Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Defends iPhone 4 Reception with General Swipe at All Mobile Phones

Ok signal bars go down... But have any of you actually experienced dropped calls after holding the phone the "wrong" way?

Ive had the phone for two days now but havent really used it for calls so i havent tested if it drops calls due to that issue...

I've had no problems with my iPhone 4, but here in central California AT&T kicks ***. Blows verizon away

Quote Originally Posted by americaroma View Post
    Ok signal bars go down... But have any of you actually experienced dropped calls after holding the phone the "wrong" way?

Ive had the phone for two days now but havent really used it for calls so i havent tested if it drops calls due to that issue...
    Yes while speaking with the apple rep, he had to call me back.

I have never owned a phone that has a reception issue like this. That's including my 3 gs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

perfect display of arrogance by jobs and apple... typical.

hold it differently? WTF? how about don't make a piece of sh**!?

i can hold my blackberry a million different ways and it won't drop it's signal. suck on that, jobs!

I'm calling the 1800 number!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    That is just plain lame coming from Apple...spent a fair deal getting this phone and Apple has come to be associated with excellence...I expect a lot more from them period!!:

You'd expect for a company such as Apple to go through rigorous product testing phases prior to release...I assume that's why we saw so many 'leaked' prototypes...was this problem not discovered earlier, or were they (whoever is responsible for product design @ Apple)too lazy, or thinking about the cost of re-design to bother with amending a flaw in such a high profile product???
    apparently they did all their testing while drunk, at several bars around town! probably blamed the "bad reception" on the background noise at the bar.
    Last edited by pimpinpapoii; 06-25-2010 at 12:24 PM.

I have not got a clue how the apple engineers didn't see this one coming??

I mean come on, surely they would have seen that a user touching the phone (and shorting the antenna) would present a huge resistance to the circuit?? Try putting a multimeter across yourself you'll get the idea.

Correct me if I am wrong but when the phone transmits anything through that antenna, the circuit would see a mismatch at the end and possibly reflect some of that TX power back into the circuit as VSWR? I haven't worked with these kind of circuits but I do work in the HF/MF field, and I guess the principle is the same.

Would it be possible to damage the circuitry that way?

Im not scaremongering here, just asking an engineering question.

And as for the bumpers, yes it will solve the problem. It puts an insulator (poor conductor) between the resistive load and the antenna, therefore problem solved. But at $30 effin dollars???

Apple, I have lost a lot of respect for you. Knowing there is a flaw is one thing. Admitting it is great. But charging your users for the fix? Wow

Sandy

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

Im tempted to cancel my July 14th order. There's so many variables...many have the issue but there are a small number with no issue. Tested my buddy's right after walking out the store yesterday and no signal lost. Very dissapointed with ALL the issues.

lately, apple-ATT have been really something havent they?

-cutting unlimited data plans
    -tragic pre-orders
    -tragic launch day experience (only at apples and very small quantity)
    -MANY problems with iPhone 4 (attenea issue, yellow screen, some people with reversed volume button and proximity sensor issue)

this is a lot...especially the attenea issue...i mean cmon, its apples 4th generation phone, they should have perfected the signal and "phone" part of the iphone...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

damn.. thinking twice now because I HATE cases and silicone crap... they stick to the pocket, make the phone bulky, etc... why buy the "thinest smartphone" if you are gonna stick a case to make it bigger than the 3g? why get the slick design and shiny glass if you are gonna put an ugly plastic in the back and it will look like any other phone!... for that I stick to the 3gs without my signal strong no matter how I hold it

Quote Originally Posted by swehbe View Post
    well my iPhone doesnt have this issue, tried many times (maybe am standing too close to a tower). On the other hand though, my home button has a white dot on the edge from the inside! do you think i can have it replaced for that ??

MAn don't replace because you will get the faulty iphone 4 wich does all that antenna crap! So you were blessed to have a nice and correct iphone 4! forget about the dot! it's absolutely nothing in compare with the antenna problem!

Quote Originally Posted by PanayiotisN View Post
    MAn don't replace because you will get the faulty iphone 4 wich does all that antenna crap! So you were blessed to have a nice and correct iphone 4! forget about the dot! it's absolutely nothing in compare with the antenna problem!
    +2

I made a post about this on the forums under general for the iPhone. Apparently the folks who replied to it seems to think I need to "get over it!" Talk about being a fanboy...

While you can't argue "holding a phone the wrong way" can affect reception. However I've never heard of a cell phone manufacturer bragging about how they designed this amazing device. Placing the antenna's around the outside of phone to improve reception. This response proves they new about it long before it was announced.

Apple bragged the feature up and now they are back tracking. This is going to hurt them in a big way. Hell if I wanted a device they sucked at reception I'd buy a ipod touch/ipad. Looks like I'll just be sticking with my Nexus. Android still has things I don't like about it, but damn that phone holds service like no other.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

The signal loss is most definately from the bridging of the 2 lower breaks. this happens by just doing it with 2 fingers and keeping the rest of the phone completely open and not blocking any other reception point. this is a design flaw and I can see a class action lawsuit happening so keep your receipts for bumpers boys and girls.

On another note,
    I was involved in an ipod nano class action lawsuit for the shiny back getting scratched. They claimed that Apple should have included a pouch with it and filed a HUGE lawsuit. I got a postcard in the mail saying check here to be involved and low and behold a year later i got a check for 37.50.
    This is too big to be let go.

Here's a little blurb regarding antennaes that I picked up off of Reddit. Whilst the majority (majority, not all) of comments here seem to be in the "hate apple/att/whatever", and none of them are really adding to the conversation, here's an educated dissertation on the matter:

Apple iPhone 4Antennas... - AntennaSys Blog - AntennaSys, Inc. - antenna design, integration and consulting.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to boe_dye For This Useful Post:

sandyt87 (06-25-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by silent1643 View Post
    Dude that is the funniest f'n video I've ever seen about an Apple fail in my entire life! We are all here at the office almost wetting ourselves! Bravo to the find!

I have one question. Was this response directly from Steve Jobs himself?

If not, then disregard the rest.

If so, well, Jobs is the CEO. He isn't a technical person. So in actuality he most likely would not know enough about this sort of thing to actually give an informed answer. He can only reiterate whatever he's been told by someone else, who can be (and is) a bit off, in that it is definately not normal to nearly or completely loose signal by merely holding the phone, regardless of position. While many handsets can and do experience slight, I've never seen my 3GS, nor any other phone loose reception like this merely by where I've held it. Usually it's the orientation that can make a difference, both with cell signals and wiki, which is a common trait for most any kind of radio (RF) signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    Dude that is the funniest f'n video I've ever seen about an Apple fail in my entire life! We are all here at the office almost wetting ourselves! Bravo to the find!
    Not wanting to be a kill joy, and while the video is funny, and no I'm not an apple/mac fanboy:

Facetime is over WiFi, not over GSM.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast