+ Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Planetbeing Up For Challenge to Make iPhone 4 Exploit Jailbreak Happen

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by kmmxracer @Levirules. I also am not fond of apples attempt at multitasking. It gets the job done but after a few hours of use I end up
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kmmxracer View Post
    @Levirules. I also am not fond of apples attempt at multitasking. It gets the job done but after a few hours of use I end up with a dock full of apps that takes longer to get through then just going to the springboard. I would love to see jailbreak devs implement better tasking into the existing UI
    I also have a dock full of apps which is really unorganized, how do I delete them?

Also how can they even call this multitasking? If im on a certina page say searching on ebay, and I want to check my mail yet go back to my ebay app/page the app restarts all over again?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Levirules View Post
    "Also, I will likely use backrounder and circuitous or proswitcher as opposed to Apple's lame ***** attempt at multitasking"

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why their implementation of multitasking is so inferior?
    You are not alone. Overall I really like how Apple implemented multitasking in iOS 4. I like the idea of how some applications run in the background (well specific tasks of their's do at least) but what I find very clever is the so called "freeze states" for other applications. That being said, I really wish they would let you regulate which apps utilized each of the functions; there is no need for every single thing I open to be queued in the quick launch menu. I am aware of the "remove recents" patch in Cydia that removes all of the non-backgrounding apps from the list, but it's not an all or nothing decision for me. There are freeze state apps that I would like to keep in the quicklaunch menu, but other apps i would like to be able to have just close completely, bypassing the quicklaunch all together. Frozen state is a needless, and in most times a pain in the *** ability for things such as the Settings Application.

A workaround for all of this would be to install both Backgrounder and Remove Recents from Cydia and then go in and customize the Backgrounder settings for each specific frozen state app (this is merely speculation as I have yet to try it out on my old 3GS). While the end function would be the ideal implimentation I desire, I feel it's a bit disappointing Apple couldn't simplify it in a native app management system.

Green Apple
    Thanks

"I also have a dock full of apps which is really unorganized, how do I delete them?"

Just like deleting apps, hold the home button while the quick launch is up until the icons start having seizures. Then click the x's.

I would like it if they ha more setting regarding their native multitasking. Personally, I'm a little OCD, and I close out apps i I'm not going to use them right away again. There's usually only 3 or 4 things in my quick launch bar. I would like to be able to set a time limit though, like "after 5 minutes, close any unused apps." This would keep the quick launch bar (task manager, let's face it) clean while letting you switch back and forth during use. Wouldn't mind opening apps from scratch after the phobe's been asleep for an hour.

However, I've found no such setting, and I don't think apps remove themselves from the list. I think I'll do a test by opening something I never use and keep it on the list for a solid week.

Thanks

Tap and hold an app icon in the recents list to quit applications you don't wan there. Recently used apps get pushed to the front of the list (left-most).

Not sure whats so bad about this, it works fine as is. If you don't like seeing all the icons of unused apps, remove them by quitting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    I also have a dock full of apps which is really unorganized, how do I delete them?

Also how can they even call this multitasking? If im on a certina page say searching on ebay, and I want to check my mail yet go back to my ebay app/page the app restarts all over again?
    Answer to first part: Open up the quicklaunch bar and hold down on any icon as if you were going to move it on the springboard. When the apps start to wiggle you will see the red delete icon in the top left, this is essentially the iPhone equivalent of OS X's Force Quit functionality.

Answer to part 2: The reason apps are restarting like that is due to them not being updated (or at least not properly updated) to iOS 4.0 compatibility. There are a number of apps that work great with the multitasking and it really is a breeze and a joy to use them. The superb performance of multitasking does make it almost painful when you open the occasional app (eBay for example) that has yet to be updated for 4.0, much like stubbing your toe and stumbling mid-stride. As time passes this will be a moot point though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

bobright (06-30-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone allicatmeow's Avatar
    Thanks

keep up the good work guys. i'm donating as soon as the JB comes out (and i get paid)!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    If you don't like seeing all the icons of unused apps, remove them by quitting.
    Like I said a few posts back, the fact that I have to go back and force quit things like Settings just shows that there is much to be desired. Apple could have easily corrected this with a simple function to calculate number of taps & swipes it would take for someone to exit an app and access the next desired app from the springboard and then comparing it to the number of taps & swipes it takes to access that same desired app through the quicklaunch bar.

Swiping to the left on the quicklaunch bar ten times to find the app, is nowhere near my idea of quick anything.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tellytel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Levirules View Post
    "I also have a dock full of apps which is really unorganized, how do I delete them?"

Just like deleting apps, hold the home button while the quick launch is up until the icons start having seizures. Then click the x's.

I would like it if they ha more setting regarding their native multitasking. Personally, I'm a little OCD, and I close out apps i I'm not going to use them right away again. There's usually only 3 or 4 things in my quick launch bar. I would like to be able to set a time limit though, like "after 5 minutes, close any unused apps." This would keep the quick launch bar (task manager, let's face it) clean while letting you switch back and forth during use. Wouldn't mind opening apps from scratch after the phobe's been asleep for an hour.

However, I've found no such setting, and I don't think apps remove themselves from the list. I think I'll do a test by opening something I never use and keep it on the list for a solid week.
    this is how i feel. All that is really needed is like an option to bg when we exit the app. I always delete the apps i dont want open. I dont like the idea of having every app open in the dock. Hopefully jb comes soon and we get that from cydia or something.

Thanks

Default agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by shirwan72 View Post
    Okay Dev Team, an ideal release date would be July 4th, independence from Apple day!! I'm not even American, but for one day, I will!
    that's what I said in another thread...

even name it something like independence/freedom etc..

Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter

Thanks

So many things I miss from the jailbreak. iPhone 4 is an amazing device...but just doesn't feel the same with out the JB. I check twitter and MMi constantly to see if any new progress has been made like crazy!!!
    FIFIRI FLIES

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hooray, lets hope for their success.
    I was unfortunately stupid enough to update my iPhone until the JB is out, i never really used all the previleges of the JB but i hate the idea that my phone is useless , also i see many people talking about the multi-tasking...How do i even use it? I dont see the REAL potential of the thing, we didnt had it before, and we were fine Can someone explain the true point in multi-tasking?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"I want this JB" "I need a release date" "Release it now" WTF are these people stupid this takes work, the world doesn't revolve around you people, these devs work very hard....be patient and stop thinking about yourselves for once. All of these JBs don't just fall out of the devs arses, they take slot of time and effort. How about a congrats or good job from those of you that seem to think that there's a f*ckin magical fairy that's holding out on you....just my 2 cents

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
    that makes no sense considering u can actually switch back and forth between apps.
    its not the same no, but its def more then enough to hold anyone over.
    Nothing will ever be as fast as QuickReply. Replying from the lockscreen should be integrated into iOS4 in my opinion. And you can't switch from app to app till the applications are updated.

Thanks

Devteam!!!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

"you can do it!!!!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This is great! One step closer to an iPhone 4 unlock!! Right now I have an expensive camera/ Internet browser. I want to use my new phone full time with tmobile! When will the unlock come???!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    I keep swiping my statusbar on my iPhone 4 for SBSettings out of habit...

::sigh::
    hahaha.. same here!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    Swiping to the left on the quicklaunch bar ten times to find the app, is nowhere near my idea of quick anything.
    If it was a recent app, it will be on the first page, and furthermore if you're already on the springboard, just tap the app's icon there to save yourself those valuable 3 seconds swiping .__.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    If it was a recent app, it will be on the first page, and furthermore if you're already on the springboard, just tap the app's icon there to save yourself those valuable 3 seconds swiping .__.
    At least read the entire post. i wasn't talking about if i was on the springboard to begin with.

I was saying that it would have been very easy for Apple to write an algorithm to calculate whether or not it's worth keeping frozen state app "X" in quick launch after it reaches a specific position in the queue based upon where the app is located on the springboard.

Example:

Lets imagine Scorecenter (I have no idea if this is a freeze state app or not at the moment, just using an example) is on the 2nd page of my springboard in my sports folder.

Pretend I'm using Meebo and want to go look check the scores of a game on my Scorecenter app. In order to access it on the springboard i have to tap the home button (1), swipe to the 2nd page (2), open the sports folder (3), and then finally tap the Scorecenter app, making it a total of four gestures to reach the app on the springboard while in the middle of another app. Now, the algorithm I was saying Apple should use would determine where in the Quicklaunch queue Scorecenter would take more gestures to reach than in the previous example. For arguments sake I am counting the doubletap to open the quicklaunch as one gesture. Using this method I would open the quicklaunch (1), swipe left to 2nd grouping (2), swipe left to 3rd grouping (3) and then select the app from the queue (4). This would mean that any position in the queue after the first 3 groupings (first 12 apps in the queue) would require more gestures than just opening it from the SB. Therefore iOS would be able to determine it is a waste to have the app stored in the queue once it reaches position 13 and would thus kill the app and remove it from the list.

I understand that this would take a bit of time at the beginning to become accustomed to, but it would be very simple to use down the road.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So since the iPhone 4 has been jailbroken. Does that mean the 3GS with the new bootrom can be jailbroken too? Or is the iPhone 4 on something totally different?

+ Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast