Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi 4.0 Released with All New Features

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    If this community wants to stick to apps from just hobbyist devs then expect little support and updates in their free time (ever wonder why many of the cool apps over years have died and gone away?). The devs that can make a living at developing for the iPhone are going to make better apps because they will be more inclined to make them better and develop new tweaks and mods. Many of the awesome apps that have been released on rock and in the cydia store most likely would not have been made if there wasn't some financial incentive.

This app is a pricey app, no doubt about it. But I can't believe people can't see that it's worth every penny of it. Charging for updates with added features is a great business model. The dev has incentive to add more features and improve on old ones while the customer gets a great product with excellent support.
    The Dev Team sure seems to be putting out quality products with constant upgrades without requiring a single cent from the users, no?

Mind you, I have no issue paying for this upgrade as I'll be using it daily when I get my iPad in July. I just thought I'd play devil's advocate for a moment.

is anyone else is experiencing any issues with automatically connecting to wi-fi networks after installing and using MyWi 4.0?

Even with the latest version (4.0.99), after using MyWi, my iPhone won't automatically connect to my home network when I enable wi-fi unless I reboot it on airplane mode.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    The Dev Team sure seems to be putting out quality products with constant upgrades without requiring a single cent from the users, no?
    Yes and they are hobbyist. They all have 40+ hour jobs and don't have a lot of time to find exploits and develop for the phone. 3GS new bootrom users would not agree with your constant upgrades comments. Where would we be if comex hadn't decided to join the iPhone scene from the Wii scene? If they could make a living at it and did it full time, we would have had less of these tethered jailbreaks, and non-existent jailbreaks for some firmwares and devices.

So after re-setting my correct APN, I had to uninstall MyWi, then reboot. Then reinstall MyWi, then reboot. Now MyWi is working as expected all is well. Thanks psuskeels! I will be happily paying the $9.99 to upgrade from MyWi 3 - making my wifi iPad fully mobile - this is a no brainer that its worth it.

FWIW, after testing MyWi and then turning it off, my phone auto connected to my work's wifi as expected.

The update seems to work, I had done a full restore/new phone when I got home, and noticed the update while I was waiting. Did a fresh redsnow and reinstalled. All seems well for now, my ipad is happy and so is my macbook. Much thanks psuskeels.

I have some technical questions about this app before I consider to buy it.

1. Does mywi only support ad-hoc networks or can it run like a wireless access point? <-- My work laptop is on a doman and adhoc networks are turned off. I have no way to enable it because my user privilege is not high enough. It is a real pain when I travel sometimes.

2. Can I have my iPhone connected to a wireless network and still do a wireless hotspot and usb tethered at the same time through the wireless connection on the iphone (not 3g)? Given that my laptop can't connect to ad-hoc networks I might need to usb tether it. If I am at a hotel overseas (no cell reception) that only allows one mac address how can I make my laptop, ipad (wifi only), and phone all on the internet at the same time through the wifi connection given my laptop can't connect to ad-hoc networks?

3. How much is performance affected if I tether to the iPhone and connect through the iPhone's wifi as opposed to connecting my computer directly through the wifi. I ask this because of the scenario where you have no cell phone reception and the hotel only allows one mac address.

^I haven't tried tethering but I can tell you that mywi acts like a wireless hotspot no adhoc.

I also think its not right to charge say full price to current licensed users. Maybe they could do a half price for existing licensed users I would pay for that. But not the full amount when all I really need to do is downgrade. I pay for my junk. College Student here who pays for stuff... what.. no way... uhh yes way. Paid for Adobe CS5 the day it came out.

Thanks

it is half price for existing users

^
    $10 = half of $20

Theme Creator
    Thanks

The problem is most of the children (teenagers and college kids) here will complain no matter what. They see no value in anything because they have been having their needs made for them for the past 20 years. They complained when this app came out for 3.0 and was $10. People were shocked. They were used to free cydia apps like winterboard and sbsettings. If this community wants to stick to apps from just hobbyist devs then expect little support and updates in their free time (ever wonder why many of the cool apps over years have died and gone away?). The devs that can make a living at developing for the iPhone are going to make better apps because they will be more inclined to make them better and develop new tweaks and mods. Many of the awesome apps that have been released on rock and in the cydia store most likely would not have been made if there wasn't some financial incentive.

This app is a pricey app, no doubt about it. But I can't believe people can't see that it's worth every penny of it. Charging for updates with added features is a great business model. The dev has incentive to add more features and improve on old ones while the customer gets a great product with excellent support.
    Let me get one thing out of the way before I say anything else... the app IS worth $20. It is a great app. I agree that there needs to be a financial incentive if you expect the apps to be great. That being said, I have a few things to say about the price issue, and the whole paying for good apps argument as well...

There is quite a bit of ******** about the price, and in my opinion, some of it (not all) is warranted. Word it however you like "it will work on the version you bought it on (3.x), it still works on 3.x", etc... It is crap that someone buys an app, only to have it become useless to them in just a few months. The argument that you will always be able to use it in 3.x is crap since at some point in the not too distant future you will pretty much HAVE to upgrade to 4.0. As anyone who has tried to stay behind knows, at some point, pretty much all of the apps out there will stop supporting 3.x...not to mention that new apps will only work on 4.0 and newer. So you ARE screwed, if you think that you are just going to stick with the one you paid for.

If the dev is going to charge for an update, then for GOD sake, please let a buyer know ahead of time! Don't let customers buy your product without letting them know that you will NOT be updating (rewriting it, or whatever the hell you want to call it) for free...EVEN AS YOU ARE WORKING ON IT FOR MONTHS! I mean really, if you knew months ago when you had to rewrite the app, that you weren't going to do it for free, then why mislead (yes it's misleading!) your customers into thinking that they were paying for something that would work for some time? Why not at least say "Hey, thank you for your interest in my work, but before buying this version, be aware that it will not be compatible with 4.0. A new version is in the works, and will cost you double the current price, but will come with new features." the dev could have used some of the time he has saved by not supporting his other paid apps (Intelliladial, Intelliscreen) to post that little blurb in the purchase section of MYWI! And that brings me to your next point...apps fallin to the way side due to lack of support. I agree with you that without some form of incentive, it is likely that some apps are not going to continue to be supported by the devs. But once again, that being said, I think it's bullsh!t when you pay for an app (and it's a decent price paid for the app) and still the dev simply decides to move on to bigger and better things...and still has the app for sale, even though he no longer supports it!!! And in case your wondering, the app is Intelliscreen (for one), and the developer is none other that you know who...Psuskeels himself So the argument that "you get what you pay for, or that you have to pay if you expect the dev to continue to support it" doesn't entirely work for me here.

And for those who keep using the argument " If you can afford the phone, you can afford the upgrades", please please just shut up! Just because you pony up for the phone, the plan, the case to protect it, and a few nice apps to enjoy on the phone, does not mean that we are all able to afford all of the extra costs that keep adding up. I don't drink coffee or alcohol, I don't eat at MCdonalds, and I don't have money burning a hole in my pocket! In a forum, you should be able to express your opinion about the cost of something without being called names. As I have stated before, everything has a price that people are willing to pay in order to have it...for some, $20 is too much. For others, it is a bargain. Let people say how they feel about it, and leave it at that.

I for one will not pay the $20 price until I know for sure it works (another issue I have with this dev), and I feel I will get my moneys worth out of it (I have only tethered a couple of time, and not for long at that). Thanks for listening to a long winded fan!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 1hihum For This Useful Post:

Masterz1337 (06-28-2010)

Well ok then I'm glad I'm not paying the full price heh heh

StealthBravo,

How I can pay for the No-Rock version and when will be available? I dont want to install ROCK.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1hihum View Post
    Thanks for listening to a long winded fan!
    You obviously have some issues with psuskeels. I don't use those other products so I can't speak about them. I can say that I have never had an issue with psuskeels. Everytime I PM, email, PM on irc, he is always very quick to address my concerns or help me if there was a problem.

I agree that maybe devs should put out disclaimers. But at the same time, I have to think how long do I really expect a dev to offer support and support on an app. For instance, if I were to purchase a $2 app back on 2.x, should it be expected that the dev upgrade and offer support for that $2 app til 5.x, 6.x, 7.x...? At what point should the consumer feel he/she got their moneys worth and be willing to pay for the next version. The guy has gone as far as giving you full credit for your original purchase towards the price of the new app.

Quote Originally Posted by rubenmer5 View Post
    StealthBravo,

How I can pay for the No-Rock version and when will be available? I dont want to install ROCK.
    I am not sure to be honest.
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 06-28-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

skeels (06-28-2010)

Yes it will.

AT&T charges $20 a month. I understand the price complaints but I use MyWi everyday and to me its worth every penny of $20. Even if I had to pay $20 a year for MyWi, I would be saving $220 a year plus get much more features. Not to mention, AT&T's tethering plan does not tether to the iPad so really I am saving another $30 a month or $360 a year. So $580 vs $20 hmmmmm

Stealth has this one dead on!! I bought my iPad WiFi only for because of this app alone. So to the $580 add another $200 or so for the device and the saving the additional data plan the 3G has.......$10 extra is chump change to me ( I have had this app for about 5-6 months).

I understand the complaints people have that just got this app but long term this is well worth the price.

Let me get one thing out of the way before I say anything else... the app IS worth $20. It is a great app. I agree that there needs to be a financial incentive if you expect the apps to be great. That being said, I have a few things to say about the price issue, and the whole paying for good apps argument as well...

There is quite a bit of ******** about the price, and in my opinion, some of it (not all) is warranted. Word it however you like "it will work on the version you bought it on (3.x), it still works on 3.x", etc... It is crap that someone buys an app, only to have it become useless to them in just a few months. The argument that you will always be able to use it in 3.x is crap since at some point in the not too distant future you will pretty much HAVE to upgrade to 4.0. As anyone who has tried to stay behind knows, at some point, pretty much all of the apps out there will stop supporting 3.x...not to mention that new apps will only work on 4.0 and newer. So you ARE screwed, if you think that you are just going to stick with the one you paid for.

If the dev is going to charge for an update, then for GOD sake, please let a buyer know ahead of time! Don't let customers buy your product without letting them know that you will NOT be updating (rewriting it, or whatever the hell you want to call it) for free...EVEN AS YOU ARE WORKING ON IT FOR MONTHS! I mean really, if you knew months ago when you had to rewrite the app, that you weren't going to do it for free, then why mislead (yes it's misleading!) your customers into thinking that they were paying for something that would work for some time? Why not at least say "Hey, thank you for your interest in my work, but before buying this version, be aware that it will not be compatible with 4.0. A new version is in the works, and will cost you double the current price, but will come with new features." the dev could have used some of the time he has saved by not supporting his other paid apps (Intelliladial, Intelliscreen) to post that little blurb in the purchase section of MYWI! And that brings me to your next point...apps fallin to the way side due to lack of support. I agree with you that without some form of incentive, it is likely that some apps are not going to continue to be supported by the devs. But once again, that being said, I think it's bullsh!t when you pay for an app (and it's a decent price paid for the app) and still the dev simply decides to move on to bigger and better things...and still has the app for sale, even though he no longer supports it!!! And in case your wondering, the app is Intelliscreen (for one), and the developer is none other that you know who...Psuskeels himself So the argument that "you get what you pay for, or that you have to pay if you expect the dev to continue to support it" doesn't entirely work for me here.

And for those who keep using the argument " If you can afford the phone, you can afford the upgrades", please please just shut up! Just because you pony up for the phone, the plan, the case to protect it, and a few nice apps to enjoy on the phone, does not mean that we are all able to afford all of the extra costs that keep adding up. I don't drink coffee or alcohol, I don't eat at MCdonalds, and I don't have money burning a hole in my pocket! In a forum, you should be able to express your opinion about the cost of something without being called names. As I have stated before, everything has a price that people are willing to pay in order to have it...for some, $20 is too much. For others, it is a bargain. Let people say how they feel about it, and leave it at that.

I for one will not pay the $20 price until I know for sure it works (another issue I have with this dev), and I feel I will get my moneys worth out of it (I have only tethered a couple of time, and not for long at that). Thanks for listening to a long winded fan!

Another great point.

I may be wrong with my next statement but maybe the differences iOS 4 brought caused a complete re-write of the original app which justified the upgrade charge. At the end of the day the creator of this app is a single person or at best a handful of people trying to make a buck. If you were in their shoes you would do the same thing, we all would, it's called business. I propose a price, you decide the value and worth to determine if you want to pay or not. No one is being forced to upgrade or buy for the first time. IMO, it is worth every dime if it works as advertised.

