Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple TV Will Be An "Entirely New Product"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Excel Wiz's Avatar
    Thanks

If Apple does a good job with this, it will be AMAZING.

MacBook Pro 15" Core i7|4GB|500GB|HiRes
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iPhone 3G 8GB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I'd love to see Apple TV be a single source for Hulu+, Streaming movies, a general media server for files stored on your computer.
    As someone already said, this already exists, and is called the new Mac Mini. Combine this with Plex, and what more do you need?

I do realize the new mini is a lot more expensive than the Apple TV, but if you want true 1080p HD, you're going to have to shell out a bit more $$. It looks like the current Apple TV only goes up to 720p, and apple's site doesn't even say how fast the CPU in it is. Add this to the fact that it looks like Apple TV will only play formats Apple wants you to use (ie, no x264 mkv) without substantial hacking, it's no wonder it's dying out. Yeah, setting up plex on a mac mini might be a little more work than just getting an Apple TV, but it's definitely worth it if you know what you're doing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomjack For This Useful Post:

cdm94 (07-07-2010)

If it supports mkv files natively and runs smooth I will buy it. I'm sick of my PS3 Media Server.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to oo3 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (07-04-2010)

Thanks

I don't watch enough tv to buy that.

This could really be an an exciting source for media
    killall Terminal[]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nyra98 View Post
    I guess Apple has decided to take over another market.
    I've given enough $$$ to big-brother Apple. Sell it to your fan-boys, they'll buy anything

Whether it runs iOS or another software, they need to expand their ability to play multimedia other than their own standard of H.264 if they're gonna sell a device made to play video. If they expand to play the industry standard formats like .avi, .divx, .mkv and all codecs associated with these they might actually sell. Most people do not want a device made for video that doesn't actually play most video formats (eg. apple tv)
    Last edited by kraziebone; 07-02-2010 at 04:11 PM.

@kraziebone
    Don't you mean Operating System, not software; those are completely different things

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nyra98 View Post
    I guess Apple has decided to take over another market.
    Well Apple have an good general idea and let's hope that the new Apple TV can compete with WD Live TV or The Asus O!Play Air HDP-R3.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I truly never really understood the point of this device. Well, I guess I understood the point, but it always fell short of what it should have been. For a couple hundred bucks one can have a media center PC. I find that to be, hands down, the most economical and efficient "DVR replacement." That said, Apple can still knock our socks off (or at least sell it to us in a way that we think our socks have been knocked off), but I doubt it will be economical at all. Some have mentioned the Mac mini... but if you are just wanting a media center type machine, it can be had for FAR less money by building your own media center PC. Fanboys will cringe, but your experience is also going to be much better with the latter IMO.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    ...I doubt it will be economical at all. ...
    When dealing with Apple, a guarantee!

I love my AppleTV but it is dying for a hardware revision. Come on Apple this is the main thing I am waiting for. I am close to buying a macmini, even more so with the newest design but am waiting to see if they do a redo of the AppleTV.

Which I am sure they will probably use a A4 chip in it with the way things are going.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bzpilot View Post
    there will be a software update "in the next few weeks" that will re-adjust the alignment of the earth and moon and in turn fix your issues.
    lmao...:d:d:d

Thanks
    Well, it won't do Hulu, since it sure as hell won't do flash. With cloud based iTunes rumored to be coming sometime this year, I wouldn't be too surprised. Probably released before the Holiday shopping season. Apple will have it only with the h26 whatever format it is, because Apple "knows whats best for us". In the future they'll release a software update enabling more media support, but for a cost. They won't market it as a TV though, they'll market it as a complete home media system. It'll play music, so you can use it for your "home stereo". Movies obviously via itunes rentals and TV shows too.

I see it happening. Those are just my predicitions. Oh and yes, if you hold the remote with your left hand, you actually can't control the TV, it must be held in the right hand, since holding it otherwise will diminish it's effectiveness, since this is true in all wireless remotes. They will sell an attachment for the remote though, it will cost $30, be available in all your favorite colors but red for some reason, and the remote itself will incorporate a gyroscope, for no real reason. The Retina Display clarity of the buttons will almost make you want to look at the remote more than the damn TV.
    JaydeTech-Themes, Tutorials, Hacks, Tips, and More
    I don't believe in charging for themes...but I believe in donations for great work
    Current WIP- Natural Theme

Default apple lcd or oled tv
    why doesn't apple make a nice lcd tv, i think they will make bank on this.

Lol the "apple tv" will be an actual TV it's going to be a ginormous iPad. With ios on it and you will use your iPad/iPhone/iPod touch as the remote control lol it may or may not have a touch screen. Then they will act like there has never been anything like it before. There has never been televisions until now. There's never been a giant iPod touch until now. Oh wait iPad....

I know, they'll use their "dedicated cash" to buy netflix, shut it down, release iFlix (that only works on apple products of course) and call it the biggest leap since the invention of TV. It's antenna will run around the outside and if you grip the remote too hard, your tv will slowly cease to display any video.

...Srry to anyone who might have already posted this, i was in a hurry and didn't read thru all of the comments

Quote Originally Posted by stfudvs View Post
    so i waited in line yesterday for 4 hours to get my itv, but when i got home and got it all hooked up i noticed if i hold the remote in my hand i can't change channels? Anyone else have tthis problem?
    lmao.

Green Apple
    Thanks

ROFLMAO

Originally Posted by bzpilot View Post
    there will be a software update "in the next few weeks" that will re-adjust the alignment of the earth and moon and in turn fix your issues.

Now that some funny sh#T

iPhone? More like MyPhone mmurphmsu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cartman13 View Post
    they already released the new apple TV, it's called the new mac mini.
    Thats what I was gonna say. The Mini can do whatever the Apple TV can and more now since it has an HDMI port.
    Please hit "Thanks!" if I helped you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast