+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is AT&T Capping Your Upload Speed?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I just ran several tests in a row, speedtest.net app to the NY, NY server from Buffalo, NY... DOWN: 1.5Mbit -> 2Mbit UP: 1.0Mbit -> 1.5Mbit Everything looks good here...
    Thanks

I just ran several tests in a row, speedtest.net app to the NY, NY server from Buffalo, NY...

DOWN: 1.5Mbit -> 2Mbit
    UP: 1.0Mbit -> 1.5Mbit

Everything looks good here...

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

I got 1921 up
    96kbps down
    Is that bad?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    I got 1921 up
    96kbps down
    Is that bad?
    You mean the other way around? Yeah that's bad

Green Apple
    Thanks
    northwestern jersey:
    last week i was seeing 1.5mb/s down and up
    this week i see 1.6 down and .09 up.

oh well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iPhone 4 Vodafone Glasgow, UK
    3G
    5.1 mb/s DOWN
    3 mb/s UP

So you can compare with your speeds in the states.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tyson1749 View Post
    Mine were 3500/4000 dwn and 1100/1400 up last week. Now 1400/2000 dwn and 150/220 up through the weekend into today. Definitely something going on. Btw I'm in Portland, OR
    I am in Hillsboro and can never seem to get past 1.4 Mbit down and only 70Kbit up I had this problem last week too. I have good reception at my office. I have the same problem at my house (good reception but slow upload speeds. I wonder if AT&T only rolled out the upgrades for portland and not Hillsboro.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iphone 3GS Los Angeles, CA

811 kbps DOWN
    207 kbps UP

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Throttle This !
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    How is this an AT&T fail? It's not like any carrier has as solid a network as say a cable ISP. They should throttle. Why tax the network for everyone when throttling will provide a more stable experience for the masses?
    ...Because We are Paying For It.

Thanks

You don't pay for a guaranteed network speed. You don't even pay for a network speed at all. You pay $30 a month for 'unlimited' use of ATT's data network. Whatever speed it is, it is.

The fact that it USED to be faster and now its limited in some areas does indeed suck. But you had no entitlement to 1MBIT+ upload speeds whatsoever...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ZOMGVTEK For This Useful Post:

harrison0550 (07-06-2010)

-_-
    in the land of the free and the home of the brave
    Thanks

still, its annoying, to say the least...
    -_-

A face that says it all.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    You don't pay for a guaranteed network speed. You don't even pay for a network speed at all. You pay $30 a month for 'unlimited' use of ATT's data network. Whatever speed it is, it is.

The fact that it USED to be faster and now its limited in some areas does indeed suck. But you had no entitlement to 1MBIT+ upload speeds whatsoever...
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    How is this an AT&T fail? It's not like any carrier has as solid a network as say a cable ISP. They should throttle. Why tax the network for everyone when throttling will provide a more stable experience for the masses?
    Agreed! I have seen this argument for years from multiple costumers of communications companies I have worked for. I dont know if at&t are throttling but I would have no problem if they were, in fact they need to. Its a fact everyone wants the faster speeds but no one wants to fork over the extra cash for higher speeds. In the market I am working at the moment they launched 100Mb d/l because of people crying they need more speed. Now millions of dollars and a complete rebuild of the network and a pitiful 490 subscribers opted to bump to 100Mb service. Does this sound like a solid business plan to you? I say stop your crying be happy you have internet on your phone to began with. Pleasing costumers every little whim will do nothing but drive you out of business. If you think you can do a better job then by all means start a cell business get a contract with apple and then point your finger in disgust at other providers, go ahead we are waiting. Until then deal with it, if you keep crying we will all be paying $400 a month for phone service cause you wanted faster speeds. Be careful what you wish for!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post

Why don't you go back to honda-tech and STFU?

I don't think anybody on here bought a 3G phone in order to have speeds that were not impressive 2+ years ago.

AT&T charges a lot more for their service plans than ANY other carrier, and as a result, their network should be at least marginally better at the minimum, but really it should be significantly better since it's so expensive.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to scgmilan For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (07-06-2010)

Thanks
    Lakewood, Cal
    Down 2.19
    Up 0.98

And it changes often.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

It's amazing to see stuff like this posted. Stirs up a lot of "experts". What a lot of people are missing is. Server location , bandwidth currently being used, ect... These speed tests are/ca be accurate. However try testing your speed when there is breaking news or during peak Internet usage. I'll bet it's slower than non peak times. Of course theory on peak time can also be miss led. A lot of people download movies at night. So take this with what it's worth / intended for.... Another let's hate fuel to spark another grassy knoll or Roswell scam. Damn Gov cover-ups! LMAO.

Oh and BTW. I am no ATT lover but last I checked was I signed up for unlimited data with no guarantee on speed. I wish there was but.... There isn't...
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 07-06-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Wpb, fl
    8.53mb down, 3.27mb up
    But early today it was...
    1.15mb down, 1.19mb but these on my 4 so...
    Then on my 3G it..
    5.48mb down, 3.47mb up
    5.48mb down, 3.47mb

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So let's see. They are already no longer "the network with the fewest dropped calls." Pretty soon they will no longer have "the fastest 3G network" either. At least it's looking that way.

"Switch to the nation's fastest 3G network......except for Mondays, Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays between the hours of 6:00am and 10:00pm and all holidays."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RICO_ For This Useful Post:

Luigi453 (07-08-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

2663 kbs down 1269 up

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scgmilan View Post
    Why don't you go back to honda-tech and STFU?

I don't think anybody on here bought a 3G phone in order to have speeds that were not impressive 2+ years ago.

AT&T charges a lot more for their service plans than ANY other carrier, and as a result, their network should be at least marginally better at the minimum, but really it should be significantly better since it's so expensive.
    WOW such language! You are right they are expensive but that doesn't mean they should be faster by law. If "if's and and's where pot's and pan's we would all be in the hardware biz". I love that saying lol. Anyway what I mean is there is no reason to curse another person over hate and personnal angerbecause we think is should be or because I want it too be just for me. But!!! Since this is a free country you have the best tool you can have and that is your personal choice to stay with AT&T or move one to a provider that will satisfy your every need better that AT&T. Now like I posted prev I don't really care for AT&T but then again I really don't care for any of them. They all seem to have their faults. But I'm not going to curse someone or disrespect them because I didn't get my way.

DK

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hoo boy ... hello from slow, slow NYC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is AT&T Capping Your Upload Speed?-photo.png  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    minneapolis, MN