I have seen a lot of people saying that everything is not working properly yet. I too will be holding off buying this upgrade, for me, until I see more success stories.
    Last edited by ninthchamber99; 06-28-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Once is an accident, Twice is a trend, Three times is evidence."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ninthchamber99 For This Useful Post:

skeels (06-28-2010)

Does anyone know why the bridging in wifi hotspots can only be done via USB?

Yes to upgrade your license to the new 4.0 version
    Are you kidding me? I paid for the app so why should I have to pay them again? I'm glad my iPhone is still on 3.1.2. I know if I do upgrade that I will not be paying for any upgrade that’s for sure. Why can’t they leave all the additional features in the original version and make it compatible with 4.0 and then have 2 versions of MyWi that way we have a choice on whether to upgrade or not? I think if the original version does not work with iOS4 then users who can’t use the application should be issued a refund. I could care less about the added features because it has always worked just fine for me. I am beginning to love my Nexus One more and more.
    Last edited by GrandMstrBud; 06-28-2010 at 10:30 PM.

i have it installed. works fine on my 3G. used it for about an hour.

kept working as I talked on the phone for about 20 minutes.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

You obviously have some issues with psuskeels. I don't use those other products so I can't speak about them. I can say that I have never had an issue with psuskeels. Everytime I PM, email, PM on irc, he is always very quick to address my concerns or help me if there was a problem.

I agree that maybe devs should put out disclaimers. But at the same time, I have to think how long do I really expect a dev to offer support and support on an app. For instance, if I were to purchase a $2 app back on 2.x, should it be expected that the dev upgrade and offer support for that $2 app til 5.x, 6.x, 7.x...? At what point should the consumer feel he/she got their moneys worth and be willing to pay for the next version. The guy has gone as far as giving you full credit for your original purchase towards the price of the new app.
    Well Stealth, given your presence and rank (for lack of a better word) I would expect that he would get right back to you. But take a gander at the discussion sections of any of the products that he sells. In my opinion, if you are still selling it, then you should still be supporting it...period! The only thing getting action from him is Rock. I couldn't even begin to tell you the last time he answered even a single question there (though he did make time to poke at the competition in the Lock info discussion, and throw a bone of hope to his customers about the slim hope of an update). I have sent him messages before, with zero results, others have sent messages with zero results. These are people who have paid good money for a product (I mean sh1t, he even has a discussion section dedicated to the app, I would assume that is why it is there) and yet, there is zero support. So yes, i have issue with someone asking for a fairly high price (relevant to the app market) for a product, or worse multiple products, and then not follow through with even basic customer support. I will admit, given his track record, I have a harder time justifying buying his products. If you are a dev, and you decide not to support a product anymore, then tell people that, or better yet, sell/give it to someone who is willing to support/develop it! And if you are still planning to support/develop it, then take two minutes, and tell people!

Sorry for the rant, but I think that customer service is a part of the package...especially when you want to charge a premium price for your products.

1hihum: IntelliScreen support for 4.0 actually has and continues in development (there are a lot of changes in 4.0 as you can imagine. There's a shared new component in MyWi that's also required for IntelliScreen (IntelliStatusBarIcons). I would love to dedicate the time and rewrite IntelliScreen - and I'll let you know that when that happens - there will be an upgrade fee. However, there will be an update (not upgrade - there's a difference) for IntelliScreen current users (free) to support 4.0. That being said - I absolutely understand your concerns. Ie - "does it work". This is why there's a free trial- we don't want any user to have buyers remorse. 10 days gives you enough time to decide if you love - if not - leave it .

My personal opinion on does this work - if it didn't - you'd get a lot less messages about pricing and more on it doesn't work (trust me - all devs know this too well - there are always bugs . We spent a very large amount of time ensuring many error cases were handled. There was one we missed today - which was certain international users with certain data configurations (and we're deeply sorry - we are, however, happy we could fix it within a few hours).

All: Obviously everyone has put a lot of thought into today's comments. I think the take home is that everyone enjoys the product. We really appreciate your opinions and feedback on MyWi 4.0. Thanks again for all the interest!
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to skeels For This Useful Post:

1hihum (06-28-2010)

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast