+ Reply
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible fix for reception issues?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
definitely helped compared to before. If I give it the death grip, I can make it lose signal. but it wont lose signal by normal use anymore which is a
    Green Apple
    Thanks

definitely helped compared to before. If I give it the death grip, I can make it lose signal. but it wont lose signal by normal use anymore which is a start.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    Why do people need a video for this? For the love of god just put some tape on your sim lol.No video needed! But do yourself a favor and forget about it because it doesnt work. The sim tray is lined.
    If you read, the video is to show that the sim tray is NOT the culprit.

Thanks

Not sure exactly how to go about fixing this with the above mentioned options. Ie: taping. What do you tape? The gold contacts? The sim tray? The sacrificial coatings. What exactly do you use? Brand names please. Then instructions. If this is in fact the issue AT&T will be issuing everyone new improved sims in the near future.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

bobright (06-29-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lll2for3lll View Post
    He's right. I used my Multimeter and there wasn't any current.
    thank you for watching the video. i think it needs to be edited into the main post because now people are going to destroy the inside of their phones with tape and possibly their sim cards by cutting them down even more. I hope more people watch it and realize its not the problem before its to late for them.

and as for my 2 cents on the death grip.
    my iphone had this problem for the first two days i had it and now no matter what i do to try to make it drop bars it doesn't happen anymore

Thanks

^Enlighten us please, what part of the sim do we tape? I see the OP edited and a pic it appears you only tape a small part of the bottom?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

No matter how lower I get my bars by touching the bands I always have 3g speeds that are the same as if I had full bars.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

here's my experience, i've been expirmenting with this since i read it earlier...

the tape method doesn't seem to fully resolve the issue. The "death grip" is still happening.

What I DID notice was that removing the sim and putting it back in the WITH the tape gave me a temporary moment when the death grip didn't seem to drop me past 3 bars (where as it usually kicks me down to 1)...

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the sim and the act of removing it and putting it back in more than it touching any metal, as the video shown by arfreitas12 proves.

I will continue using the phone but the death grip problem has not gone away for me, and I've carefully blocked the metal contacts from the sim using tape, paper, etc.

if it works for you, maybe your phone is different from mine. wanna trade?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edouble312 View Post
    here's my experience, i've been expirmenting with this since i read it earlier...

the tape method doesn't seem to fully resolve the issue. The "death grip" is still happening.

What I DID notice was that removing the sim and putting it back in the WITH the tape gave me a temporary moment when the death grip didn't seem to drop me past 3 bars (where as it usually kicks me down to 1)...

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the sim and the act of removing it and putting it back in more than it touching any metal, as the video shown by arfreitas12 proves.

I will continue using the phone but the death grip problem has not gone away for me, and I've carefully blocked the metal contacts from the sim using tape, paper, etc.
    Wouldn't it have to be electrical tape? Will clear scotch tape do, is that what you used Happy Noodle Boy?
    Last edited by bobright; 06-29-2010 at 11:04 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was a somewhat none believer at first when I first heard about this I experienced no issue with Edge on, yesterday I used 3G Internet for the first time and I instant noticed the death grip or newly any grip gives some sort of signal drop, I go from 5 bars on 3G to 0 and the phone switching itself to 2G again. I tried the tape trick didn't work.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JonnyBoy123's Avatar
    Thanks

This is awesome news! All those ppl that were in an up rage about this signal issue ready to switch to android can now stay with the iPhone 4! I myself was getting second thoughts about buying an iPhone 4, but now I'm worry free! Serious kudos to that dude that found this fix!
    - JonnyBoy123

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Just tested it again with another iPhone. I removed the sim slid it back in reset the settings and phone. Now the death grip is gone. WTH? Also a friend of mine in Europe isn't having a problem. I think that Apple is baffled as well which is why they are staying quiet for a fix until they figure out the real issue. None the less. I'm still happy with my new bad ***** gadget. Just wish I could use the FaceTime over skype and theme the icons on this bad boy. Patients :-). Oh and netflix where are ya at???

Thanks

It worked !!! for me never got 5 bar only 3 since got the phone
    Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I also want to throw in my thoughts on the 3g speeds. I have really good 3g connection in the area im in(usualy 2mb/s +) however when i am on the network for a long period of time i seem to get bottlenecked by att or something and i go down to having speeds of .01 mb/s (still with full service bars on 3g)
    It seems to me its a att network issue no the new iphone.

Thanks

This may have actually worked for me...All bars soo far! The death grip still is a problem but with my case and this fix I have great reception.

Thanks

Didn't work for me either. But I don't have the problem in the first place unless I intentionally hold my phone in a way that no one should hold their phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lll2for3lll View Post
    If you read, the video is to show that the sim tray is NOT the culprit.
    There are people in here requesting a tutorial video.
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Omg I can't believe apple didn't figure this out lol.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    Omg I can't believe apple didn't figure this out lol.
    omg because its NOT! the problem.... This post was a bad idea for modmyi before they actually looked into it...

Thanks

I don't see how that was a fix. If you look at the sim tray you will notice a gray plastic sticker that is covering the metal tray. Here take a look.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to XFaega For This Useful Post:

sobeniceguy2 (06-29-2010)

Thanks

Well I tried taping the sim. [just the very edge on the shortest side] making sure not to tape over any of the 3 grooves on the sim gold contact where the phones contacts engage. Ensuring that the phone still makes a connection to the sim. Reinserted. Restarted phone. Popup indicated that no sim was inserted. I used about a mm of tape on the edge without overlapping the sim to phone contact zone and it wouldn't recognize my sim. Glad I didn't try anything other than tape.

+ Reply
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast