+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Takes Aim at BGR and Fake Steve Jobs Email

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This story is so untrue- meaning, they have so many people working on their public image, do you really think they would make such a huge and stupid mistake?
    Thanks

This story is so untrue- meaning, they have so many people working on their public image, do you really think they would make such a huge and stupid mistake?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikiPhone For This Useful Post:

drdoctormd (07-05-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cory View Post
    You may be right, or you could be wrong about the author. I personally don't pay attention to who writes an article on here and don't believe a dam* thing on the internet until I see it with my own two eyes. But my question is... if these articles bother you so much, why read them? Why don't you do something more then complain about who writes them and try to get on mmi as a writer yourself. I believe the phrase I'm looking for is... "Put up or shut up".

Like I said. You may be right about this author. But don't complain if your not going to do anything about it.
    With this ridiculous logic, one should not complain about a damn thing he/she cannot change alone? Damn, I guess we shouldn't have complained about all the features the previous phones didn't have since each of us alone couldn't change a damn thing about that. Sam goes for politics. Why EVER disagree with what your government is doing? You alone cannot change it, right?

Back to reality...
    One of the best things to be given about one's work is feedback. Complaining and pointing out flaws in cases like this is what keeps us moving forward (except maybe in the case of this MMI writer... or maybe we are just moving forward so slowly that we can't really tell).

I take it you take constructive criticism very poorly to have written a post such as this?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

mortopher (07-05-2010), szr (07-05-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The official response from apple sounds very much like this email chain from Jobs.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So which news site did mmi rip this article from, because if you actually investigate you will see these emails came from apple itself.

Maybe Steve jobs doesn't monitor his inbox and has people reply but these did come from computers at apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pjbtk View Post
    wow is it so far fetched to think that apple could lie and i don't know what the big deal is just wait for the patch. I don't know why everyone is up in arms over a BRAND NEW product having bugs, to the point that they are making class action law suits based on an antenna problem for a phone that is not even a month old, return the damn thing or sell it on ebay, i'll buy it, lol
    The fact that it's new excuses it from having any issues? I dunno about you, but when I buy a final product, I want a final product. I don't want the beta. That's why I don't buy Microsoft stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethd View Post
    The fact that it's new excuses it from having any issues? I dunno about you, but when I buy a final product, I want a final product. I don't want the beta. That's why I don't buy Microsoft stuff.
    i love using beta stuff, don't u , maybe mac guys don't get to experience beta releases, linux and msft guys get them all the time. I guess we just have a higher tolerance for errors

I just can't believe that there is this big of antenna problem. Maybe its a manufacturing problem, too many foxconn employees falling asleep on the job, lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lewisdenny View Post
    i think it hilarious that a adult can act like such a child. if he did it why doesn't he just own up to it instead of blaming other people.
    Or perhaps if he didn't send it, Apple should pursue legal action.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here are the possiblilities

1) The email was authored by Steve Jobs

2) The email was authored by an associate who had access or authorization to Steve Jobs' email account.

3) The email header was somehow spoofed.

4) BGR is fabricating this story completely or in collusion with the complainant.

Take your pick. But, try to see the truth without prejudice.

Thanks

May be Steve is suffering that Sudden Insult Rampage illness like Grandma, but typing instead of talking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotek View Post
    Anyone with skills can forge e-mail headers to say that it was received from anyone. Geez..

Could spoof the originating IP and DNS name so it looked legit if you came and sat down at my desk to read it.. Would even look legit on the incoming server logs.

Headers prove nothing these days people, unless there is a log of this on Apple's actual SMTP server take it with a grain of salt. I wonder what Apple's retention policy looks like.

P.S. Look out for the nasty e-mail Steve is sending me tomorrow... lol - kidding
    Spoofing ip addresses only works one way. That is, I can send you a packet that says its from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, but when you try to respond with an "ack" to that IP, that IP will be like "IDKWTF you're talking about". Transferring a file like an email requires several "acks" and the file transfer won't actually work if you're spoofing your ip address.

As for the headers, there was a time when any SMTP server would blindly accept any domain after "HELO" and any sender after "MAIL FROM" but those days are more or less gone, and anyways the header data will still show the originating server of the email (which SMTP server it was) and then its a trivial matter to check and see if that's an open relay. In order to fake it the headers with SMTP you'd have to have complete control over one of the servers involved.

What you could do is fake up an email with fake headers on some server that you do control (any server) and then use IMAP to sync that email to your gmail account. Then someone could log into your gmail account and see that email there. However, I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe there is SOME indicator somewhere that Gmail received that email via an IMAP sync from another server. Assuming there is, you'd be able to detect falsified headers in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    Delivered-To: [email protected]
    Received: by 10.223.120.9 with SMTP id b9cs118020far;
    Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:27:24 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: by 10.142.119.26 with SMTP id r26mr9657517wfc.257.1277872043323;
    Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:27:23 -0700 (PDT)
    Return-Path:
    Received: from mail-out3.apple.com (mail-out3.apple.com [17.254.13.22])
    by mx.google.com with ESMTP id h16si9548774rvn.123.2010.06.29.21.27.22;
    Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:27:23 -0700 (PDT)
    Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 17.254.13.22 as permitted sender) client-ip=17.254.13.22;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 17.254.13.22 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=[email protected]

Everyone gets free bumpers to fix "Signal" problem
    -Steve Jobs
    Sent from my iPhone

Was that so hard?

I like how people are such haters on the iPhone and how they have to find something wrong with it, no matter what. But when they fix the "signal" problems what are they going to find wrong with it next?
    Now all you have to do is find a way to upload that to your gmail account without altering the headers so that I can log into your email account and verify that the email is in fact "real". When you figure that part out, let us know.
    Last edited by Faxmonkey; 07-05-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Faxmonkey For This Useful Post:

mortopher (07-05-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

iBababooey'd lol

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234