Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AppleCare Leak: No Warranty Service, No Free Bumpers

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AppleCare Leak: No Warranty Service, No Free Bumpers

AppleCare reps are being given careful instructions about what to say and how to handle customer complaints about iPhone 4 reception, according to a purportedly leaked document being featured on Boy Genius Report. Among other things, the doc tells reps to "not perform warranty service" and "DON'T promise a free bumper to customers."

Apple's official position since the issue was first reported has been, as Steve Jobs said: "There is no reception issue." The doc stresses that reps should "keep the positioning statements in the BN" (whatever that is) "handy:" these are talking points like "The iPhone 4’s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped" and "Gripping almost any mobile phone in certain places will reduce its reception.... it is a fact of life in the wireless world." Reps are reminded that their "tone is important" while discussing this issue.

What the document does not do is discuss any imminent firmware fixes -- or, for that matter, any fixes at all. They seem to be handling this as a customer communication issue only; only if your iPhone is having reception issues lying flat on its back without you touching it are you going to get any warranty service, unless you can somehow convince the AppleCare rep to go off script.

The script, however, is pretty strict:

1. Keep all of the positioning statements in the BN handy – your tone when delivering this information is important.
    a. The iPhone 4’s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. Our testing shows that iPhone 4’s overall antenna performance is better than iPhone 3GS.
    b. Gripping almost any mobile phone in certain places will reduce its reception. This is true of the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS, and many other phones we have tested. It is a fact of life in the wireless world.
    c. If you are experiencing this on your iPhone 3GS, avoid covering the bottom-right side with your hand.
    d. If you are experiencing this on your iPhone 4, avoid covering the black strip in the lower-left corner of the metal band.
    e. The use of a case or Bumper that is made out of rubber or plastic may improve wireless performance by keeping your hand from directly covering these areas.
    2. Do not perform warranty service. Use the positioning above for any customer questions or concerns.
    3. Don’t forget YOU STILL NEED to probe and troubleshoot. If a customer calls about their reception while the phone is sitting on a table (not being held) it is not the metal band.
    4. ONLY escalate if the issue exists when the phone is not held AND you cannot resolve it.
    5. We ARE NOT appeasing customers with free bumpers – DON’T promise a free bumper to customers
    It's got to be painful to be working the support lines at AppleCare these days: you're getting calls from (justifiably) angry customers and being told by your boss to watch your "tone."
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 06-29-2010 at 05:26 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

dm_hawk (06-30-2010), EVILFRED (06-29-2010)

Damn i was going to apple store tomorrow to try and get a free bumper too. I dont really have reception problems, but if its free its free!

I want to see a classaction law suit on apple

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I'm glad that my free bumper is already in the mail

I believe Apple's priority is customer satisfaction.. but ... i cannot see it here! Insane!

Quote Originally Posted by iphone925 View Post
    So do I. I don't think it's a coincidence that Apple has just now started selling bumpers for their iPhones.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to d4nky For This Useful Post:

demize95 (06-30-2010)

We all do.... This is something that they should have tested in every format.... A user should not change they way they handle there phone. Yes , all phones have that issue. But we never had a problem this bad with any iPhone release. So a class action lawsuit seems like the right approach since apple is not bending.

Quote Originally Posted by iphone925 View Post
    Thats rite!

Law suit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I'm glad that my free bumper is already in the mail
    Your lucky Stealth !!! I wish I would have made the call.

Thanks

So far mine is great but sign me up anyways. We put food on these peoples plates, them and their family's. Give everybody a REAL SOLUTION to these problems.

Thanks

I'm holding the iPhone with my right hand. I can see the bars drop but never really lost service.

Thanks

I qurss the DEV's will have to fix this, Apple says thanks.

Steve, you can't take all that money with you when you die.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billmilo For This Useful Post:

ErikiPhone (06-30-2010), midgetwithatophat (06-30-2010)

Remember guys the antenna is the result of brilliant engineering

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Maestro For This Useful Post:

cpkirkley (06-29-2010), drjailbreakMD (06-29-2010), ErikiPhone (06-30-2010), k.nitsua (06-29-2010), linkisbest (06-29-2010), spazturtle (06-30-2010), ultimatexpka (06-29-2010)

The Dell streak is looking more and more attractive, at least its legit its going to be on 2.2 android soon, im due to upgrade on thursday,think i will wait a bit for an iphone 4, something has to give here. I don't have any probs with my 3gs, so why fix what ain't broken!

ebay it now while its still up there

Thought I'd share this in case other people have this issue as well: my iPhone 4 has the much publicized reception issue BUT ONLY when its connected to wifi. It also refuses to push my mail when on wifi. When I turn wifi off or I'm out of range of a wifi connection, I CANNOT get the 3G reception to fade no matter how I touch it and it pushes my mail religiously.

When on wifi, if my left hand gets within 2 feet of it (mostly joking), it loses all reception almost immediately (including wifi) and won't push mail. I've tested this repeatedly in front of friends with the same result every time. Very, very strange. Its like the reception issue is tied to the wifi antennae or something.

Damn I want a free bumper lol

Thanks

Had my first dropped call today. Have a bumper on order. What I have noticed is if I'm in bed using my iPhone in landscape mode I'll lose signal (data/wifi). Mostly because I like the button on the right side and I get lazy and rest the phone on my chest. If I flip the phone over ( button on left) no signal issues. Also noticed that the signal degradation is not immediate. My feeling is had they placed the antenna band at the top of the phone it would be less of an issue. At least for the way I hold the phone. Considering all, it's still the strongest signal I've had on any iPhone provided I don't cover the spot

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast