+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Numbers Are In: Apple Loyalty Driving iPhone 4 Sales

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It looks as though the iPhone 4 fan base has turned out in droves to upgrade to the iPhone 4. According to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, better than three-quarters
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default The Numbers Are In: Apple Loyalty Driving iPhone 4 Sales

It looks as though the iPhone 4 fan base has turned out in droves to upgrade to the iPhone 4. According to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, better than three-quarters of iPhone 4 sales were upgrades. While sales are sales nonetheless to Apple, the frequency with which iPhone customers stick with the product and upgrade to a new iPhone model every twelve to twenty-four months bodes well for the future of Apple's smartphone in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

"The bottom line: 77% of new iPhone buyers were existing iPhone owners (upgrades), compared to 56% in 2009 and 38% in 2008," says Munster. "Apple is effectively building a recurring revenue stream from a growing base of iPhone users that upgrade to the newest version every year or two." Especially interesting is that 54% of iPhone 4 buyers spent their hard earned cash on the 32GB model. Last year, only 43% were willing to spring for the high-end model. 28% of new iPhone 4 owners also own an iPad. And 16% of buyers switched carriers to AT&T, down from 28% in 2009.

Many analysts like Munster believe that Apple will sell between 1.0 million to 1.5 million new iPhones during the first three days of its availability (including preorders).

Similar surveys have yielded comparable results suggesting intense customer loyalty to Apple. A freshly released Oppenheimer study, however, shows that Google's Android is rapidly becoming a preferred alternative to the iPhone both to new smartphone buyers or current iPhone owners looking for a change of handsets. In previous surveys, it was always the BlackBerry cited as the most preferable alternative or "second choice."

Images via Fortune

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-25-2010), sunshinejenn03 (06-26-2010)

Thanks

Money Money Money....

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Plain and simple Apple has taken over the cell phone industry! Its the best phone out there and no one will ever beat it! Upgrading as well when the white one can be ordered!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 06-25-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: edit

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone giancarlo's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think those android google phones work better imo. Maybe it's because im used to the layout and locations for my iphone apps but I honestly think appl has a better user interface.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Plain and simple Apple has taken over the cell phone industry! Its the best phone out there and no one will ever beat it! Upgrading as well when the white one can be ordered!
    I as well think that the iPhone is the best handset out there as of now. But I'd be slightly careful to say that the iPhone will never be beat. I can see google taking over in the next 10 to 15 years.

Thanks

I will agree that the iPhone is the best overall smartphone on the market. Its not that it is the best featured phone but it is the best overall when you compare features, app availability, community, and the option of increasing the unofficial capabilities through the jailbreak process. Clearly the Android powered phones are great phones that have a place for others who don't buy into the whole iPhone acceptance. The fact of the matter is however, the whole cell phone world changed overnight on 06-29-2007 when the first iPhone was released. Regardless of what phone is in your pocket right now, it is an order of magnitude better phone then it would be right now if the iPhone did not exist. All around the cell phone world is a great world because of Apple's contributions. And that fact, makes the iPhone the best damn phone available.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VBLUE42 For This Useful Post:

focker (06-25-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

We (the community) bash Apple here and elsewhere, but we keep coming back..."Please, sir, may I have another"...Why? Because Apple = MAGIC.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree. Best ui hands down

Thanks

Fanboys stick with apple (iOS 4 autocorrected "fanboys" to "rabbits")

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Fanboys (iPhone 4 iOs4 Autocorrected "fanboys" to "gambit")

Sorry, it autocorrected to "gambits"
    Last edited by Doran; 06-25-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

People upgrade because we know the capabilities of the iphone and now it has what we where waiting for or what we asked for a 5mp camera, video calling and multitasking since the appear of the 3g one.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    talk about a fanboy....
    and to think it's a moderator too.
    whatever happened to unbiased staff

Thanks

Until you show me a phone that can jailbreak and run **********.

Until then Apple is #1 in my view.

Well I can not tell you what the app is so I fail.

Thanks

Well what I want is my iphonw running the android os. Cooler and I still get apple apps.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zmanforever View Post
    Until you show me a phone that can jailbreak and run **********.

Until then Apple is #1 in my view.

Well I can not tell you what the app is so I fail.
    If you're talking about a pirating app, yeah you cannot.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    If you're talking about a pirating app, yeah you cannot.
    Nobody said that sir

You won't see that from me again, unless it is censored profanity.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SchmilK's Avatar
    Thanks

If I didn't already have an unlimited data plan and had to get a new plan limited to 2gb/ month there's no eat in hell I would buy one either. Since Wednesday I have used 1.8gb streaming air video to/from work while driving 300 miles. Sure I could copy videos to the phone but it's much easier to stream. AT&T really screws up on the new customer data structures!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing the survey.

Apple have a superior product and consumer experience at the moment and continue to grow market share and have gone "from zero to hero" in 4 years helped by mobile replacement cycle of 2 years....

Of course the converse applies if a better product arrives "hero to zero" in 4 years is also possible..... just look and see what happened to Palm.

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

So demand for Apple products are going up, while willingness to go to AT&T (a network that has been unanimously rated poorly) is down. Not surprising. and 1.5 million iPhone 4's, in THREE DAYS that's insane! I wish I could be one of the 1.5 million
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SchmilK View Post
    If I didn't already have an unlimited data plan and had to get a new plan limited to 2gb/ month there's no eat in hell I would buy one either. Since Wednesday I have used 1.8gb streaming air video to/from work while driving 300 miles. Sure I could copy videos to the phone but it's much easier to stream. AT&T really screws up on the new customer data structures!!
    I agree whole heartedly. If they force us off of the unlimited plan to get the future 4G plans I'm looking elsewhere.
    1win.1 loss.1 draw