49.

/me furiously pounds 'Mark the Spot' on his iPhones...

Just got my letter for a free 3G micro cell. Going to get it tomorrow. Guess 10 years with AT&T pays off. 

Quote Originally Posted by 8r00k1yn8411!n View Post
    instead of the free bumper case, everyone will get a free roll of duct tape to fix the problem
    The one thing you'll never hear a redneck say " I don't think duct tape is gonna fix that"

=•p

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why not just use wifi at home? This seems kind of useless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lsufan51 View Post
    Why not just use wifi at home? This seems kind of useless to me.

It is not just for internet. I have 1-0 bars at my house without the micro cell. At least with the micro cell I know when someone calls and I can call them back with the home phone, instead of finding out hours later when my phone stops "searching" and finally gets service.

I got a letter yesterday offering a free one. The sales rep at AT&T store said that a lot of people in the area got that letter (and they had sold out of them). I actually have great signal where I live with 3 cell towers within a mile radius (not sure how far the AT&T one is). Only things I can think of are:

-Complaints about service
    -Mark the Spot (got that text saying my signal was going to improve)
    -Spoke to a retention rep and got offered a better plan and free minutes

I received one. I haven't upgraded to the iPhone 4 or complained to at&t about any reception issues. Guess im just one of those lucky few

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by center_99_99 View Post
    It is not just for internet. I have 1-0 bars at my house without the micro cell. At least with the micro cell I know when someone calls and I can call them back with the home phone, instead of finding out hours later when my phone stops "searching" and finally gets service.
    I retract my previous statement. That does sound useful. Luckily I get good service at home.

I just got my letter! I could have used it 5 years ago when I lived in an area where the only way I could get signal is if I stood on the master bedroom toilet and stuck my head out the window. I guess I'll just pick one up and hold onto it just in case I need it if I move.

Default Nothing beats chattin with AT&T CSR on a road trip
    I started my “relationship” with AT&T in July of 2008 with my iPhone 3G, my family has a cottage in Northern Michigan AT&T’s coverage map shows the area is covered with Edge service but it’s really Edge of nowhere. So I had followed the MicroCell story since I first learned about it on MMI (kudos to MMI – great resource!). So after paying my $100 monthly fee’s to AT&T I finally decided they needed to start appreciating me for the loyal customer I was. The MicroCell wasn’t rolled out to Northern Michigan yet but lets face it that was B.S. red tape and with a little pushing sure enough they mailed me a MicroCell (after I paid $150). The straw that broke the camels back was when I heard how generous AT&T was to customers who contracts were going to be up this year they were waving the early termination fee that’s when I got pissed and spent some quality time with the CSR at AT&T. Rule one don’t shoot the messenger I was always very courteous to AT&T henchmen but never excepted no. One thing ask for the stars and negotiate from there first call in the rep finally asked me “so how much can we take off a future bill to keep you as an AT&T customer” (they won’t reduce the price of the iPhone 4 but they will credit your account). I wasn’t expecting that question so soon and was caught flat footed and threw out $50 the AT&T rep said “well if $50 will keep you with us then I can take care of that right now” – I was sooo stupid that was way too easy! Anyway this post is getting way to long but I received a $230 credit on my account for my white iPhone (sucks waiting and seeing people with their black ones but it couldn’t be pawned yet so what’s the rush right?). Have been so happy with the MicroCell up at the cottage that I called AT&T and complained about the poor quality of 3G serive in my condo that they gave me an additional $150 credit (had to pay the taxes for it – pick and choose your battles). My latest is my sister and brother-inlaw got a coupon in the mail today for a free MicroCell so called AT&T and went through the dog and pony show again but sure enough they folded, although the last level of supervisor I told “I didn’t care if they had to dig up Alexander Graham Bell I don’t think it should cost me to build their network one MicroCell at a time!

iPhone? More like MyPhone posrjak's Avatar
    Thanks

I got the letter in the mail today and went to the store and got the last micro cell. The rep told me AT&T messed up and it was only suppose to go out to 2 markets at a test but the send them out to 15 markets. Been a long time AT&T customer and have used Mark the spot constintly letting AT&T know that I had no or little service at the house. Can't wait to hook up and tear. Hope I am kne of the lucky ones who it works well for.

Quote Originally Posted by posrjak View Post
    I got the letter in the mail today and went to the store and got the last micro cell. The rep told me AT&T messed up and it was only suppose to go out to 2 markets at a test but the send them out to 15 markets. Been a long time AT&T customer and have used Mark the spot constintly letting AT&T know that I had no or little service at the house. Can't wait to hook up and tear. Hope I am kne of the lucky ones who it works well for.

You know i find the micro cell funny yet needed for many. Your connection will entirely depend on your internet, so if you dont have high speed, your screwed!

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    They have expanded their coverage all the way down to Macon Ga in te past few years and pretty far down I-85 towards Columbus too. I've not had any coverage problems in the metro area and was surprised they fixed the huge dead zone between Stockbridge and Macon. There was little to no coverage there and now it's all 3G. I don't know about Peachtree City but they've continuously expanded 3G further and further out of the metro Atlanta area over the past few years.
    Did you leave the immediate areas surrounding the Interstate/freeways? Newnan, GA still only gets coverage when you're near i85. Everywhere else there is Edge or worse. Covering travelers is not the same as covering cities. Once they'd set up towers along i85, they never set up any more because that stretch was covered and they hadn't started actually covering the city. i85 in Newnan already had coverage when I got my first 3G phone and remains the only 3G coverage in Newnan, which is part of metro Atlanta. They should be ashamed. 3G bandwidth is pretty limited while in motion anyway, so seeing them expand coverage on freeways instead of focusing on population centers is even more frustrating.

To top it off, my brother's 3G microcell ("Femtocell") drops the calls about 2/3rds of the time when he drives away and it hands off to Edge. This is not OK. This is creating a new problem where there was already a fix needed.
    Last edited by CZroe; 07-14-2010 at 10:43 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone posrjak's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes it is the necessary evil. Still not sure on call quality yet but I have full bars in my house :-) Aleast I should have less failed txt messages.
    Last edited by posrjak; 07-14-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Missed a work

I received an offer for a free 3G Microcell last week, still tring to get one. I've been calling 5 AT&T stores in the area everyday, all say none in stock (they are a hot item) and to call back tomorrow say they get shipments in everyday.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123