+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: False Hopes Pinned to Rumored iPhone 4 Software Update?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
MMi has been privy to no shortage of "tips" this weekend that a rumored iOS 4 update may be released as early as Monday morning to address the rampant iPhone
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default False Hopes Pinned to Rumored iPhone 4 Software Update?

MMi has been privy to no shortage of "tips" this weekend that a rumored iOS 4 update may be released as early as Monday morning to address the rampant iPhone 4 antenna issues. Given the influx of complaints that have pelted both Apple and the blogosphere about this peculiar and persistent reception bug, it makes sense for Apple to address the matter. Of course, Apple already did. It's just that few seem to find the response to be adequate.

On Thursday evening, Apple spoke to the nagging antenna glitch by taking a general swipe at all cell phones. "This is a fact of life for every wireless phone," the company said. "Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas."

But somewhere between then and now, a rumor surfaced that Apple will release an update early Monday to help repair the problem. The only concern - and this isn't news to anyone - is that the "Death Grip" solution isn't likely going to be software-based. And for this reason, it may be safe to conclude that Apple isn't going to release an update tailored to address the reception debacle.

Since pre-orders began, Apple has sold an estimated 1.5 million iPhone 4s. That figure could reach two million by the end of this month. And as reception complaints turn up more frequently as the days pass, Apple is going to have a remarkably difficult time pacifying customers with a simple statement that "all mobile phones" have similar reception issues when held improperly.

Of course, since last Thursday we've heard reports of everything from massive recalls and bad batches to software fixes and free bumpers for all. At this point, however, it isn't clear to anyone what Apple's next step will be. But Apple will soon have to make a next step. Because the escalating frustration with the iPhone 4's antenna glitch has become far too widespread to sweep beneath Cupertino's carpet much longer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (06-27-2010)

Thanks

They will release a software update that does nothing but replaces the bars in the top left with a static image of 5 bars. Inta-fix.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chase817 For This Useful Post:

agentfubu (06-27-2010), Centauri (06-27-2010), darwina (06-28-2010), gtafreek2 (06-27-2010), Spy3D (06-27-2010)

Thanks

^^ haha lmao

Thanks

the earlier the better, because there is a good chance thats when the jailbreak will come out
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

Steve says: LOOK YOU ALWAYS HAVE 5 BARS HAPPY NOW?!
    Customer: But i don't even have my sim in?!
    Last edited by iPhoenix3g; 06-27-2010 at 11:15 AM.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to iPhoenix3g For This Useful Post:

awesomeone (06-27-2010), Infomaniac (06-27-2010), kingbijan (06-27-2010), magma9495 (06-27-2010), Nick Hesson (06-27-2010), rumcajs (06-27-2010), zeromx69 (06-27-2010)

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

@ Chase 817 ... You just made my day ... That was Effin Hilarious !!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase817 View Post
    They will release a software update that does nothing but replaces the bars in the top left with a static image of 5 bars. Inta-fix.
    I was thinking the same. Some sort of software code to show

IF no service = 5 bars
    IF below 3 bars show 5 bars
    IF outter casing touced still show 5 bars

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They're only going to invite more bad press by spoofing bars. I think they're well aware of that.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I swear the one time Apple decides to make their own iPhone case is when the iPhone has some problem that only their case can fix. I have two cases, neither fix this problem. Honestly this is not suspicious to anyone? They conveniently make a case that gets them extra $$?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzabrick View Post
    They're only going to invite more bad press by spoofing bars. I think they're well aware of that.

Yes but this will move the focus from Apple to network providers

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't think it's possible for software to remove the issue. I mean it's about the freakin reception holding the antenna, I don't see how it can be anything other than hardware.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Thanks
    I asked the same question, but an apple rep told me that how it handles antennae voltages could be adjusted or something like that, as well as how it handles signal handoff between towers. but whatdoIknow?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Actually, the reception issue stems from a bug in iOS 4 and can be observed on the 3G and the 3GS

That iOS 4 reception issue is looking more and more like a software bug Boy Genius Report

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    @Chase817 that is some funny ****... I was thinking if they problem is hardware related... How can it be fix with a software update... That's against all laws of Technology...IJS

Green Apple
    Thanks

I agree with Matt on this. If its a reception problem based by holding the phone how can the software fix this? It seems like it is more of the design of the antenna receptor inside the iPhone

Green Apple
    Thanks

*sighs... it's a software issue, iOS4 on the 3GS causes the same thing to happen, there are youtube videos of this everywhere,

and Apple would never "spoof" bars, when a simple field test would tell the truth every time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@ Luppin this is not a software issue, it's bridging of antenna. I can NOT replicate this issue on my 3GS, nor can many others on their 3G/3GS. If the problem does at all exist in 3g/3gs it's much more rare and harder to replicate. In phone 4 this is easy to replicate everybody is experiencing the problem. It is not just bars going down, it's lost reception and dropped calls while holding the phone, big problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    I swear the one time Apple decides to make their own iPhone case is when the iPhone has some problem that only their case can fix. I have two cases, neither fix this problem. Honestly this is not suspicious to anyone? They conveniently make a case that gets them extra $$?
    I was thinking the same thing, before the phone was released.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UKROB88 View Post
    @ Luppin this is not a software issue, it's bridging of antenna. I can NOT replicate this issue on my 3GS, nor can many others on their 3G/3GS. If the problem does at all exist in 3g/3gs it's much more rare and harder to replicate. In phone 4 this is easy to replicate everybody is experiencing the problem. It is not just bars going down, it's lost reception and dropped calls while holding the phone, big problem.
    just as others can NOT replicate the issue on their iPhone 4's there are a series of variables involved, and it was just hardware, then ALL phones would naturally be affected.
    Please, please, please, do a little research people. Some people actually take these posts at face value and regurgitate them in other places, spreading disinformation

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXpGGrB_hg]YouTube - ios4 bug? Signal dropped on iphone 3gs but also went back up when called[/ame]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Antenna issue
    I think the antenna issue is more than a software problem. Every time the bars would go down on my phone due to me holding the antenna, my internet would slow down or stop.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast