+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Tagged with Google, Microsoft, Others in NTP Lawsuit

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple, it seems, is involved in yet another lawsuit. Along with Google, HTC, LG Electronics, Motorola and Microsoft, Apple is facing a lawsuit from the very litigious patent people at
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Tagged with Google, Microsoft, Others in NTP Lawsuit

Apple, it seems, is involved in yet another lawsuit. Along with Google, HTC, LG Electronics, Motorola and Microsoft, Apple is facing a lawsuit from the very litigious patent people at NTP Corp. As it turns out, NTP is targeting the world's leading mobile phone makers regarding - you guessed it - patents. NTP alleges that all six companies are willfully and wrongfully infringing on their patent for delivering e-mail messages to mobile devices.

Having previously targeted Research In Motion, this is NTP's biggest legal endeavor thus far, claiming that eight patents in all are involved in the latest suit. It isn't yet clear, however, if the intellectual property holding company will prove as successful in this endeavor as it was against RIM, when NTP won better than $600 million in damages.

"Use of NTP's intellectual property without a license is just plain unfair to NTP and its licensees," company co-founder Donald E. Stout told the Wall Street Journal in a prepared statement. "We took the necessary action to protect our intellectual property." NTP, a privately owned company, holds a boatload of patents, but it doesn't actually produce any physical products.

If you've noticed these types of lawsuits are becoming commonplace, you're correct in your observation. As the Journal noted:

Legal tactics increasingly have become common among technology players looking to defend their turf, intimidate competitors or extract an additional revenue stream through a forced licensing agreement.
    This latest move on the part of NTP follows other still-pending patent-infringement suits against wireless providers such as AT&T Inc., T-Mobile USA, Sprint Nextel Corp., Verizon Communications Inc., and Vodafone Group. According to the WSJ, the litigation "has been stayed pending a full review of the patents by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (07-09-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    First
    Nope. You are the second post in this thread.

Lawsuits that are legit are cool. Like this one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    First
    Failure.

Does this company just lawsuits companies just to get money? Sounds like NTP is a greedy company.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Capitalism is greedy

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

al gore is suing all internet providers for stealing his internet , heard it here first.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aimetti For This Useful Post:

daesoph (07-10-2010)

Thanks

600 million shouldn't b a lot if the companies that r being sued if they split it up

Thanks

Npt didn't win 600 million. They settled for that ammount with rim after the DOJ suggested they do so.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

If I remember correctly some of the patents in the suit against RIM were invalidated. If NTP tries to do the same against every single major cellular handset and service provider they are quite likely going to see all or most of their patents invalidated, thus negating their existing licensing deals. Too bad for RIM though: even if all the patents in question are invalidated, they settled and thus their payout cannot be reversed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

greedy company

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

this is so stupid... no one can make a smart phone now a days because every feature is "patented" so if you make one, your gonna get sued cuz your phone "makes phone calls" or cuz "it send text messags" they shouldn't allow to patent this kinda things... its like a car company sue agains another car company cuz "the wheels are round"...
    smart in another way... don;t make any products, just patent evcerything that everyone else makes and just sue them later

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thats what you call capitalism folks greed and money

Thanks

FOURTEEN - more fail

greedy - i dont see this holding up too much as there taking on the worlds super giant cell phone makers when they themselves dont practice their own patents.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

dam finally someone will win against apple lol i wish apple loses...
    No signature links or spam... only warning

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    greedy company
    Why are they greedy when it is their patent that has allegedly been infringed upon? You better believe if it was your intellectual property you'd be doing something about it too.
    Last edited by skj8100; 07-09-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    Why are they greedy when it is their patent that has allegedly been infringed upon? You better believe if it was your intellectual property you'd be doing something about it too.
    I think the idea here is they don't even implement the thing. This company seems to be one of those "let's patent everything and hope someone eventually infringes on our patents". Not unlike Apple who has been patenting everything in hopes that if others want to do something similar they simply cannot.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

leathelisor (07-10-2010)

Thanks

I have mixed feelings on this:

On one hand, I feel like patents should be invalidated if you have no plans of, or never actually produce what you patented. I could go out and patent tons of things just hoping that someone eventually makes something that I own "intellectual property rights" to and then sue them, but that seems like an abuse of our legal system.

On the other hand, capitalism comes down to who came up with it first and legally made it theirs. If they own the copyright then technically they own it, period. Even if it is a pretty obvious abuse of the legal system.

All in all it seems like a pretty underhanded tactic to make money just by suing people for broad and bs patents that you own. Either way this is ruled could lead to a pretty slippery slope in litigation.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple does the same crap. They have patents they don't even produce from. You thing they will just let people make money off them for free.

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

Reminds me of the people who patent part of the Human Genome... Then if anyone ever cites it they can either sue them or have them pay them money. RIDICULOUS!!!! We all have the Genome so screw them.
    A large amount of people have cellphones that deliver mail. These people need to have their patents invalidated!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I think the idea here is they don't even implement the thing. This company seems to be one of those "let's patent everything and hope someone eventually infringes on our patents". Not unlike Apple who has been patenting everything in hopes that if others want to do something similar they simply cannot.
    You hit the nail right on its head here. If someone infringed on lets say, a patent Mercedes held for one of their engines I would sympathize with them BECAUSE the actually use their patens. NTP is just looking for money. But seeing as they both have an army of ivy league educate assholes I really can't tell how thisll end up

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

LoL piece of **** company. I hope they dont patent the air and sue everyone in the world.