Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible fix for reception issues?

I just tried this, my bars still drop. If there is ANY plus side to this, I can't get the phone to the "Searching" point of reception loss for the time being. I get stuck at one tiny little bar now. I guess this is a small victory.

Lastly, has anyone noticed that this signal loss with a deathgrip seems to happen primarily indoors? I have literally had both hands wrapped tightly around the phone in my parking lot with full bars. I tried to deathgrip every which way, and the bars never went down. If any of you are planning on showing off your phone to Fandroids, I recommend doing it outdoors so they can try to deathgrip it since thats probably on the top of their hatorade list.

iPhone? More like MyPhone wrecked77's Avatar
    Thanks

i didnt have any problems, but i did stick a piece of tape on the lower edge of the sim just incase. haha

Quote Originally Posted by alnk1015 View Post
    can you use a sharpie and color the edge of the metal??
    i dont think that will work since the marker wont cover the fact that it will still be metal touching metal
    Last edited by wrecked77; 06-30-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

deleted
    Last edited by cartman13; 06-30-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: just feel silly for contributing to the madness
    If i say something stupid I apologize. If i say something smart: "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH".
    And if i help you, please hit the Thanks!

Wait for a sofware fix... something that will make the phone to drag more battery to have full signal even underwater.....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Is there any chance that the sim alignment is the problem? If it were more in the center of the sim tray cut-out it would work better?
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

if its ATT sims its O2 and Orange UK as well. because i have the same problem.
    No wait its the iPHONE
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

iPhone? More like MyPhone wrecked77's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeh that is what this thread started about

so yeah, I am confirming that this voodoo magic has worked in a limited sense on my iphone4. taping off the edge of my sim with a tiny piece of packing/storage tape has somehow saved me from losing all signal strength and going into "Searching" mode. My bars still drop, but it now stops at the lowest bar and stays there.

I tested this while on a visit to the throne in my office, which is notorious for low signals on any phone. I was able to receive and send texts to my girlfriend while paying homage to the porcelain god for about 5 minutes. Both hands were used on the iphone because I type with my thumbs, and my signal was 1bar the entire time. Just yesterday, in this exact same scenario, I was stuck on "Searching"...

So now I'm wondering, was it the tape, or was it merely reseating my sim card that brought about this change in performance?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iphone925 View Post
    True this doesn't work I am going to wait till the 28th day and by then if APPLE Doesn't fix this and MOST IMPORTANT That proximity sensor issue I am going to have to return this crappy phone Does anyone know here what exactly could be wrong with the proximity sensor i mean any ideas ?
    Apple is replacing mine today for the proximity sensor. FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotCross View Post
    Apple is replacing mine today for the proximity sensor. FTW!

Yea even I am waiting on the replacement let me know how does your replacement works out

I thought I might as well give this a go - so I put some electrical tape in the sim holder carefully so that my sim's contacts wouldn't touch the metal.

I tried with both my O2 and Orange Sims... and I still get the same crappy 'o' internet signal at work - despite my buddy getting 3-4 bars of 3G sitting next to me on his 3GS!

I'm on my second iPhone 4, and have tried 2 x O2 Sims, and 1 x Orange Sim... and they're all the same. The signal on the iPhone 4 is just dreadful if you're not in a GREAT signal area!

Wow! what an easy fix! This totally worked to fix my problem

Green Apple
    Thanks
    this kinda reminds me of the state of my you should be in when trouble shooting a car. look for simple solutions first, ha

I have an iphone4 and got it on the 24th first in the q as well.
    I think it has been working ok apart from the signal dropping all the time. Strange thing is if i put my phone flat down for more than 5 mins all the bars go meaning ni signal but you can still phone the phone as it works still but shows no signal strenth. Anyone know why this is? it is starting to anoy me now as i dont know if i am in a low sig area or not but strange for it to happen each time i lay the phone down.

Silent

Thanks

Just tried this and it seems to cure the problem. I am going to undo it and see if it comes back. Will report to confirm it worked twice.

Very clever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey, just want to remind the peeps that have tryed this and been unsuccessful to use (non-conductive) electrical tape. I may be speeking too soon, I'm still yet to try this myself, it just seems that using normal tape will definitely have no effect.

Also, my "death grip" is a bit of a funny one: in really poor reception (one bar) it drops to searching..., in poor reception (two bars) it drops to one and stays, BUT... get this: in ok reception (three bars) the grip puts the bars up! All the way to five!

Anyone else get this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone zYxMa's Avatar
    Thanks

For people who think that it only affects US - It's not. My friend and I live in UK, and both got our ip4s on 25th in Brighton Apple Store... We both have exactly the same problem.

It has NOTHING to do with AT&T or any other network!

At the moment I have not seen any prove for whether this is a hardware issue or a software issue, so for now any "solution" is worth a try :]

I tried normal cello tape first and when I grabbed my phone, it lost its signal entirely within 2 seconds. It went straight to 1 bar and then no network. I got 5 bars back and grabbed my phone again in the same "wrong" way, dropped to 3-2-1 but kind of slower then prior to cello tape operation. It seemed a bit more stable, but nowhere near "good enough". So then I tried an electric tape (silver :P) and I'm afraid I can't say that there was any improvement either.

Whilst I was typing this I got No Network message...

I'm on t-mobile UK with very good 3g signal, so is my friend. 16 and 32gb

I tried this, looked like it could be promising because the contacts were very close but it is not helping with mine at all. Drops just as many bars and just as fast, every time...

Quote Originally Posted by index View Post
    I just got a case -like any sane person should for their pretty pretty iPhone 4- and I haven't had issues since.

So, no issues AND my phone is protected.

+1 for index.
    i use my phones with no protection, not even a screen protector, just feels nicer that way to me

gonna try it now... lol!

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast