Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: False Hopes Pinned to Rumored iPhone 4 Software Update?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicshockwave View Post
    I am a software engineer, and can say with 100% certainty that software can fix hardware issues.

It might mean the software cranks up the power to the antenna until it turns into a microwave and melts your brain, but as I always say, in code anything is posable.

Apple might not use software to fix this as the downsides to doing so might outweigh the benefits, but it is possible.
    Bye Bye battery...

Thanks

Thats a good one, they might even update a 3G to 4G signal lol.

LIke most people say thats a hardware issue not a software issue, s**t thats not good it sounds like a recall on the way if so its a big mess!

Great! a melted brain with a Iphone in hand.
    Last edited by smooth22; 06-27-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

As I posted in another thread, when I called Apple on the 25th about this issue, the girl I spoke with informed me that many people who had the 3GS who updated to iOS 4 were also calling in about their reception/bars issue. Unless that is not the case (and I know it is cause I know people who have 3GS who updated) then it's a software issue. You just have to wait for Steve Jobs to quit saying "don't hold it like that"...

On another note, I have noticed that the issue is not happening if I'm outside (even though I get full bars inside.) Who knows!
    Last edited by Dayvidpriddy; 06-27-2010 at 09:42 PM.

has anyone tried holding the phone at the top by the audio jack where the 2 antennas also connect. i dont have this issue as much as others, and i cant get it to happen every time, it has happened a few times, and i drop calls like there is no tomorrow, but is this problem also persistent if you hold the top of the phone by the audio jack where the antennas meet?

Thanks

LMAO "A melted brain holding an iphone in hand."

I am using the new speck candyshell and all problems r gone. not saying this case will fix the problem but i think that any good case will solve it, well at least for now.

I definately think it is actually software related.

It's a software based glitch which lags the rate the signal frequency is changed..

If you do the 'deathgrip' you will lose bars, keep your hand there... it changes frequency...then it goes back up to 5 bars after a few seconds.. I think a software update could stop this lag between the changing of frequencies so when you do the 'deathgrip' the drop in signal is not noticable.

P.S I tried the 'deathgrip' on my 3G before iOS4... Fine.. After iOS4.. Same symptoms as the iPhone4.

I dont have a iPhone 4 but a 3GS and I updated to ios4 and have not been losing reception or calls but have noticed that I have less bars and service cut in more areas. I only had 1 area before I knew I would lose service, now there are alot more and I am in the Edge network alot more. I never hit edge networks unless I went to a small area that AT&T didnt service and I was piggy backing on another tower. I want a iphone 4 but I am hurt and not working until I get better. That works out well cause I knew there would be bugs right off the bat. So anyone want my 3gs when the time comes, it will be for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    Actually, the reception issue stems from a bug in iOS 4 and can be observed on the 3G and the 3GS

That iOS 4 reception issue is looking more and more like a software bug Boy Genius Report
    That's great... I have both the 3gs running 4.0 and the 4g. I tested the 3gs without the case and your right it did the same thing as my 4g... I put my case on my phones and everything works great... Since I always have a case on my phone I don't run into these problems however, when they are ready to exchange my phone I'll gladly get a newer one

Happens on my 3gs now, but did not on 3.1.2, so i will have to side with software as i had the same experience with my friends 3g, and the model iphone 4 at apple.
    My Apple Products:
    iPhone 3GS (4.0 J/B)
    iPhone 4 (5.0 J/B)
    iPhone 4S (5.0 J/B)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345