+ Reply
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi 4.0 Released with All New Features

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Definitely getting this as soon as I get a iphone 4. MyWi owns at&t's tethering plan so ya I really couldn't care less how much the thing cost. It could
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Definitely getting this as soon as I get a iphone 4. MyWi owns at&t's tethering plan so ya I really couldn't care less how much the thing cost. It could cost $50 and I'd probably still buy it because that's the cost of less then 3 months of at&t's tethering plan. It's a win win situation I'm getting better wifi tethering and technically saving money by not paying at&t for tethering every single month.

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    I completely agree that the developer has spent long and hard hours and when the iPhone 4 jailbreak comes out this will be the first app I put on my phone with the 9.99 update. On the other hand, I already purchased this app so if I was fine with what the old app that was 9.99 offered, I should be able to keep this. This update is forcing people who already purchased it to either update for another 10 or throw away the 10 you already paid. That's not fair. It should be a separate application that you get a discount on if you own the older version.
    Why do you want both of them? What's the point in owning the old version and the new one? Does this magically make the new one better by combining the two versions together to make a super version? Seems to me you're just complaining for no reason.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't believe there's an upgrade fee for this app. Geez....

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is for anyone that lost 3G connection or other connection after installing mywi 4.0, You need to open "rock" which came with the install. After that you will see your AT&T and 3G connection back to normal.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just wish I could get it work properly on my 3G, I paid based on the performance of the previous version, worked so flawlessly I figured this would be the same or better... I am grandfathered into my "unlimited" on my old 3g still, so I can make good use of this software, with my iPad or my laptop. I'm actually waiting till later this year to upgrade the phone so I can get it cheaper. And that will mean even longer I keep my data plan.

Your data plan rates DON'T change for those of us who have had the unlimited data plan before June 7 2010 will continue to have only those people getting a data plan after that date will be limited

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So here's my question. I'm highly considering this app but i'm concerned that AT&T will see me tethering and charge me or cut off my service. I know so far this hasn't been an issue. Since AT&T now sells tethering how likely is this to become an issue? Is it technically possible for them to tell I'm tethering?

What's Jailbreak? iScream4iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Now if everybody is done complaining about the price. Has anybody had a issue with getting the Mywi 4.0 to work. Everytime I turned it on I get a message saying " no data connection" and it does the same thing over and over again. Do anybody know a fix for this? and also do the iphone have to be unlock? mines is JB'in.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i think that the developer is not responsible for updating his product each time a new OS comes out.... and the pricing is more about market forces than ethics....companies work towards keeping customers happy mostly because its good for the business ultimately

would have been nice if i could keep the old myWi on an iOS4 device(i reely dont care as much about the new features) but if i cant , a charge of 5$ would still not pinch, but 10 $ !! ehh, we are losing goodwil here; even tho i think most users would still pay but quite a few would grumble and be unforgiving if there are any issues with the apps working etc

for new mywi 4 downloaders,15 seems a payable amount, 20 just has a 'major purchase' feel to it .in my opinion,even in the short term, the number of customers who buy it for would be sig higher than those who buy at a price of 20 n fetch the developers more profit.

We dont have any hard data in terms of actual user numbers,the projected iphone sales etc for us to make any calculations, neither do we know what the developers future plans are and purely from a business perspective , how much is customer goodwill of value to them.

one last thing, :-),the trial version does not necessarily have to be free; it wont be unreasonable to charge 99 cents for that 10 day trial of tethering
    Last edited by nofixedadderess; 06-28-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sorry, I gotta agree about the pricing, I already payed for this app, and now you guys are basically saying "Pay for it again or you can't use it anymore, and we keep your $10." I'm sure that's not how you thought of this, but that's the impression most people I feel are getting. Maybe the MyWi 3.0 could be updated for iOS4, and then this new one can be the 20$ "pro" version? I think that would get rid of most complaints.I recently bought MyWi when the iPad wifi came out, only 3 months ago, and I'd bet that many people bought it then too, and that's probably why so many of us have a sour taste in our mouths from this.

I love to stand by the developers, you guys are the reason why I jailbreak and have made a great phone into a wonderful phone, but I do feel you are wronging us with this new pricing.
    Last edited by Masterz1337; 06-28-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moto_noob View Post
    This is for anyone that lost 3G connection or other connection after installing mywi 4.0, You need to open "rock" which came with the install. After that you will see your AT&T and 3G connection back to normal.
    Bugs and issues like this are why you keep Rock off your phone at all costs. And don't think you can remove all the extension simply by uninstalling it - they stay there and continue to mess up your phone. I dunno, such a great product but at such a greedy price, and on such a bad platform...

Quote Originally Posted by guilou0875 View Post
    witching back to PDAnet, it works just fine with IOS 4 no F so called upgrade or extra $$$ are required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hmm, good point, I already have PDAnet, gonna try that!

I just thought of something - not saying it happened, but I do wonder... PDAnet works on 4.0 problem. Is it possible that MyWi 3.x could have worked just fine on 4.0 but the dev crippled it in an update in order to sell the new version? Just an off-the-cuff thought? Anyone try one of the previous version of MyWi to see if it works???
    Last edited by edge777; 06-28-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

lies
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 06-28-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

@guilou0875

You need to slow your roll or I will slow it for you. k?

Stop with the crack app talk and the smearing of the dev.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

mortopher (06-28-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moto_noob View Post
    Yup didn't work. Calling and texting works just as normal. Just my data connection is more than absent. Opened rock again w/o connection and still not working even after reboot.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kagehito54 View Post
    Yup didn't work. Calling and texting works just as normal. Just my data connection is more than absent. Opened rock again w/o connection and still not working even after reboot.
    Say no to Rock. Friends don't let friends install Rock on their iPhones...

iPhone? More like MyPhone duceduc's Avatar
    Thanks

It is a bit pricey. I will stick to my 3.1.2 firmware for now since I have native tethering working.

Thanks
    What a bunch of ungrateful b*****s!! Keep up the good work devs!
    Maybe you people complaining about the extra charge can ask your boss at Burger King for an extra shift! LOL
    Last edited by gmacdo1; 06-28-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: bad word--lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

*steps back in* hold up..does ANYONE has mywi 4.0 actually working??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

You are paying for the support for 4.0 to the last version of 4.x and the dev already stated if 5.0 does not change the APIs drastically like 4.0 did then it will be supported into 5.0.

Also desktop applications do this all the time. I know of several applications that when they move to a *.0 version they charge an upgrade fee. Why should a mobile device be any different. There are many appstore apps that bascially charge you an upgrade fee by making you pay for addons in order to use the app further.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

gmacdo1 (06-28-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

CAnt wait for the JB for Iphone 4
    Last edited by romeoz; 06-28-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't purchased it yet, so the "upgrade price" doesn't hit me so bad. I think the problem most people have with it is the fact that you have to pay for updates, something that most app makers don't do. I suppose you can argue that tethering from ATT will cost more, but that is a flawed argument in itself. Tethering is a BS price, but just because a cheaper alternative is given doesn't necessarily make that alternative an acceptable one. For people that paid for it already I personally think it should be a free update. Seeing that they are charging for updates I am a bit leery on actually paying for this app now... don't really want them to turn around and require ANOTHER update. Clearly they are taking advantage of ATT's tethering plans rolling out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post

Also desktop applications do this all the time. I know of several applications that when they move to a *.0 version they charge an upgrade fee. Why should a mobile device be any different. There are many appstore apps that bascially charge you an upgrade fee by making you pay for addons in order to use the app further.
    And that is BS too. The notion that "everyone does it" doesn't make this pill and easier one to swallow...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 06-28-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i think the majority hear has voiced their opinion that charging for an already purchased app for an "upgrade" is criminal and I agree 100%. ESPECIALLY at this price. Now, with that being said, sure its cheaper than purchasing an ATT data tethering plan..of course it is because otherwise there would be no reason for mywi to exist nor would we be having this forum discussion but that's simply not the point.

The point is that people have already purchased this app but are being charged to "upgrade" to another version because the old version DOES NOT WORK on the new firmware. That, my friends, is not right. Furthermore the excuse that your already paid money is being credited to 4.0's purchase is purely BS. Dont believe me? Ask for a refund for 3.X's purchase. Let me know how THAT works out.
    Last edited by jayteez; 06-28-2010 at 05:24 PM.