+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Docs Goes Mobile in Sweet iOS Upgrade

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Google Docs is going to find some new friends in iPhone owners who will now be able to read their documents on their favorite smartphone. All told, Google is expanding
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Google Docs Goes Mobile in Sweet iOS Upgrade

Google Docs is going to find some new friends in iPhone owners who will now be able to read their documents on their favorite smartphone. All told, Google is expanding the reach of the Google Docs viewer into iPhone, iPad, and Android territory with the new-found ability to open and read a plethora of never before available document formats for viewing on mobile devices.

Mickey Kataria, a Google Docs software engineer, says that the mobile version of the Google Docs will "help you view PDFs, .ppt, .doc and .docx files you've uploaded to your documents list, without needing to download the file." With the mobile viewer you can now "switch quickly between pages and pan/zoom within a page." Working as well as anyone could hope, in the short while I've been tinkering with this new ability, it's hard to imagine returning to a time without it.

As the iPhone rapidly becomes more business-friendly, the expansion of access to a greater variety of file types will come as a great benefit to iOS. While these new bells and whistles come as a welcome development for all, Google has been laying the groundwork for the mobile version of Google Docs for quite some time. For months now, Google has allowed users to store a wide breadth of file types (up to 1Gb of data) online in Google Docs. But previously, this cloud-based data could only be retrieved and viewed on non-mobile devices.

So while the big story in recent days has been the launch, subsequent supply drama, and unavoidable complaints surrounding the iPhone 4 release, one of the biggest complaints of many Google fans and iPhone owners - the inability to view PDFs, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint files on the go - has now been resolved with the new upgrade from Google Docs.

Image via Google
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 06-29-2010 at 12:07 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rawhog's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome! Where do I download it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rawhog View Post
    Awesome! Where do I download it?
    I think its just the google docs website, mobile version

iPhone? More like MyPhone rawhog's Avatar
    Thanks

Found a $2.99 app in the app store.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As slbenficaboy was trying to say, it's not an app. It's like google voice, you go to a website using your browser. http://docs.google.com

The apps in the app store are all 3rd party.
    Last edited by buckhole; 06-29-2010 at 01:02 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    you can only view, not edit

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Can't wait until it's a editor and not just a viewer.

Thanks

Never heard of google docs before

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Download App from Google
    Quote Originally Posted by buckhole View Post
    As slbenficaboy was trying to say, it's not an app. It's like google voice, you go to a website using your browser. http://docs.google.com

The apps in the app store are all 3rd party.
    As buckhole points out, you won't find Google Docs (GD) in the Apple App store. BUT you will find it by pointing your browser to the website Buckhole gives: http://docs.google.com.

You may have to have a Google Mail account to access GD (I'm not sure, but it required me to log in). Then you type Google Docs in the search field and the page with the app appears. Download the Google Docs app and you're ready to go.

I haven't explored it much yet, but I slready love its voice search feature. Ask "how many gallons in a barrel of oil?" and POW, you have your answer.