+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Death Grip Lawsuit Coming?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Death Grip Lawsuit Coming?

A law firm that's known for starting or threatening class actions against tech companies now has its sights on Apple. Sacramento, California-based Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff is trying to put together a group of customers who are having reception issues with the iPhone 4 for a potential class-action lawsuit. On top of a lawsuit over the iPad 3G bait-and-switch, Apple's lawyers should have a busy summer.

Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff, LLP is conducting what the law firm calls a "Consumer Investigation" into the reception problems now known as the "iPhone 4 Death Grip." Their website urges people who “recently purchased the new iPhone and have experienced poor reception quality, dropped calls and weak signals” to contact them by phone, live chat, and email. Although they're not talking lawsuit at this time, it's clear that's what the "investigation" is about.

The firm has initiated a number high-profile class-action lawsuits, and won a $87 million US wage settlement for drivers with the package delivery company UPS. And last year, Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff filed a nationwide class action suit over deceptive “offer” ads in games like Mafia Wars and Farmville. KCR may have some reason to think that Apple is a prime target for a suit given that they had settled a class action for $22.5 million last year to end complaints that the original iPod nano was unusually susceptible to scratching.

Apple's official response to the Death Grip issue is still to just tell customers not to hold their iPhones in a way that lowers signal. Steve Jobs said explicitly in an email to a customer that "[t]here is no reception issue." Despite rumors of a firmware patch, no further action on the problem has even been hinted at by the manufacturer, which is generally silent about issues (like the 27-inch iMac screen glitches) until they have a fix in place. As Steve Jobs added in his email: "Stay tuned."

Thanks to all the tipsters who sent this in.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

my phone doesn't seem to have this issue, but perhaps my hands are dry? My work phone also drops 2 bars when held though, and it's Verizon. Either way though, lots of people have reported it but apple will likely make good on it so I just don't worry. Another thing to consider is that there are reception issues around every iphone launch because of the massive influx of new iphone's. It generally stabilizes though too so perhaps all we are seeing is the phone's weakness for holding a signal during an overstressed time too.
    Really?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think the whole reception thing is Bull SH*T, I have the IPhone4 and this phone has the best reception I have ever experienced on any cell phone! I live in Bronx, NY and as we all know there are millions on people here all using the same cell towers and I have not had any problems! But the real test was going to and from Connecticut and also my trip to L.I. NY where the reception on any phone & network is horrible, I held my phone in a grip the whole time while making calls and using maps for directions and kept all bars and full service the whole time without ever losing signal.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

For my iPhone 4 it seems to depend on where I am. Sometimes it does it...sometimes it doesn't. I have nit had any dropped calls or any issues

Thanks

i dont have any problems either even if i try 2 mess up the signal it still stays at full bars

Thanks

Gee, a class action Apple lawsuit. Where can I sign up to receive a settlement check for $1.87 in approximately 18-24 months?

This lawsuit is just to earn money for blood sucking lawyers, and not to allay any real world problems.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (06-29-2010)

Thanks

its amazing what people will do for money. Apple im sure will figure out a fix one way or another. Why do we have to sue. Money and greed. Its stupid. I really dont think apple would release I phone with problem on purpose. how would that benefit them in any way, We have way more corruption in this world than a signal problem on the iphone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

You gotta think three hitmen would be cheaper on apple's side of it.

That's why lawyers are the scum of the earth folks, below used car salesman and everything else. I know no less than 3 close friends that are lawyers and if I didn't know them I'd hate them. LOL.

.....and I've told them that.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

10. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

law111 (06-29-2010)

Thanks

"contact them by phone"

*preferably a land line

all joking aside, I've not lost a call on my i4, although I have seen my signal bars dance when holding it certain ways.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Such a joke. I think exNavy said it best though:

Gee, a class action Apple lawsuit. Where can I sign up to receive a settlement check for $1.87 in approximately 18-24 months?
    This lawsuit is just to earn money for blood sucking lawyers, and not to allay any real world problems.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Mine definitely has problems, because i normally grab it the way that causes the issue, with my left hand. I forgot about the problem and then lose all reception (usually browing the web) and have to scramble to get connected again.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

There has to be something to this reception issue. Myself, my wife and my friend at work all experience this issue. I used to ALWAYS get 3G at work and now I am mostly on Edge which is useless. And the bars do drop when I hold it. I wish someone would come up with and answer insted of sueing. I sold my 3GS so I cant go back to that!
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default stupid
    this is stupid.

i have no issues with my phone. and anybody who wants to jump the lawsuit bandwagon need to get a life. its a cell phone, while its pretty cool tech, i don't expect it to be perfect. If it was, it would be taking care of the BP oil spill. i wonder if there is an APP for that??

iPhone? More like MyPhone law111's Avatar
    Thanks

I have absolutely no problem with my iPhone 4, haven't dropped a call and it's actually stopped my dads dropped calls by his work, where he used to EVERY TIME drop my call off the iPhone 3GS, now with the iPhone 4 it's clear and hasn't dropped off... so screw you lawyers!
    iPhone Firmware - 4.1
    Service - AT&T
    Device - iPhone 4 BLACK 16GB

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not having the reception problem with my iPhone 4, but if these lawyers go after ATT for their Bait and Switch I'm all for it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The reception issue is real people (Just put your thumb and index finger over the two black strips on the bottom of the left and right side of the phone and wait 10 seconds, you will see your bars drop). And yes, lawyers are bloodsucking bastages, but hey, if the product was properly tested then apple would have nothing to worry about. I'm less concerned about the reception issue as a case seems to make it a moot point then I am about the proximity sensor. I've had my phone switch to speaker, hit keys on the numpad, and even make calls to other people, all while in the middle of a call.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Razz For This Useful Post:

DeviantGeek (06-29-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtb29er View Post
    its amazing what people will do for money. Apple im sure will figure out a fix one way or another. Why do we have to sue. Money and greed. Its stupid. I really dont think apple would release I phone with problem on purpose. how would that benefit them in any way, We have way more corruption in this world than a signal problem on the iphone.
    well, I'm not challenging that the lawyers are doing it for the money, but I strongly support the lawsuit since Apple has been irresponsible in releasing a faulty product. Firstly, do you really think Apple didn't know about this problem?? The issue is so widespread I find that very much unbelievable. Secondly, your talking about the "money and greed" of the lawyers but what about Apple?? why are they even denying this is a serious issue?? every phone has bad areas but........one commonly covered area which results in losing ALL RECEPTION?? that is NO ARGUMENT.

I myself am planning to buy the iPhone 4 when it gets released in my country for 629 EUROS and I think it is fair to, as a consumer, at least to be able to hold my phone the way I want it to without losing all reception!

PS: for the people who dont have the issue, im very happy since it gives me hope apple will be able to fix it but the complaints are so widespread that Apple made a serious mistake somewhere.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

A LawSuit isn't gonna change anything.

Thanks
    Everyone hates lawyers until they need one... As far as doing it for the money goes of course they are it's their job... Hoe many of you complaining about lawyers go into work everyday without receiving a pay check?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtb29er View Post
    We should sue because Steve Jobs' arrogance is reaching galactic proportions. He needs to understand that we are the consumers, and he has to answer to us for his incompetence, greed, and rudeness. It isn't about money.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast