Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Be Waiting For iPhone 4 Jailbreak to Release iOS 4 Software Update

I just hope this update rolls out sooner than later

Thanks

Hahaha I think this article was created based on a comment!
    Even if Dev Team drops a jailbreak, Apple would then have to patch it and that would take longer! And this "A few weeks" business...your just paranoid! They are trying to gain control of a much bigger issue and make sure that it will be resolved. Plus there really hasn't been much speak of any jailbreak. Unless I've been missing something. Quit creating "news"...got something to say...start a blog.
    Last edited by tremerone; 07-09-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Well since the software is very unlikely to fix this issue ... I'd say it's more likely they are stalling until they come with a real solution.

And for all the "non-believers" of the whole "death grip" "rumor" ... here's my rational and reasoning:

I went to my local at&t store to upgrade my 3 iPhones to the 4 (after reading about all the problems here and other places on-line). I checked the two display models, plus five more (two of which were returns) phones they had in stock (one of the perks of having a friend that works for at&t, and owes you favors) ... and only five of the seven had the issue. There was no way to make the other two drop even a single bar ... in the same exact location ... with the same exact signal as all the others. One of the good ones was new, but had what seemed to be a digitizer problem, and it was very hard to even test it. The other good one, was one that was returned for a bad headphone jack, and non-functioning volume control buttons. The other five all eventually went to "no service" when being held "the wrong way".

In addition to this, I compared the displayed signal strength to my 3gs (still on 3.01), and all the other demos in the store. With the exception of a couple lower-end phones, every phone in the store had five bars (with the others showing 4) ... so using Apple's rational, every single manufacturer would have had to get the formula wrong for this to be the case ... right ?

So using (or perhaps misusing) my powers of observation and reasoning, here are the problems I have with their whole "it's a software issue"; One, if it doesn't happen on all iPhone 4s consistently, even in the same location ... then it it can't be software. And two, if all the other phones in the store are displaying the same signal strength (within reasonable tolerances) , how can the the supposed flawed formula cause this issue ? Plus there's also the whole "don't hold it that way or use a case and it doesn't happen" thing ... and I don't even know what to think about that ... besides the obvious.

Given Apple's attitude about the whole thing, a more likely software "fix" would be to attempt to detect this condition (short / interference / sudden loss of signal), and then not drop the displayed signal strength in those particular instances.

Sorry for the long post. I've mostly avoided chiming in on the subject before now.

As I side note: I did upgrade ONE (but not all three) of my phones, because my wife "just had to have it" (and because her 3g is falling apart). I just bought here a case for it, and it's working fine, and she's happy (at least for now). I like to use my phone "naked" (the phone ... not me ... lol), so I'm waiting to see what happens before I upgrade the other two.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to love2drive2fast For This Useful Post:

numanair (07-09-2010)

This latest rumor is total bull.

People who work for or have worked for Apple retail have already reported that retail gets absolutely zero inside scoop from corporate. The fact that these rumors have originated from a single Apple Store in the UK confirms this assessment. It's just a bunch of Genius Bar idiots propagating their own speculation.

The devs are not stupid. They always wait to release their tools if an Apple update is imminent. They have always done so in the past and that pattern will not change soon. Also, this latest userland vulnerability is most likely the only iPhone 4 exploit they will have for a while. The iPhone 4 bootrom has been extracted, but developing a bootrom exploit could take months. They'll want to make this one count. They will wait.

Apple already has too many mounting problems with all the bad press surrounding iPhone 4 issues. They can't afford to delay the update solely for the purpose of playing some stupid cat and mouse game with the dev-team. The timing is too severe. The update will be released when it's ready.
    Last edited by tealstarr; 07-09-2010 at 04:22 PM.

I can wait a little longer for the jailbreak, I have gone this long without it screw you apple (if this is true, and we know it probably is) go Dev Team

Quote Originally Posted by zYxMa View Post
    I don't think apple cares. Or perhaps apple do care about the jailbreak. Imagine, how many users bought the ip4 because it would be eventually jailbroken.

Jailed iPhone is boring. End of
    amen to that!

They're waiting for the 30 days to be up to see how many returns they get on this ****** reception problem then fix it with the update right after probably

Quote Originally Posted by 8r00k1yn8411!n View Post
    I still don't get how a software update can fix a hardware problem?
    Maybe the software makes the phone send an electro shock to your finger if it touches the antenna area! (so one won't grip the phone like a caveman grips a club)

Apple will wait another 100 years if they manage to shut up angry customers. I don't think they will do this. unless THEY SEPARATE UNLOCKING FROM JAILBREAK.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sergioakakobe View Post
    There is a Guy on Twitter saying he has a leak(beta) of the Jailbreak and will be releasing it at 3pm.PST...

Cant wait to test it...
    ....care to elaborate?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    lol, totally not true. This came up a few days ago, and i said "PASS!" lol Apple has better things to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Patethic, non-story.

Not only are there no sources quoted, but haven't we learned that Apple store or AT+T employees don'y know jack ****?
    It's Messany. Do yall really think he could pass up writing another article? Hell, the nuclear powered iphone article he wrote started off saying he had no clue how the pipedream had become so hotly discussed on the internet and then proceeds to promote said pipedream.

Quote Originally Posted by RonHC View Post
    Thats Madness
    no...that's Apple..

....DON'T SMOKE JUST VAPE!!!!!

Even though a stock iPhone blows, hard, if this is somewhat true (I doubt it) I can wait. I don't want them to release early. The suppose update needs to fix the stupid prox sensor big time. I've had nothing but problems with that. Signal display doesn't matter to me because AT&T points their towers at the ground around here so no software change will help me anyway.

If I'm the dev team, I'll wait it out

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    It's Messany. Do yall really think he could pass up writing another article? Hell, the nuclear powered iphone article he wrote started off saying he had no clue how the pipedream had become so hotly discussed on the internet and then proceeds to promote said pipedream.
    yea I'm noticing a lack of good quality articles from Messany myself.. if they want to post garbage ok thats fine thats what the member written news is for... for Mesany to be able to post such crap on the front page of MMI is just an eye sore i mean nuclear powered iphone and the non-stop verizon iphone post... nobody seems to like the post that are not based on SOLID FACTS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeditout2130 View Post
    ....care to elaborate?
    iMacRat via Twitter

Sounds like BS though because now he is saying Rapidshare/Private Trackers arent lettting him upload...lol BS

I guess I'm lucky, no reception issues for me. In fact, much better than old 3G.

Very lucky, as I just walked into an Orange shop in Paris a few days ago and they had just received a shipment that morning of 12!!! There were 5 left when I got mine at 1200.

Pretty sweet *** phone, not missing jailbreak that badly at the mo. Just SB Settings and Lockinfo, otherwise very good job Apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sergioakakobe View Post
    iMacRat via Twitter

Sounds like BS though because now he is saying Rapidshare/Private Trackers arent lettting him upload...lol BS
    Haha, wow....

I just started following him. Looks like a load of BS. I marked him as spam

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tealstarr View Post
    This latest rumor is total bull.

People who work for or have worked for Apple retail have already reported that retail gets absolutely zero inside scoop from corporate. The fact that these rumors have originated from a single Apple Store in the UK confirms this assessment. It's just a bunch of Genius Bar idiots propagating their own speculation.

The devs are not stupid. They always wait to release their tools if an Apple update is imminent. They have always done so in the past and that pattern will not change soon. Also, this latest userland vulnerability is most likely the only iPhone 4 exploit they will have for a while. The iPhone 4 bootrom has been extracted, but developing a bootrom exploit could take months. They'll want to make this one count. They will wait.

Apple already has too many mounting problems with all the bad press surrounding iPhone 4 issues. They can't afford to delay the update solely for the purpose of playing some stupid cat and mouse game with the dev-team. The timing is too severe. The update will be released when it's ready.
    so you're telling me this software update is not ready? You are very naive if you think that they are still working on it and not just waiting for a JB.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iRoach74's Avatar
    Thanks
    does anyone know if the update is supposed to have any sort of fix for the proximity sensor?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast