+ Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 138 of 138

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: What Does Class Action Suit Against Apple, AT&T Mean for iPhone Owners?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by ramicio That is such a touchy subject. I personally believe if you possess something, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want to it.
...
  1. #121
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    That is such a touchy subject. I personally believe if you possess something, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want to it.
    So if you own a gun, can you fire at will?????

    There has to be moral obligations and responsibility with whatever we possess. That's why our society behaves the way it is now. Lack of knowledge, lack of education, lack of motivation and lack of COMMON SENSE......simply because we get what we want, whenever we want. If we don't get what we want, we file a law suit!!!

  2. #122
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Yes you can. Not at people are around people, but the government doesn't tell you you can't fire your gun at all...Your logic is flawed. Guns kill people. Jailbreaking iphones is a matter of capital. It doesn't hurt anyone physically. If you buy a computer you are allowed to modify it however you want!

    The fact is that apple has NO RIGHT to not unlock phones after they are out of contract! It is a monopoly because if I want to sell my phone when it's out of contract to someone on another provider, it is locked. They are ensuring that anyone who wants an iphone affordably will just go to AT&T. They should especially unlock phones they decided to not manufacture or support anymore.

  3. #123
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I ended up buying the Micro Cell because everyone with AT&T at my house had terrible coverage anyway.... for $150.00.... i've spent worse on dumber things... so I said why the hell not. It's a one time fee from AT&T store for $150.00+tax and activated at no charge and helps. I had T-Mobile for the last year and switched back because my 3GS was god awful slow on the Edge network when it came down to internet and data usage and was worth the extra $40.00 a month to get back to 3G......

  4. #124
    My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Heartland of America
    Posts
    953
    Thanks
    464
    Thanked 68 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by wipeoutxxl View Post
    I ended up buying the Micro Cell because everyone with AT&T at my house had terrible coverage anyway.... for $150.00.... i've spent worse on dumber things... so I said why the hell not. It's a one time fee from AT&T store for $150.00+tax and activated at no charge and helps. I had T-Mobile for the last year and switched back because my 3GS was god awful slow on the Edge network when it came down to internet and data usage and was worth the extra $40.00 a month to get back to 3G......
    I thought there was a $5 or $10 monthly charge also!

  5. #125
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    What people dont understand by law att or apple is not required to unlock there phone!!!!!

  6. #126
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    So if you have a carrier that DOES unlock the iphone, and you want it unlocked, but someone at the carrier is in a bad mood or companies change their mind, that isn't illegal? I don't get why apple is immune to "not having to unlock the phone?"

  7. #127
    My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    787
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    People, people, people.

    There is a simple fix to all this. Get another phone on another network. Seems simple enough to me. You don't HAVE TO have an "iPhone." It's a luxury purchase. The incredible is a really good phone. Try that. I hear the EVO is good. Try that.

    If you "choose" to purchase an iPhone, accept the terms, or just don't buy one.

    There you have it, lawsuit settled, world returned to normal.
    How does this fix the fact that you can't get a phone that you own unlocked after you fulfilled your contract? You can do this with every other phone on AT&T.

    Quote Originally Posted by nightsoarer View Post
    "Whiny b!tchs" didn't make this country great, they made this country hated by all the rest of the world. "Brave People" on the other hand stood up for things that mattered, things such as suffrage, liberty, and justice. I hardly find it justified to complain about a product that happens to only be sold under one service carrier. Like many others have said, does that mean Sprint's EVO should be turned over to other networks, or Verizon's Droid lineup go to any other network, which by the way both are not designed to work with ATT's network (CDMA vs SIM). This whole law suit is a bunch of BS. Just because a product is so hugely successful after another carrier passed it up doesn't mean everyone's entitled to a handout. Yeah sure, it'd be nice if it were on other networks, HOWEVER, no one is entitled to it. You have a choice as to whether to get it or not. Choose. This is exactly like the lawsuit towards McDonald's making people fat. You don't like the results of a fat/calorie induced burger, go somewhere else like Subway! People complain way too much. Everyone's entitled to everything nowadays. So sad.



    Just because all of the other 4 carriers have Android phones doesn't justify the EVO only being available on one network if we're comparing this to the whole iPhone exclusivity situation. The EVO is a far superior phone to that of the rest of the Android family, it has 4g compatibility, it has an 8 megapixel camera on the back with a high quality front facing camera, and a larger screen. So where's my EVO on Verizon or TMobile? I want the highest resolution pictures possible and video chat capability on the Verizon network, so I'll sue Sprint for the EVO! That's the kind of 'reasoning' being used here. It doesn't add up. There is another alternative, get the service you want by buying a different phone on a different network and get an iPod Touch if you really hate ATT that much.
    Do you work for AT&T or Apple? Again for the last time this does not come close to comparing to the EVO or Droid. The EVO is 4G and Sprint is the only US carrier to offer 4G right now plus Srintís 4G uses a different technology than what Verizons 4G service will so how can you say where is my Verizon EVO? Also the EVO is an HTC phone and so is the Droid and both have the same processor so you do have a choice. I love the Android phone and I can choose which carrier I want to use it on. T-Mobile will unlock it for you so you can use it on AT&T and AT&T will unlock their Android phone but not the iPhone. This thread is about AT&T keeping it's customers from getting their iPhone unlocked.
    Last edited by GrandMstrBud; 07-12-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #128
    Mes
    Mes is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,025
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 788 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    What people dont understand by law att or apple is not required to unlock there phone!!!!!
    The US Constitution and the Bill of Rights were created to protect us, the people --- not Apple and AT&T. We the people decide!! We MUST exercise our right to determine what IS or IS NOT allowed in our country whether it requires a new law, or a modification to an existing one.

    Sometimes our politicians get it right, and sometimes not. Fortunately, we have a court system to decide.

    Never forget ---- Change starts with a single voice.
    We the people decide! This my friends, is the purest example of true democracy.
    Last edited by Mes; 07-12-2010 at 06:12 PM.

  9. #129
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    YOU are an IDIOT. i am not even going to begin to argue because its not even worth it. that was the dumbest thing i have ever read

  10. #130
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    So long as all we are asking is that at the end of our contract - either through the payoff or finishing our commitment we get the freaking phone legally unlocked to use on another carrier. That seems to be simple enough. Of course, w/o cash on the line you can't get anything done anyway. So give me my 20 cent rebate on new products I don't want. Just make sure there is a legal unlock. My mom can't keep jail breaking straight!

    Zig.
    Ziger.


  11. #131
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    How does this fix the fact that you can't get a phone that you own unlocked after you fulfilled your contract? You can do this with every other phone on AT&T.



    Do you work for AT&T or Apple? Again for the last time this does not come close to comparing to the EVO or Droid. The EVO is 4G and Sprint is the only US carrier to offer 4G right now plus Srint’s 4G uses a different technology than what Verizons 4G service will so how can you say where is my Verizon EVO? Also the EVO is an HTC phone and so is the Droid and both have the same processor so you do have a choice. I love the Android phone and I can choose which carrier I want to use it on. T-Mobile will unlock it for you so you can use it on AT&T and AT&T will unlock their Android phone but not the iPhone. This thread is about AT&T keeping it's customers from getting their iPhone unlocked.
    Actually yes, I do work for a subsidy of AT&T, and the overall concept is the same. Where do you work? Every carrier has exclusives and just because a certain exclusive phone is highly successful and highly sought after does not mean everyone is entitled to reaping the profits of it. And you've got to be kidding me when you say this does not even come close to the EVO or Droid, I'm talking about in regards to exclusivity, because it completely does. Obviously the phones are different but the fact that certain phones are only available under certain carriers is typical, it's business. It's ridiculous to sue Apple for deciding to provide a product exclusively through one carrier when everyone else is doing the exact same thing.. Just because the Droid OS is available under different carriers doesn't justify people complaining about iOS only being available under AT&T when certain phones like the EVO are carried only under Sprint. The OS is the same, yes, but the phone itself is different and boasts different features, making it a carrier exclusive, hence the advertising of The HTC EVO EXCLUSIVELY from Sprint. Again, every carrier has exclusives. And how can you say where's my Verizon iPhone when AT&T uses completely different technology than what Verizon's CDMA service provides? Sure Sprint's EVO isn't made to work with Verizon's network or AT&T's network for that matter, one reason being it's a 4g phone, but neither is AT&T's iPhone made to work with Verizon's network. That's my point. How can you demand a Verizon iPhone? It's hypocritical. You say "I love the android phone and I can choose which carrier I want it on." That's not true, you can choose to buy a phone with the Android OS but that doesn't mean your getting the same phone by a long shot.

    That's all I am saying. I know this thread was originally about unlocking phones after the contract is up, which makes sense and I'm all for. But if you've actually been reading the comments, many of them are demanding that the iPhone exclusivity be up and the phone switch to Verizon... the usual fuss.
    Last edited by nightsoarer; 07-12-2010 at 11:50 PM.

  12. #132
    iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts

    ^ are u sure that's all your saying....lol.

  13. #133
    Mes
    Mes is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,025
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 788 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nightsoarer View Post
    ..
    Exclusives are normal business dealings. Most don't have an issue with this.

    What is completely unfair (and hopefully illegal -- and if not illegal could easily become so) is to continue to restrict, continue to lock LONG AFTER the contract or exclusivity has expired. In Apple/AT&T's case --- that time is FOREVER! That is just wrong! Plain and simple. To make it worse --- forever applies only to Americans. Apple is an American company giving the shaft to Americans.

  14. #134
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    Yes you can. Not at people are around people, but the government doesn't tell you you can't fire your gun at all...Your logic is flawed. Guns kill people. Jailbreaking iphones is a matter of capital. It doesn't hurt anyone physically. If you buy a computer you are allowed to modify it however you want!

    The fact is that apple has NO RIGHT to not unlock phones after they are out of contract! It is a monopoly because if I want to sell my phone when it's out of contract to someone on another provider, it is locked. They are ensuring that anyone who wants an iphone affordably will just go to AT&T. They should especially unlock phones they decided to not manufacture or support anymore.
    wow...you mean you take the GUN analogy literally...that's what I mean by a flaw in our society, lack of understanding and comprehension!!!!

    If you want to unlock, don't depend on the company. You said the idevice is yours and you own it. So in that case, do the JB and unlocking yourself.

    Here's another analogy: Let's say you own a car (Civic) and you want to change the stereo. Do YOU demand Honda to change it?

  15. #135
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Exclusives are normal business dealings. Most don't have an issue with this.

    What is completely unfair (and hopefully illegal -- and if not illegal could easily become so) is to continue to restrict, continue to lock LONG AFTER the contract or exclusivity has expired. In Apple/AT&T's case --- that time is FOREVER! That is just wrong! Plain and simple. To make it worse --- forever applies only to Americans. Apple is an American company giving the shaft to Americans.
    I completely agree with you. AT&T should be unlocking the phone if requested to once the contract is up, I'm all for that. I was just addressing the many people that keep complaining about how the iPhone should come to Verizon and such. Some people think this whole lawsuit concerns the iPhone coming to Verizon when it really doesn't. But apparently a lot of people have a problem with carrier exclusives if you read half the comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    ^ are u sure that's all your saying....lol.
    Lol yeah I know, my novel lengthed comment was really meant to be more concise. O well.
    Last edited by nightsoarer; 07-13-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  16. #136
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    What really pi$$e$ me off, I had my first Iphone gen 1 sitting in my desk as I had upgraded to a 3G when my contract had expired so here's another new 2 year contract. My girlfriend sees it and asks if I could add it to my plan and then she could use it, I said sure. After committing to GF the ATT store say's I'll need to sign a NEW 2 year contract for the old phone that I had already had fulfilled a 2 year contract on? WTF. I thought the contract was done to defer the cost of the subsidized price of the phone. They really should get ATT to stop this practice, class action or not that seems unfair and maybe illegal.

  17. #137
    iPhone? More like MyPhone djjessejames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tha Hills & Valley of the Sticky Icky Icky...ooo wee.
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I lived in L.A. and didnt mind AT&T... lol.
    Glad to be moved back to Canada. Even with the higher plan prices

  18. #138
    iPhone? More like MyPhone HeavyD4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NEW YORK CITY
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts

    I second that,all the haters bash AT&T but they want there product,I like it exclusive cuz if other comp. get it everyone is gonna get it,I hate having what everyone else has,let them stick with that crappy Droid sh*t!

+ Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts