Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: False Hopes Pinned to Rumored iPhone 4 Software Update?

How can software fix poor placement of antennas... And please people stop thinking YouTube is a good source of info... If you haven't actually tried to replecate the problem on the 3gs or 3g then stop using freaking YouTube as a source of your info.

@szfebje I'm not spreading disinformation and HAVE done my research. The majority have been able to replicate the issue on iPhone 4. I have seen very little amount of people that said they couldn't replicate it, and often wrote back posting at a later date they were incorrect an actually can reproduce the problem.
    I have an iPhone 3GS, held it exactly like in that video you posted. Bars stayed at full, zero drop in reception. Like I said before if it does at all exist in some 3g/3gs, they are bad models and/or it's
    much harder to replicate because they don't have an external antenna!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UKROB86 View Post
    @szfebje I'm not spreading disinformation and HAVE done my research. The majority have been able to replicate the issue on iPhone 4. I have seen very little amount of people that said they couldn't replicate it, and often wrote back posting at a later date they were incorrect an actually can reproduce the problem.
    I have an iPhone 3GS, held it exactly like in that video you posted. Bars stayed at full, zero drop in reception. Like I said before if it does at all exist in some 3g/3gs, they are bad models and/or it's

First of all, this isn't twitter so it would make more sense and would be easier for a reader to follow if you just quoted the original post

Anyway, I can't replicate the Antenna-Bridging issue with my iPhone 4 but it does seem to me that every once in a while my bars will seem to dip a little low but I attribute this to the way the iPhone 4 is tuned to use the least-congested frequency, not exactly the strongest one.

Quote Originally Posted by UKROB86 View Post
    when you throw words around like "majority", you must certainly have a valid source for this statistic right? somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 million iPhone 4's have been sold in the past few days. "Majority" of 1 million would have caused a bit more coverage than what we've been seeing.. but you did your research, and who am I to challenge that? -_-

I didn't quote because I'm on my iPhone and the information is so readily available, I know quoting is important and usually I do in matters that are less observed, this is very wide spread, just look at the amount of people confirming the problem on all the iPhone related forums. don't have time right now to quote each website or each post, come on guys the info is there. I'll re-enter on this thread when I feel it's necessary, got too much to do right now. Cheers

even on my 3gs on 3.1.3 I can replicate this issue...having 5 bars strong I wrap my hand around the back of the phone, nice and snug, and as i watch the reception it drops to 2-3 bars, then 1, then sometimes to none.....i proceeded to try this 10 more times to make sure it wasnt just a fluke and sure enough it happened every time, and as soon as i remove my hand from around the phone, the reception returned..so Im not sure it can be related to just the iPhone4 or just the iOS 4 update even.....idk, never had a problem with my service ever, maybe 1-2 dropped calls from at&t in over 5 years, i don't use a damn death grip on my phone when i use it either though, lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szfebje View Post
    when you throw words around like "majority", you must certainly have a valid source for this statistic right? somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 million iPhone 4's have been sold in the past few days. "Majority" of 1 million would have caused a bit more coverage than what we've been seeing.. but you did your research, and who am I to challenge that? -_-
    Well said sir. I do believe this is Software related.

What's even funnier is if Apple never claimed the steel wrap around the phone was designed for better reception/or related to reception. People would think it's just a software issue anyway.

Common folks.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Thanks

I can get it to happen on my i4 and 3GS. Both of which are "hands on" examples. So I can only speak for me. But BOTH phones do it. I didn't notice this on my 3GS until I installed iOS4. So that being said, I'm leaning towards software.

Thanks

maybe the bars do go down...but i haven't had any issues with service so i could care less.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

Ok, ok, ok here's a true story. I happen to work at AT&T and the other day we had a customer come in that had no reception issue when he held the iphone 4 but did has the "issue" when his wife held it, everytime. Not sure what that means but thought it might shed some interesting light on the situation. My iPhone 4 seems to be showing no signs of the issue when anyone holds it so I guess I got lucky.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Definitely a software issue. The only change needed, and the only change to be found in iOS4.0.1 will be the addition of the following message (presented when bridging of the left antennae and base of the phone is made): "HEY DUMBA$$! MOVE YOUR F**KING HAND!"

A sixth bar should be glued to the outside of the phone and it will be awesome

Readers report that Apple's tech support forums originally confirmed that a iOS 4.0.1 software fix addressing the issue would ship early next week (as early as Monday), before the comments were subsequently taken down along with all the other related discussion about the matter.
    The fix is expected to address a issue in iOS 4 related to radio frequency calibration of the baseband. Readers who saw the original forum discussions say that the issue is believed to occur when switching frequencies; because the lag is allegedly not calibrated correctly, it results in the device reporting "no service" rather than switching to the frequency with the best signal to noise ratio.
    iOS 4 introduced some enhancements to how the baseband selects which frequencies to use, so it makes sense that the error may have crept into those changes. Additionally, this explains why iOS 4 has also caused similar problems for iPhone 3GS users.
    Most likely a combination of software and hardware related issues. Software update should fix most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Megahalo View Post
    Most likely a combination of software and hardware related issues. Software update should fix most of it.
    Link to source?!

Sorry, can't quote or edit cause I'm on my iPhone right now. Source is here:

Rumor: iOS 4.01 Update May Come Monday to Fix Reception Problems

Also, this email from Steve Jobs (depending on your interpretation) could support this rumor:

Steve Jobs On iPhone 4: "There Is No Reception Issue. Stay Tuned."
    Last edited by Megahalo; 06-27-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Did anyone think that apple may of know this would happen all along... cause they made something to fix it right from when it was shown at WWDC...

Apple iPhone 4 Bumper - Black - Apple Store (U.S.)

Come on people, Software updates can fix anything. Havent u seen the battery life increase from 3.0 to 4.0, LMAO. Remember Apple has always claimed battery life is increased. Now they are claiming software update can fix a reception issue, LMAO. I'm calling BS!!!!! again

PS: Apple, IF your software update can fix this reception issue. Can u please send this update to our government and see if you can fix it too.
    Last edited by l0k0; 06-27-2010 at 02:06 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to l0k0 For This Useful Post:

kingbijan (06-27-2010)

Thanks

So is it just me or does anyone else not see this as an issue at all? I don't have this problem. Then again, I don't grip my phone like I do my girlfriend's tits when she's butt naked. I mean seriously, don't hold the damn phone like that and you wont have the issue.
    Last edited by VBLUE42; 07-05-2010 at 07:20 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VBLUE42 For This Useful Post:

l0k0 (06-27-2010), Windmeel (06-28-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone HarlemState's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoenix3g View Post
    steve says: Look you always have 5 bars happy now?!
    Customer: But i don't even have my sim in?!
    lol

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast