+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Gets Congressional Inquiry on Apple's Privacy Policy

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple's recently revised privacy policy has raised some eyebrows, particularly the section about how the company - along with its partners and licensees - "may collect, use, and share precise
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Steve Jobs Gets Congressional Inquiry on Apple's Privacy Policy

Apple's recently revised privacy policy has raised some eyebrows, particularly the section about how the company - along with its partners and licensees - "may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device." Now, these newly carved terms of service regarding Apple's location-based features have attracted the attention of US lawmakers.

Congress - and, in particular, the co-chairmen of the House Bi-Partisan Privacy Caucus - wants an explanation from Apple. From MMi's threads to newspaper headlines, Congress has taken notice of the rampant concern that Apple is collecting (possibly with the intention of sharing) important user data like the geographic location of iPhone and iPad use. On Tuesday, Paul covered the update and noted that while Google has been skillful about collecting user data since the arrival of Android, Apple and its flurry of patents for location-based ad services suggests that Cupertino is actively ramping up the intensity with which private data could be exploited.

Although Steve Jobs has been known to respond to email on occasion, he is yet to respond to mine regarding this matter. It might, however, be in his best interest to respond to the letter he received Thursday from Reps. Edward J. Markey and Joe Barton, who stated: "Given the limited ability of Apple users to opt out of the revised policy and still be able to take advantage of the features of their Apple products, we are concerned about the impact the collection of such data could have on the privacy of Apple's customers."

To read the letter in its entirety, click here.

For now, Apple says users should have no privacy concerns because data is collected anonymously. But no shortage of analysts suggest that the data Apple is collecting could, in fact, be used to identify people "based on behavior patterns."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-26-2010), jvoytko1992 (06-26-2010), reaves205 (06-26-2010)

Thanks

kinda off topic, but does the capitol building look weird to you? I was there last week and it looks different than in the picture
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

Owned

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,075 Times in 799 Posts

I hope Appl£ and St£v£ get it in the *****

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Big brother versus Big brother???
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40]YouTube - Dramatic Look[/ame]
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

intersting to see if steve responds with a short email saying "were apple" lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Now I am concerned with this policy but the thing is if I see this being used solely between Apple and AT&T for the purpose of determining the areas where iPhone/iPads are being the most used so they can better upgrade their network then fine.

If they are collecting more information than the iPhone/iPad location and are also giving it to other companies besides AT&T then there are privacy issues really coming up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

am i the only one that doesnt really care if they do? i mean, big deal somebody knows your location..this only really matters if youre paranoid, or just committed a crime and dont want to get caught

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

*yawn*
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnr9412 View Post
    am i the only one that doesnt really care if they do? i mean, big deal somebody knows your location..this only really matters if youre paranoid, or just committed a crime and dont want to get caught
    The more you give the more they want. If you keep giving up more and more personal privacy rights the less you have. You will eventually have absolutely no privacy at all if you keep rolling over to companies or the government who would like nothing more than to completely control your life so you do what they want or buy what they want you to buy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
    The more you give the more they want. If you keep giving up more and more personal privacy rights the less you have. You will eventually have absolutely no privacy at all if you keep rolling over to companies or the government who would like nothing more than to completely control your life so you do what they want or buy what they want you to buy.
    sounds a little extreme to me

Thanks

Y does apple wanna know where i am?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    hahahahahahah that would be awesome!

Thanks

you made my day.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You should take a look and see what Google takes..you think your location is bad? ha...you haven't seen anything yet. Everyone looks at the negative...where's the Congressional hearing about how 20% of Android apps in the market steal your private information?

Thanks

Just hold your phone the so called wrong way "Apples words" and they won't be able to track you if you don't have reception.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Really? were? as is past tense Apple?

How about "we're Apple" - we are Apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    just hold your phone the so called wrong way "apples words" and they won't be able to track you if you don't have reception.
    hahaha

Thanks

sounds a little extreme to me
    I agree that that is a bit extreme but there are truths to it. Imagine in the near future, knowing your location is of the norm, and knowing what you look like is the next big thing. When you take a picture on your iPhone, Apple will be able to share your photos with advertisers. If your hair is getting too long, here's the nearest barber. Your teeth are a bit crooked and yellow, here's the nearest dentist. Ugly much? Here's the nearest plastic surgeon.

@ tudtran they do it so they can sell you stuff. Your location is actually a very valuable for advertisers, and you may already know that Apple is getting into the advertising business with iAds.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Why don't we get rid of search warrants too? After all, having your home inspected by the police only really matters if you're paranoid or just committed a crime.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

demize95 (06-26-2010), dsg (06-26-2010), iZoom (06-26-2010)