Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fraud, Hack Attacks Becoming Major Concerns for Apple

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Fraud, Hack Attacks Becoming Major Concerns for Apple

There was a time when Apple's biggest hacker concern pertained to iPhone users modding and jailbreaking their handsets. Today, the powers that be in Cupertino have bigger worries to contend with. In recent days and weeks, Apple has been the target of more than one substantive hack attack. And this issue extends far beyond fraudulent Steve Jobs' emails and fake online correspondence between Apple and its concerned customers.

Over the weekend, reports surfaced that all of the App Store applications created by "mycompany" have been pulled following a discovery that this suspected "rogue developer" was up to no good and attempted, among other endeavors, to hack App Store rankings. Other troubling incidents recount users reporting that their individual iTunes accounts have been falsely authorized to purchase large quantities of songs and other digital content. To be clear, these issues do not involve only one lone developer. As a result, digital security analysts have already begun weighing in what appears to be a much more widespread if not concerted effort to hack iTunes and rip off an incalculable number of customers.

Although few took the consideration seriously just a short while ago, there is more chatter than ever about the future of organized crime. Digital content could very well represent the target of future illegal behavior from groups and organizations that spread out their efforts and work in tandem to achieve what amounts to digital highway robbery. Nonetheless, the swelling security concerns for Apple have bubbled to the forefront of the company's security priorities. With some customers now reporting erroneous purchases of hundreds of dollars worth of digital content, it isn't difficult to imagine the criminal incentive behind such acts and the headaches for Apple and its customers that continue to result from these attacks.
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 07-05-2010 at 12:00 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Anonomys (07-06-2010), CaryDude (07-06-2010), HovikGas (07-05-2010), iSteed (07-06-2010), Jahooba (07-05-2010), louort3 (07-05-2010), reaves205 (07-06-2010), sobeniceguy2 (07-05-2010), XCaLiBuR1085 (07-05-2010)

The fraud emails were quite amusing.
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 07-05-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: frist dawg

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eZStaR For This Useful Post:

SethChas (07-05-2010), SnowLeo (07-05-2010)

Any examples of the "mycompany" apps??

Thanks

Holy ****!

Glad I wasn't using my iPod touch for a while...
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomeSlayer For This Useful Post:

reyg25atx (07-05-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah my sister was a victem in iTunes frauding, when she found out, she called the bank and within two weeks they gave back her money.
    They stole about $200 started out with a couple of bucks and then dang $200 all from iTunes

edit: she has neither an apple product nor an account in iTunes

Thanks

They act like this is a new issue for iTunes accounts. This has been happening for a long time. I quess it's not a secret anymore.

Check the top 50 in books category and notice those book in vietnamies language created by "idaretouch" quite a good example lmao

Lucky me I use a free apple acoount and ONLY jailbroken devices with ********* installed ;-P
    Last edited by moudy; 07-05-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This is why you should always check your iTunes purchase history daily.

i was hit for $350.00 before I saw the emails saying I had been buying apps which were some type of like calling card or something, Seller: C2Call GmbH was what was purchased.

"large qualities of songs"

quantities

14. The Following User Says Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

Chunk1234 (07-05-2010)

But but it's Flash's fault....but but it's the jailbreakers fault..but but..it's Gizmodo's fault, but but you're holding it wrong....

Apple is running out of excuses and scapegoats.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billmilo For This Useful Post:

dsg (07-05-2010), Jahooba (07-05-2010), johnr9412 (07-05-2010), scooby4 (07-05-2010), SnowLeo (07-05-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
    But but it's Flash's fault....but but it's the jailbreakers fault..but but..it's Gizmodo's fault, but but you're holding it wrong....

Apple is running out of excuses and scapegoats.
    LOL. Wut?

It's not Apple's fault some thief steals a bunch of credit card numbers.

You're not even paying attention, this happens all over the internet.
    To live, you have to lie

So mods get to edit the writers post? Didnt know that. The post is by messany but it says last edited by StealthBravo. Guess once your a mod you get to do whatever you want here.
    But yeah its funny how everyone thinks this is a huge deal when its been going on for a while and everyone thinks the fraud is ripping the devs and everyone off when devs are being cheated out of hundreds of millions thanks to the pirates

Not good.

Dang sucks for some people. I havent been hit yet and don't know anyone who has
    Even if I didnt help you please click thanks :X

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    LOL. Wut?

It's not Apple's fault some thief steals a bunch of credit card numbers.

You're not even paying attention, this happens all over the internet.
    It's not their fault that their devices and softwares are some of the easiest to hack? I think you've been drinking too much SteveJobs kool aid.

There was a hackers summit a month ago, and Apple softwares were by far the least secure. But hey, it's not Apple's fault people have the knowledge to break their weak-*** programs.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billmilo For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (07-06-2010), leathelisor (07-05-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
    It's not their fault that their devices and softwares are some of the easiest to hack? I think you've been drinking too much SteveJobs kool aid.

There was a hackers summit a month ago, and Apple softwares were by far the least secure. But hey, it's not Apple's fault people have the knowledge to break their weak-*** programs.
    So true, just look at the iPhone. We have great people like the dev team and geohotz that GIVE us FREE programs to hack apple products. If you wan't to go further and do more stuff all you have to do is google how to "insert a way to mod apple product" and you will find a hundred youtube videos telling you how. Only reason apple computers don't get viruses (as much) is because hackers know that more people have windows. If that were ever to change (not likely imo) apple would be dead. But SteveJobs kool aid is pretty tasty

24. The Following User Says Thank You to leathelisor For This Useful Post:

billmilo (07-05-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

What if you just buy tons of songs you want($200 worth) and call apple saying you never bought them and think you were hacked?

hurp durp, but i thought apple products never got viruses or spam, hurp durrreep

Quote Originally Posted by johnr9412 View Post
    What if you just buy tons of songs you want($200 worth) and call apple saying you never bought them and think you were hacked?
    This happened to me before and I had to file a identity theft thing with my bank who in turn contacts apple ituns to dispute the transactions and then apple investigates it because they can tell what ip the downloads originated from. **** sucks cuz apple won't do **** til your bank contacts them first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast