+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What Does Class Action Suit Against Apple, AT&T Mean for iPhone Owners?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you've never been involved in a lawsuit, that's about to change - sort of, at least for those who have ever purchased an iPhone through AT&T, the Apple smartphone
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default What Does Class Action Suit Against Apple, AT&T Mean for iPhone Owners?

If you've never been involved in a lawsuit, that's about to change - sort of, at least for those who have ever purchased an iPhone through AT&T, the Apple smartphone exclusive carrier in the United States. A lawsuit filed in 2007 (drum-roll please) has now been granted "class action status." In other words, this legal battle now involves anyone who has ever purchased an iPhone in the US since the device's 2007 release.

The nature of the lawsuit is rooted in AT&T's exclusive agreement to carry the iPhone. The litigation contends that both companies (AT&T and Apple) formed a secret "monopoly" depriving millions of fair and competitive practices in the marketplace through lengthy contracts and refusals to unlock phones. Due to that apparently compelling argument, Judge James Ware of the U.S. District Court in Norther California is certifying the suit's class-action status. Yes, we're all in this boat together.

"The court has allowed (multiple) plaintiffs to represent 20 million customers who have been forced to use AT&T for iPhone voice and data service despite an agreement that allows them to terminate at any time and presumably switch carriers" Wired quotes Mark Rifkin, attorney for the plaintiffs.
    I guess we can just call him "our attorney" from now on.

So if the suit is successful does this mean we all get a boatload of cash or at least a free bumper to mitigate the death grip on our new iPhone 4? Not so fast. Proving that Apple and AT&T formed a monopoly by attaching exclusive components to a product's release could be a monumentally difficult thing to do, say some legal experts, given the increasing nature of exclusive partnerships and offerings in the mobile space. Plenty of analysts also believe that this suit could drag on for so long that the iPhone will be available on other carriers before an outcome has even been reached.

For now, neither Apple or AT&T is publicly commenting on the new class-action status of the lawsuit.

Wired

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

butfuq (07-12-2010), dooge (07-11-2010), jmwerkus (07-11-2010), LuckyLuke71 (07-11-2010), reaves205 (07-11-2010), Tenspeed123 (07-11-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I hated having my iPhone on the AT&T network.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Stupid... anything for money... Got my product and thankfully I had a choice...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    JUST ANOTHER MONEY GRAB... release the god damn unlock and JB for all IOS4's ..... jesus ****.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leo_3GS For This Useful Post:

pkdarien (07-12-2010), shirwan72 (07-11-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Stupid... anything for money... Got my product and thankfully I had a choice...
    Amazing isn't it? Can we sue T-Mobile cause I can't get a Eric Clapton My Touch on Boost mobile too?

Its not like no one knew, it was going to be a AT&T exclusive and they sprang that on you in the last second. And yeah, it caused a monopoly after the fact. What if the product had failed? No lawsuit then.

Everyone just wants a piece of the pie, even when they don't deserve a slice.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PhoneLine For This Useful Post:

Atomi (07-12-2010), femibrim (07-11-2010), flxj21 (07-11-2010), k.nitsua (07-12-2010), sh33436 (07-11-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brandoncarr View Post
    I hated having my iPhone on the AT&T network.
    Ditto... I don't like any of the carriers though especially the coma ones. perhaps I am just use to the european contracts. I do like T-Mobile which is why I use them in my iphone...

ATT just needs to get up to speed with the technology. they capitalized from a good product. Unfortunately they are crippling it because they are in a since writing checks that their service cant offer.... Perhaps in the future.

Hell I think APPLE should file a suit against ATT. They have caused more havoc than needed. No MMS, to dropped calls, to the latest.... No good facetime...

But regardless of any carrier or law suit... Once this JB comes out... mannnn this thing will be what APPLE intended it to be used for...Built for speed baby...lol

Facetime over all platforms including home phone... sweet... Expecially for us that travel a lot.
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 07-11-2010 at 10:52 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

One thing I hope that comes out from this suit is that Apple will finally allow customer to get their iphone unlock in the states. I just dont understand why they dont allow this, if you buy the phone at retail price and didnt sign a contract you should be able to request for it to be unlock. Even canada sell the iphone unlock...

What's Jailbreak? 8r00k1yn8411!n's Avatar
    Thanks

So does this mean a Verizon iPhone or maybe a real T-Mobile iPhone?

Thanks

No this does not mean a Verizon iPhone; or a T-Mobile iPhone.

It means some people are going to make some money; and that's it.

The ONLY reason why this is happening is because little whinny bitchy people; like the majority that are on this forum; want the iPhone on Verizon, so they took At&t and Apple to court to try and get it fixed.

Well guess what; it's still not going to happen.

So; like I say every time I have to post; quit your ******** if you don't like At&t. Go somewhere else; give us your bandwidth and try going to Verizon where you get dial up speed 3G; or T-Mobile; where you don't get any 3G at all.

13. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Squeaky369 For This Useful Post:

arniecabral (07-11-2010), avo24 (07-11-2010), BennyPR (07-12-2010), cricketlang (07-11-2010), daxter146 (07-11-2010), decke (07-12-2010), durdan1 (07-11-2010), emtee25 (07-12-2010), evolutionarymc (07-12-2010), femibrim (07-11-2010), flxj21 (07-11-2010), Greg Laferney (07-11-2010), iZoom (07-11-2010), j.eck.art.3d (07-11-2010), jasvncnt10 (07-12-2010), LSZ33 (07-11-2010), Luppin (07-12-2010), monadzback (07-12-2010), pwntbywombat (07-11-2010), rolo918 (07-11-2010), Silverd77 (07-11-2010), Teoyaomqui (07-11-2010), toolwerx (07-12-2010), trek-life (07-11-2010), TSMWIN85 (07-11-2010), Who_Dat (07-12-2010)

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Should be interesting to see how this unfolds.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

In My Town ATT has the best Coverage Just Like Verizon... T-Mobile really sucks here ur always stuck on Edge and roaming.

So I don't mind ATT

As far as verizon iPhone I doubt it. Steve Jobs did go to them first then simply wanted to much control over it so he went to ATT. Plus Verizon is really trying to sell their Droid Line.

Thanks

^^^^^^+1 @squeaky369

iPhone? More like MyPhone Patato22's Avatar
    Thanks

Using Simple Mobile i have full signal all the time fast internet data all for 60 dollars jajaja im living the life on my iphone 3GS

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I for one kinda like this. All I would want out of itwould be the ability to legitimately unlock the phone. I never realized just how much I wanted an unlock until I was in Afghanistan, and AT&T sent me a text saying data cost 19.95 per megabyte or so. At the time, there was no unlock for the 05.12.01 baseband, so I went to a French store there and bought a factory unlocked 3gs. It cost me about a thousand bucks, plus about 500 bucks worth of prepaid cards on the local carrier just to have phone & GPRS service. BUT, at 19.95/MB & 4.95/min for voice, that fifteen hundred spent was equivalent to 30 thousand plus if I had used the same amount of data & voice with my AT&T sim. So the ability to legitimately unlock the phone once the original contract is up would be very welcome. I could care less about any money they may be trying to get out of it.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

Adilcoolrocks (07-12-2010), cpkirkley (07-11-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm happy with AT&T. I'd be happy with a positive settlement, too, but I don't want AT&T to spend money they should be using to fix the network to pay for this law suit.

MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

It is stupid how much power AT&T have over iPhone customers. Here in the UK you can buy an iPhone on Pay as you Go and use any sim card in it. You can also choose to take out a contract with a free iPhone with practically any provider (Orange, O2, T-Mobile, Tesco, Vodafone..). An added bonus is that competition between the networks drives prices even lower

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Owen Priestley For This Useful Post:

ADF (07-11-2010), Alperovich (07-11-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by romeo0119 View Post
    One thing I hope that comes out from this suit is that Apple will finally allow customer to get their iphone unlock in the states. I just dont understand why they dont allow this, if you buy the phone at retail price and didnt sign a contract you should be able to request for it to be unlock. Even canada sell the iphone unlock...
    +1.... I don't care about any monetary desicions, just let me buy the iPhone Unlock and I'll be happy. After that J/B = THE PERFECT PHONE.

iPhone? More like MyPhone therandy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leo_3GS View Post
    JUST ANOTHER MONEY GRAB... release the god damn unlock and JB for all IOS4's ..... jesus ****.
    For someone with "2 posts" you really don't have the right to be demanding ****!
    Yeah I only have a few myself, but I've been apart of this community since the original iPhone. Never have I demanded a jailbreak...it will come out when it's ready to be released...now go back to reading multiple blogs about random dumb *** people having the release and beg them for it like the rest of the noobs! GOOD LUCK! Oh and one more thing...assholes like you keep hijacking EVERY thread on the net about this damn jailbreak, shutup and go start a blog for you and your impaitient cohorts. People like you deserve someone to handover a faux JB and it bricks your ****.

And on topic: yes people will sue for anything now, we as Americans are lazy money hungry bastards with a ridiculous sense of "entitlement". If I have pissed you off...good

We all need to get over ourselves!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to therandy For This Useful Post:

buttrr76 (07-11-2010), risingkazuya05 (07-11-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

So is there gonna be a lawsuit against Verizon for it's Droid, or Sprint for it's EVO? I mean seriously this is a little ridiculous. I can't wait until the iPhone is available on other carriers so everyone will see that it's not AT&T's network it's the fact that there are to many damn people who use it on the network. Has anyone in here tried to use a wifi singnal with 70 people on the same signal? Think of a cell phone network like that, the iPhone comprises of about 60-70% of AT&T's network and the same will happen to any other network. Just wait and see. So when the next carrier gets the iPhone we'll get to see that network crash and burn as well. Also just remember at the end of the day it's just a phone people. I think we've finally lost touch with reality lol!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

We are likely to all be dead and forgotten by the time this lawsuit is over. Apple has $20+B and is likely to use it all to retain their ungodly control.

On the plus side, thank God a few non-Apple fan-boys are taking a stab at their highly restrictive (and possibly illegal) monopolistic practices.

We could be lucky and see a few minor changes. But just like Microsoft, Apple won't give up much without a fight

+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast