+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4's USB Port Reportedly Overheats and Burns User

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Got my Iphone 4 three days ago, love it. But, some of my apps will just close, and one minute I have 3G and full bars, than the next minute
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Got my Iphone 4 three days ago, love it. But, some of my apps will just close, and one minute I have 3G and full bars, than the next minute , I have E, and one bar, and can`t connect to make a call. If Apple don`t come out with a update to take care of these glinches, going to return it,and my wifes phone before the 30 days are up. Anytime you plug an device into a power grid, there are a chance of a short. I say this is real, out of all the iphones sold, there have to be a few with a short problems.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Looks like liquid was involved. (if the pic is real). The metal shows liquid burn or short.

Looks like liquid was involved. (if the pic is real). The metal shows liquid burn or short with water .

Also the screen protector doesn't have a single blemish. FAKE.... Nice try dude. Go to walmart slip on the floor or spill some coffee from fatdonalds on your lap. That might work for ya... Lol
    Sooo Right about that screen protector its perfect around the home button and thats nearly impossible to do that while keeping it all bubble free.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What are you guys talking about. The person was trying out a new APP in the app store

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
    thats fake wat is there to burn / sustain the fire?
    Your joking right???? it OVERHEATED..... and plastic should be your answer...
    iPhone 4 16 GB + iMac 24" 2.9GHz + MBP 13" 2,2GHZ = AAPL 4 EVAAAA!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to djnikk For This Useful Post:

spazturtle (07-10-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Actually this just happened to my wifes Iphone 4 last night, She calls me that the power went out in the house, I arrived home in the morning, and saw that the USB cord was charred on its tip, I reason I dont understand yet, I have called Apple customer care, and they said, they had similiar stories recently, I told them I would send my wifes Iphone 4 back in under warranty, including the charred USB cable,it hasnt happened to my Iphone 4, yet

Thanks

If it was real, one thing is for sure. The USB doesn't supply enough current to cause that, the battery would have to be the source of the necessary current. Also the idea that it could be the result of "liquid" makes no sense.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If the plastic had sustained a flame one would think that the metal band around the bottom of the phone would display more carbon residue/charring...

Thanks

I've never even felt any of my apple products getting warm

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ouch my luck I see a letter from Apple sorry this happened with your iPhone but the cost is out of your pocket would you like us to fix it? Apple Store warnes customers not to Jailbreak iPhones or they would void their warranties. That sure was a heavy load as old USB computer ports like 500ma of power and newer one's like 1200ma (unless was using an external USB port HUB that had required external power and the zener diode failed). I be interested knowing what USB using and what was doing in data tranfer and power when happened. My first guess looking at photo was either a USB car outlet iPhone used a nav and music and had a power surge or a bad USB wall outlet charger and yes I use both.

As having a degree in Electronics and in Software Development I might think about having a USB Optical port Isolator (I made for like $20.00 and had 99.99999% protection) as something I used in past in design at a job when I was creating back up power supplies and wanted to protect the main control interface from surges. Here is a link from some site if wanted to understand what thinking http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

MBCMDR
    Last edited by MBCMDR; 07-10-2010 at 09:22 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MBCMDR For This Useful Post:

butfuq (07-12-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'll tell you what the apple tech in Columbus Ohio told me when I took my phone in for this same problem.... "You shouldn't plug the iphone in when it is wet." So, I asked him to show me the part of the phone taht was "wet". He could not show me and started to back track in his explination. I was handed a new phone at no charge and was asked not to do it again.

Thank You Apple for setting me straight. I knew I couldn't believe my lying eyes.

I had problems with my 3g many times over, my 3gs was awesome, to bad I sold it. This iphone 4 is unreal. First the usb catching fire, and now I have the death grip issue with the new one. I could possible keep going on if apple was even a bit straight with it's customers. My wife refused to upgarde to the iphone 4 and got the HTC Aria. It's a nice phone. I think I will join her since the app I really like has been made for the droid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by echoes49 View Post
    I'll tell you what the apple tech in Columbus Ohio told me when I took my phone in for this same problem.... "You shouldn't plug the iphone in when it is wet." So, I asked him to show me the part of the phone taht was "wet". He could not show me and started to back track in his explination. I was handed a new phone at no charge and was asked not to do it again.

Thank You Apple for setting me straight. I knew I couldn't believe my lying eyes.

I had problems with my 3g many times over, my 3gs was awesome, to bad I sold it. This iphone 4 is unreal. First the usb catching fire, and now I have the death grip issue with the new one. I could possible keep going on if apple was even a bit straight with it's customers. My wife refused to upgarde to the iphone 4 and got the HTC Aria. It's a nice phone. I think I will join her since the app I really like has been made for the droid.
    That sounds like bull to me...there's no way your applestore had an extra brand new iPhone 4 laying around...no way

What's Jailbreak? jason_wehrwein's Avatar
    Thanks

My 3g did this a while back. I had the factory usb wire plugged into an aftermarket usb charger. It got really hot and started to melt the plastic. Luckly I noticed and was able to unplug it before it screwed up my phone.
    My mom says im cool

Thanks

tiny metal shavings from using a self tap metal screw,particles from stripping a phillips bit, mylar confetti flakes, coax shielding particles, stranded wire clippings etc. can easily make their way into either the port or the cable and cause a short.

Thanks

I felt my phone the other day. It was hot to the touch I took out the point and shoot, it said it was 104. That's pretty hot for a phone I'm thinking..

Thanks

Typical new iphone release feature, runs so fast that it catches on fire....... Now we know where the get that BLAZING 3G speed! LMAO!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayson9 View Post
    Typical new iphone release feature, runs so fast that it catches on fire....... Now we know where the get that BLAZING 3G speed! LMAO!!!!!
    Ha

Thanks

my plug get pretty hot but not that hot, i dont believe this. Anything to get in the spotlight

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12