Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible fix for reception issues?

Yeah who wants to make the thing thicker, try being careful with your stuff and you wont need a case. My 3GS never was cased and it doesn't have one scratch anywhere. I should not have to buy a case to make my phone work like it normally should!!!

This fix didn't work for me but I started playing around with my phone and I switched from 3g to edge and it took like 20 minutes for 3g to come back on and now my phone is fixed. I can't make it lose signal with the death grip. Crazy!

People OMG seriously. If the contacts on the sim were touching metal, it would short the sim out to ground and would either fry the sim or just keep it from working altogether while it was shorted. Try this. Use tin foil instead of tape and see where that gets you. Probably to the AT&T store for a new sim. The tray is aluminum, not steel. It is lined and made to not short the sim to metal. Plus the sim has nothing what so ever to do with reception. It is simply your personal id to allow you to join the network. Also did I mention the sim has 3.3 volts DC powering it? I assure you, there is no contact with the sim tray. Apple can and will adjust signal to noise and antenna attenuation in next software update to improve the problem. Just chill and let them get it right. Remember, Steve Jobs was the guy who gave all of us 2G iPhone buyers 100 bucks to blow in his store, just because.... He didn't have to but he did... Now that's carachter if I ever saw from a company. If there is truly an unfixable problem, I am totally confident Apple will make it right it as close to possible. So lay back, chill, lift your pinky when on the phone for now, and pass that bowl. FYI, I have engineered RF circuits for 15 years, and software plays a huge role in antenna attenuation in such a device as the iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you take your sum tray out and actualy look at where the sim gos you can notice a non conductive strip. It's White I will try put a picture on when I get home from work.

ITT: A bunch of tards that don't understand electricity and blame ATT for "bad sim cards". Really? I gave this forum more credit.

Ahem.. THE SIM CARD COULD NOT BE "MESSED UP" FROM ANY AMOUNT OF ELECTRICITY OR CONDUCTIVITY COMING FROM YOUR HAND. Moreso, the sim will either WORK or it WON'T. There is no way to "mess" with a sim and cause your signal to drop.

There is a slight chance that if one of the sim panels was contacting the steel frame and sending a current FROM the chip INTO the antenna, that it could mess things up, but even that's unlikely. The results would probably be so catastrophic you'd get no signal at all, and your hand being on it certainly wouldn't have any effect.

L2conduction.. seriously. Can't believe there's 11 pages of discussion on this. I'm glad geohot personally called this out.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to reanimationxp For This Useful Post:

ErikiPhone (07-01-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    ITT: A bunch of tards that don't understand electricity and blame ATT for "bad sim cards". Really? I gave this forum more credit.

Ahem.. THE SIM CARD COULD NOT BE "MESSED UP" FROM ANY AMOUNT OF ELECTRICITY OR CONDUCTIVITY COMING FROM YOUR HAND. Moreso, the sim will either WORK or it WON'T. There is no way to "mess" with a sim and cause your signal to drop.

There is a slight chance that if one of the sim panels was contacting the steel frame and sending a current FROM the chip INTO the antenna, that it could mess things up, but even that's unlikely. The results would probably be so catastrophic you'd get no signal at all, and your hand being on it certainly wouldn't have any effect.

L2conduction.. seriously. Can't believe there's 11 pages of discussion on this. I'm glad geohot personally called this out.
    LOL get off your high horse a lot of this thread like the other 2 floating around, is people just venting and angry about the issue.

Thanks for the attitude readjustment chief Earl..Info assimilated!

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    LOL get off your high horse a lot of this thread like the other 2 floating around, is people just venting and angry about the issue.
    Nah, I'll stay on my "high" correct and logical horse, thanks.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

Quote Originally Posted by dcgore View Post
    I think this trick solved my issues, I even tried with the wet finger over the gap and no service drop!
    ^^ LMAO! WTF? I tried the "wet finger over the gap" trick with my GF and it solved all her issues too!

Cure-all son... cure-all.
    Last edited by HomieG35; 07-01-2010 at 03:42 AM. Reason: sry... fingraz wuz wet.

What a complete crock of cr*p!!!

Just to pour water on this, take out your sim tray and look inside, the inside edges that the sim rest on are coated with plastic / paint.

Also the actual layout of the contacts vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the lower row and the middle contact are not used

In the iPad the sim tray is not painted and the bottom row of contacts actually gets shorted out by the sim tray, but as they are not used, its caused no problems.

May anyone tell me what eggzakly to do with sim card, Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone zYxMa's Avatar
    Thanks

I did this
    http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8569/img0089bl.jpg
    http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1569/img0091mw.jpg (photos from ip4 with zoom)

My friend said that his reception slightly improved, but I don't believe him :P He will shortly find out that it didn't work :]

I haven't seen any improvement.

I also called Apple UK just now. The person I spoke with wasn't really helpful. Same crap. Get a bumper, case or if I don't want anything like that - don't hold the phone in the wrong way. I just wasted 11 minutes of my life...

Don't want to return the iphone 4, because there is no phone like this :/ I'm patiently waiting for software update since this can be software related.
    Last edited by zYxMa; 07-01-2010 at 05:56 AM.

Here's what GeoHot has to say:
    the tape on the sim thing is hilarious. phones pretty much work without sim cards. for intermittent issues, people find the dumbest "fixes".

no offence to geohot I respect his skills, but his lookout is from a software point of view, some engineering brilliance comes from trial and error or spur of the moment ingenuity

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

zmanforever (07-01-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    no offence to geohot I respect his skills, but his lookout is from a software point of view, some engineering brilliance comes from trial and error or spur of the moment ingenuity
    Spot on give it a try and and maybe the hypothesis will have a solved conclusion.

Chippy thread - I'm hoping the fix is out before my iPhone 4's come. I'm thinking/hoping a case that doesn't allow you to touch the band/antennae and a SW fix will make this go away.

Lmao dude. He was the first one to hardware unlock the iphone on it's debut at only 17! Speak intelligently.

Did some research and your right he is good with the hardware too.
    Last edited by dsg; 07-02-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks

Here's one for anyone ballsy enough to try it. Disassemble an older phone, and integrate a normal antennae into the iphone 4 to see if that helps reception. just don't use mine please!
    Heck, maybe i will do it. can somebody show me where the antennae plugs into the thingamawhichy and how the doodad plugs into that?
    I am serious. if someone can point me to the layout of the guts of this thing, i am willing to go for it! I have some NOKIA phones which had rockin reception laying around, just waiting for a day like, well, whenever somebody points me in the right direction!
    any takers?
    unklbyl
    Any helpers out there?

I looked at my sim tray on my iphone 4g and my fiancee's iphone 4 and both of ours were making contact with the metal tray.Hers was touching probably 1/32 of an inch.I put tape on both phones and they both seem to be working alot better now.Thanks alot!!!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast