Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible fix for reception issues?

I used taped. It took less than 5 minutes. It worked.

Update: Not working.

Update: Works sometimes and sometimes doesn't work.
    Last edited by lll2for3lll; 06-29-2010 at 11:36 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lll2for3lll For This Useful Post:

ianbroste (06-30-2010)

i tried this by applying scotch tape carefully on the side of the microsim tray but still when holding the phone by so called the "Death Grip" the signal gets from 5 bars to "0"

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

This did help out. However, I am starting to think this also has to do with a software issue as well. I tested my 3GS and also got the bars to drop. I did a mic test on the sim card and the side of the death grip sweat spot. (used a micron and some coated thin wire from RS to connect the micro sim to one end while in the iPhone. What I found is that there is a positive connection to side of the iPhone and the sim. I repositioned the sim and coated the tray with some nail polish (clear). Now I get no connection. In addition the bar drop is not as prevalent.
    I tested my 3gs on IOS4 and went from -75 to -120 reception in my hand. I then re-installed 3.1.3 and had a steady -80. This makes me think that the new way Apple designed the software to search for a signal in IOS 4 needs to be tweaked. (do you all remember the cell days when you could actual change the cell search (to save bat life ect) from constant, fast ect... :-)

BTW anyone happen to know the field mode code for IOS4? The old code: *3001#12345#* does not work :-(

Dennis

In a nutshell I am very pleased with the 4G. It rocks and I have not had any dropped calls. My only gripe is the FaceTime. Its like licking a lollipop with the wrapper on. lol Wish Skype, and other apps were out already to use. :-)

Great job Apple! I wont hate, just appreciate.

BTW... I got my iPhone 4 out of shear luck. Went to best buy to get some headphones for my daughter and one of the irritating "can I help you people" approached me and said "can I help you" for the 10th time. I finally said yes you can... Sell me a 32gig iPhone 4. To my surprise he said we should have a couple in 30 min when the UPS guy comes... Well I was lucky i guess they had two 32gig and 4 16 gig (for reorders folks).

^ please do I'm looking forward to trying out this once I see a vid on how it's done... I don't quite understand what to do

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

I just put clear tape over my ant point. Will test this out. I cut my sim though.

I dont have this problem with the htc evo sharing wifi to my touch3g

The reception never really bothered me. It's the proximity sensor that's bugging the hell out of me. Every once and a while, my cheek will hit the mute button because of the screen turning off and on during calls. This never happened on the 3G or original iPhone. I wonder if they can fix that with an update.

Overall......I really love the iPhone 4.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lll2for3lll For This Useful Post:

iphone925 (06-29-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Fats View Post
    This guy definately just signed up to post that he had an EVO. Wow.

I used about an 1/8 inch of tape and it worked great can't get anything that I could before with my hands any where on the band

meh, rubber case has worked great for me
    but its still good peace of mind to know what is really wrong with the antenna band.

Edit:Tape does not work.
    I have tried Scotch tape, Duct Tape, and now Electrical Tape. It does not work.

I don't think this is the sims card fault guys.
    Last edited by JayQuint87; 06-30-2010 at 12:00 AM.

Latest Project: iEvo HD4 TrueHD iPhone4 theme. ~~~ Click Donate to support my theme's!

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Fats View Post
    HTC = Kia

Worked for mine and my wifes. Used masking tape on the sim and cut the excess off no more signal loss on both phones. Holding it death grip and still full bars. Thanks for the tip.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    people dont read other posts in here so i made a video and put it on youtube. sorry if its filmed weird i had to use my iphone to make the video
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgWUSqzRxuo]YouTube - iPhone4 sim tray is not the culprit[/ame]

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arfreitas12 For This Useful Post:

lll2for3lll (06-29-2010), muffins (06-30-2010), river0 (06-30-2010)

I tried to coat the inside with paint didnt work. I am just going to buy a bumper lol
    "Answering 1 Question at a Time."

iPhone 4: 32GB iOS 4.1 JB
    MacBook Pro 13.3": 2.26ghz/4GB/160GB SL 10.6.5
    iMac 21.5": 3.06ghz/4GB/500GB SL 10.6.5

Why do people need a video for this? For the love of god just put some tape on your sim lol.No video needed! But do yourself a favor and forget about it because it doesnt work. The sim tray is lined.
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

Will someone please email the "brilliant engineers" they have working at Apple about this. Maybe they can now make a fix, idk a new sim tray or new sim cards for everyone with the issue? Much more cheaper than free bumpers for Apple. Lol they probably will take credit for this and say our "brilliant engineers" have found the solution.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I was thinking of opening it up and swapping the left antenna cable with the right... Then I can hold it in my left hand like I want to!
    PS the tape did NOT work... With scotch or electrical tape...
    Last edited by Silverd77; 06-30-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peach_nick View Post
    I used about an 1/8 inch of tape and it worked great can't get anything that I could before with my hands any where on the band
    what part are people taping?

wouldnt tape get jammed inside the phone somewhere? it seems a tight fit.

Quote Originally Posted by arfreitas12 View Post
    people dont read other posts in here so i made a video and put it on youtube. sorry if its filmed weird i had to use my iphone to make the video
    YouTube - iPhone4 sim tray is not the culprit
    He's right. I used my Multimeter and there wasn't any current.

just shaved a little off the top to make it slide it and now no gold metal connector touches the metel sim tray at all. put some type to hold it in position and put it back in. signal still goes down rather fast as you hold the bottom of the phone with 2 hands. no difference in that aspect. maybe phones will be different.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast