+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Devs Say Apple Tops Android in Cash Potential For Now

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Devs Say Apple Tops Android in Cash Potential For Now

It's no secret that developers say their preferential platforms are those that help them make the biggest bank. And while a record number of developers are building apps by the boatload for either Apple’s iOS or Google’s Android, Apple comes out on top for generating the most cash for devs. Why? Android has the lowest percentile base of paid-for-apps - but that's just for now, a reality that could soon change as evidenced by the fact that some of the "strongest iPhone publishers have added Android to their portfolio."

Given the well-known reality that developers take their work where there's the most money available for acquiring it, AppStore HQ has come out with some interesting findings. Having scoured through tens of thousands of records of iOS and Android developers, here's how it all shakes out. iOS can boast some 43,185 developers, while Android is left in the dust at 10,199. Approximately 1400 developers build apps for both platforms.

While 78% of polled developers saw Apple’s iOS as having the “best near-term outlook” (vs 16% for Android), a majority of the same group (54%) picked Android as having the “best long-term outlook” (vs 40% for iOS).
    While devs who dabble on both platforms may be in the minority, this group of cross-platform developers has done well for itself. As AppStore HQ noted, these devs have enjoyed some of the most high profiled success of any developers. As a result, it's widely anticipated that cross-platform developing will grow in years to come, although the present expenses attributed to building for both Apple and Android platforms will likely curb the immediate growth of the practice. Until the cost of cross production eases some, Apple stands to remain in the top spot for best earning platform for develops. As AppStore HQ observed, Google has made it “pretty hard for Android developers to get found and to make money."

Image via AppStore HQ

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Look at the app store

Thanks

which mean we'll be buying each and every iphone for the next couple of decades lol.
    You don't have to say it, Just click "Thanks".
    http://twitter.com/Duetschpire

Thanks

Hey i have a quick question that may seem kinda obvious... but

What should i study or read up on to become a developer...what classes or books do I need...or do i have to have some software engineering degree to even attempt to start developing different types of Apps...

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

All you need to do is study some languages. For iPhone it's objective C. And lots of lots of lots of practice and logic. Logic is probably the most important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post

What should i study or read up on to become a developer...what classes or books do I need...or do i have to have some software engineering degree to even attempt to start developing different types of Apps...

Thanks

I wanted to do a course at a tafe hare in Australia, it's a 9 months course but it teaches different platforms developing. But you can take an online course which is cheaper and faster (5 weeks).

Try google there's millions of results, and check the link below.

Did You Know: You Could Study iPhone App Development at Your School - Apple has an iPhone Developer University Program that?s completely free - Softpedia

Note the you have to register with apple development for about $100 as well to get their developers kit.
    You don't have to say it, Just click "Thanks".
    http://twitter.com/Duetschpire

7. The Following User Says Thank You to moudy For This Useful Post:

atalien2005 (07-06-2010)

Thanks

$99 is a good start

Thanks

surprised at how few cross platform developers there are, however, that's bound to change now that At&T has got a high end android phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone HarlemState's Avatar
    Thanks

At the end of the day, iOs will always have the best platform, handsdown, best near and longterm outlook, lolol
    thoes statistics are bullsh*t. sry
    Last edited by HarlemState; 07-05-2010 at 10:51 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Androids biggest problem?
    Unless Android gets a phone that dominates the market... it'll be tough to catch the iPhone. The problem comes from the fragmentation of the Android collective of devices. There is a great variance of screen sizes, processor speeds, ram amounts, etc. that make it VERY difficult for developers to access the entire Android population.

Add to that the fact that companies like Motorola use portions of of Android, while adding "Moto" usability over the top, and it's almost impossible to develop an SDK where a developer knows for sure how their app will work on a given device.

People may ***** about Apple's "walled garden" approach to hardware and software... but at least developers know that their app will work (or not) for 55+ million users.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to greenenvy For This Useful Post:

atalien2005 (07-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So i guess this means not to far we will start hearing about games exclusivity contracts when the competition heats up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPhone OS 3-4 got a Froyo type update - its called iMemory Enhancer. It freed up about 43MB on my 3GS! I now have over 200MB of RAM free! LOL!

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

A developer I know (I'll have to look up the particular app we were talking about) had an app on both platform. The app on the top 10 in the android store was making lees than the iPhone version that wasnt even in the top 100.

EDIT: The developer is Gamevil and the game in question is Baseball Superstars and he was making less at #1 in the android store than the iPhone version was making when it even wasn't in the top 100.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 07-05-2010 at 01:14 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    surprised at how few cross platform developers there are, however, that's bound to change now that At&T has got a high end android phone
    Not sure which phone ur referring to but the aria is at best the AT&T version of the hero in terms of specs the only high end android phone on the network is the AT&T nexus one

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have just started checking into this also. I have a little bit of self taught windows programming experience. Nothing serious, just as a hobby.

The first step is to get a mac computer if you don't already have one. You need to be using OS X to install the Apple development software. Check into the system requirements for Apple's development software before buying a mac to make sure it will run. I have never used a mac so I can't really help there yet.

EDIT: According to Apple, "The iPhone SDK and Xcode tools can be used on any Intel-based Macintosh computer running Mac OS X v10.5 or later."

Second, you need to register as a software developer here: Register as an Apple Developer
    You don't need to pay $99 to start learning. You can register for free and start learning how to program with the SDK and other tools. Once you figure it all out and make an app you think is ready to sell, then you can pay the $99 and submit your app for review.
    Last edited by defdad; 07-05-2010 at 01:48 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to defdad For This Useful Post:

jonsup (07-07-2010)

Thanks

The key word(s) are for now

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Let's not forget that the Apple appstore is also older. I doubt this will be this way forever. In any case, it is foolish to think it won't keep growing. Even if devs won't make as much with android it is STILL another way to make money, an avenue they would be foolish not to tap.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree that apple has a the Market at the moment. But in a few wks to a month if not already. Android will take up the fight 10 fold. Although the android app store is no where near what apple's it will catch up and we will be left stranded. We have to wait once a year before we get an upgrade. I've seen alot of so called IPhone killers and there is only one that comes near in my opinion. SE's new X10. It's an awsome mobile. Be damned if I buy it. But upgrades happen with Android phones just as quick as desktops and laptops. So are we as avid iPhone users (me being one from the beginning) gonna be hung out to dry. Apple needs to release more. Their marketing strategy if by all accounts is the best. But it's getting tight now.
    Last edited by darrenochpower; 07-05-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darrenochpower View Post
    I agree that apple has a the Market at the moment. But in a few wks to a month if not already. Android will take up the fight 10 fold. Although the android app store is no where near what apple's it will catch up and we will be left stranded. We have to wait once a year before we get an upgrade. I've seen alot of so called IPhone killers and there is only one that comes near in my opinion. SE's new X10. It's an awsome mobile. Be damned if I buy it. But upgrades happen with Android phones just as quick as desktops and laptops. So are we as avid iPhone users (me being one from the beginning) gonna be hung out to dry. Apple needs to release more. Their marketing strategy if by all accounts is the best. But it's getting tight now.
    In a way, your scenario gives Apple the upper hand, actually. Newer and better phones constantly being released makes it hard for devs to develop on the platform. Do we make an app that doesn't utilize the full power of the newest device or do we make an app that will run sluggish on the "old" devices of merely a few months ago? I think in this sense Apple has it done right. Sort of like a gaming console, there is a set of standards that remains [nearly] the same over time. Frankly I also do not think that iPhone users want to see phones more frequently anyway. The iPhone userbase is largely one that upgrades all the time. That would be much more difficult to do every three months as opposed to every year. The 12 month "lifecycle" of the phone also helps keep its value up (although admittedly this is of no real concern for Apple, but it is for us as consumers.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

atalien2005 (07-06-2010)