+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: False Hopes Pinned to Rumored iPhone 4 Software Update?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 870 Posts

So apparently an Apple employee calling himself Alpha, decided to share with the world some of the things that Apple is doing with the new iPhone 4. We’re not talking about new features for the user, but new roadblocks for jailbreakers and unlockers.

Here’s the quote itself:

As far as Base Bands go it does not matter what baseband you TRY to get on the iPhone cause in the iOS4 there is a line of code we wrote that stands for OAU also known as “Over Air Updates”. How it works is every 7 to 14 days We (Apple) and AT&T send a message to your iPhone that gathers some data from your iPhone without you knowing and we see what is running, baseband and firmware. We then send a following message. “There are optional updates for your iPhone, Would you like to install them now?” two options “Yes” or “Later”. Those are what would would call “OPTIONAL UPDATES” Now there are things called “MANDATORY UPDATES”. They tend to work the same way, grab data from the iPhones sends it to AT&T and us then back to your iPhone with the message, “Your iPhone (name of iphone) must be updated to the current AT&T standards to run”, your only option is to “Accept” Now you can try to work your way around it until you get the second mandatory message again “You must plug iPhone into iTunes and update” If you don’t do this you will then receive no Signal from the network anymore and your iPhone will potentially lock up with no signs of use until you update your iPhone via iTunes. You all agreed to this terms and condition when you installed iTunes 9.2 and then again once you updated to iOS4.

With that being said go ahead try to unlock the iPhone it will only last 14 days max then you will have to break that update for that one week then again and again we currently have 6 months worth of updates for this iOS4. Apple and AT&T now have complete control over their iPhones and what their customers are putting on them without them knowing anything about it. Many of the people I work with don’t agree with this but even in our computers when people call in to Apple Care Support we can see if your iPhone is running a jailbreak and what baseband is currently on the iPhone. We have been instructed to not support any one with these things and possible void your warranty of the iPhone for Breaking a contract Rule.

So basically, he is saying that iOS 4 automatically pings Apple every 7 to 14 days with the baseband and firmware information and if it isn’t up to par it will essentially lock up the phone forcing you to update with iTunes (and lose your jailbreak). Now, I know for a fact that we have a perfectly good jailbreaking solution for the iPhone 3G running iOS 4 and it doesn’t relock so I’m wondering if this anti-jailbreaking solution is already circumvented, or if it just only applies to new iPhone 4′s?

Anyone know anything else about this? Does the Dev Team know about this?

Source via SFGate

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monchy36 View Post
    So apparently an Apple employee calling himself Alpha, decided to share with the world some of the things that Apple is doing with the new iPhone 4. We’re not talking about new features for the user, but new roadblocks for jailbreakers and unlockers.

Here’s the quote itself:

As far as Base Bands go it does not matter what baseband you TRY to get on the iPhone cause in the iOS4 there is a line of code we wrote that stands for OAU also known as “Over Air Updates”. How it works is every 7 to 14 days We (Apple) and AT&T send a message to your iPhone that gathers some data from your iPhone without you knowing and we see what is running, baseband and firmware. We then send a following message. “There are optional updates for your iPhone, Would you like to install them now?” two options “Yes” or “Later”. Those are what would would call “OPTIONAL UPDATES” Now there are things called “MANDATORY UPDATES”. They tend to work the same way, grab data from the iPhones sends it to AT&T and us then back to your iPhone with the message, “Your iPhone (name of iphone) must be updated to the current AT&T standards to run”, your only option is to “Accept” Now you can try to work your way around it until you get the second mandatory message again “You must plug iPhone into iTunes and update” If you don’t do this you will then receive no Signal from the network anymore and your iPhone will potentially lock up with no signs of use until you update your iPhone via iTunes. You all agreed to this terms and condition when you installed iTunes 9.2 and then again once you updated to iOS4.

With that being said go ahead try to unlock the iPhone it will only last 14 days max then you will have to break that update for that one week then again and again we currently have 6 months worth of updates for this iOS4. Apple and AT&T now have complete control over their iPhones and what their customers are putting on them without them knowing anything about it. Many of the people I work with don’t agree with this but even in our computers when people call in to Apple Care Support we can see if your iPhone is running a jailbreak and what baseband is currently on the iPhone. We have been instructed to not support any one with these things and possible void your warranty of the iPhone for Breaking a contract Rule.

So basically, he is saying that iOS 4 automatically pings Apple every 7 to 14 days with the baseband and firmware information and if it isn’t up to par it will essentially lock up the phone forcing you to update with iTunes (and lose your jailbreak). Now, I know for a fact that we have a perfectly good jailbreaking solution for the iPhone 3G running iOS 4 and it doesn’t relock so I’m wondering if this anti-jailbreaking solution is already circumvented, or if it just only applies to new iPhone 4′s?

Anyone know anything else about this? Does the Dev Team know about this?

Source via SFGate
    First, your post has nothing to do with this thread. Second, it's all FUD.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

PS: Notice on 4.0 you cant add pictures to ur text messages, because u dont have the option. Now u mean as BIG of an update that 4.0 was. Apple was dumb enough to leave that important part out. WOW, just amazing.

Wow, your right, I just noticed that. I went to the photos to see if I can send as mms, and the only option I have is via email.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Well said sir. I do believe this is Software related.

What's even funnier is if Apple never claimed the steel wrap around the phone was designed for better reception/or related to reception. People would think it's just a software issue anyway.

Common folks.
    Steve Jobs live from WWDC 2010 -- Engadget

Check out Engadgets post at about 10:35AM and 10:36AM and tell me that the antenna has nothing to do with reception. Why do you think almost every radio type electronics has a antenna? Just for looks?

I love how people here just bash on each other with out concert prof.

Go checkout Steve Jobs keynote on apple.com under iphone and about time frame 00:32 to 00:35 Steve talks about the external antenna. Let me quote in his exact words " this is part of brilliant engineering. It uses the band as part of the antenna system "

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

PS: Notice on 4.0 you cant add pictures to ur text messages, because u dont have the option. Now u mean as BIG of an update that 4.0 was. Apple was dumb enough to leave that important part out. WOW, just amazing.

"Wow, your right, I just noticed that. I went to the photos to see if I can send as mms, and the only option I have is via email.....". If you go into "settings" and then "messages", you will need to turn mms on. It is defaulted at off.

^ sorry first time. Lol
    Last edited by joeynice; 06-27-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by propspinner8251 View Post

Wow, your right, I just noticed that. I went to the photos to see if I can send as mms, and the only option I have is via email.....

I don't know what you are talking about I can.

I can easily choose MMS.

Oh you updated I see forget the above then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zmanforever View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about I can.

I can easily choose MMS.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3770/photol.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    They are talking about the iPhone 3G. I just checked my out dated iPhone 3G and there is no options for for MMS.

Thanks

He must have it turned off in settings...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    They are talking about the iPhone 3G. I just checked my out dated iPhone 3G and there is no options for for MMS.

Quote Originally Posted by joeynice View Post

"Wow, your right, I just noticed that. I went to the photos to see if I can send as mms, and the only option I have is via email.....". If you go into "settings" and then "messages", you will need to turn mms on. It is defaulted at off.

^ sorry first time. Lol
    Try the BOLD see if that works; give thanks to joeynice if it works.

Thanks

There is no option in settings - message on iPhone 3G. If yours shows it post a picture.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds View Post
    I was thinking the same. Some sort of software code to show

IF no service = 5 bars
    IF below 3 bars show 5 bars
    IF outter casing touced still show 5 bars
    haha

ELSE IF

{
    show 5 bars;
    }

END

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have a 3gs with 4.0 installed and I dont have that in settings. I went to settings/messages/ and all I have is Show Preview, Repeat Alert, and Character count.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails False Hopes Pinned to Rumored iPhone 4 Software Update?-img_0463-1-.png  

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szfebje View Post
    *sighs... a small company called NASA fixes hardware problems with software all the time, as they don't always have physical access to satellites, and even if parts of the equipment are destroyed, software updates can restore some of the lost functionality.

People who have no idea of how software and hardware interact, shouldn't comment on it.
    You're right. Software controls hardware.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

my question is about the infrared led that turns the display off when it's next to your head , Any idea when they hell they are gonna fix that , my fat *** head keeps hitting the mute button when the screen turns back on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    Apple has been doing this since day one, none of you should be surprised.

I'm genuinely surprised they didnt charge for the update like they did in moving from 1.x to 2.0.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szfebje View Post
    People who have no idea of how software and hardware interact, shouldn't comment on it.
    I am a software engineer, and can say with 100% certainty that software can fix hardware issues.

It might mean the software cranks up the power to the antenna until it turns into a microwave and melts your brain, but as I always say, in code anything is posable.

Apple might not use software to fix this as the downsides to doing so might outweigh the benefits, but it is possible.
    "What do you want me to do? I'm sorry"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicshockwave For This Useful Post:

zmanforever (06-27-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomicshockwave View Post
    I am a software engineer, and can say with 100% certainty that software can fix hardware issues.

It might mean the software cranks up the power to the antenna until it turns into a microwave and melts your brain, but as I always say, in code anything is posable.

Apple might not use software to fix this as the downsides to doing so might outweigh the benefits, but it is possible.
    Cool makes sense and finally someone who knows what they are posting about.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@ Propspinner8251 I didn't have the option in settings either after updating to iOS 4.0 from 3.1.3 jailbroken with spirit so I decided to do a full restore without backing up and now it's there

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sparawan View Post
    The only thing an update will do is update ur baseband. Bye bye unlock. But apple my reception still sucks. "we tried" is all they're gonna say
    I have not noticed anything on my 3GS with 3.1.2 on it. My modem baseband is 5.1.3 because I updated it to iOS4 but didn't like it so reverted back to 3.1.2. I have not noticed a thing on my 3GS as far as reception goes and I even tried covering up with both hands so hopefully it's software issue but I would also bet that they update the baseband and patch the exploit so yep by by unlock. But who knows, time will tell.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really hope if Apple bring out a new update then the jailbreak comes out after if so people who havent managed to buy their iPhone can jailbreak it when they do!! Please hold off on the release till after the update.