+ Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Defends iPhone 4 Reception with General Swipe at All Mobile Phones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Yeah I called Apple this morning about this, as I spent over 10 hours in line for one yesterday. The only thing he said was buy a bumper, I then
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Yeah it's messed up
    Yeah I called Apple this morning about this, as I spent over 10 hours in line for one yesterday. The only thing he said was buy a bumper, I then told him I paid $550 for the phone & wasn't going to pay $30 bucks for a few cents worth of product. I also went on to tell him they knew of the design flaw & were exploiting it with the overpriced bumpers. I did tell him I would take one for free bumper & that I thought everyone whom bought an i phone 4 should get one. He's only response was to leave feedback on the Apple site Apple - Feedback, so everyone with an i phone 4 leave a nasty feedback so we can all get free bumpers. As we should if the design flaw was know, which I believe it was I think we should have gotten one with purchuse!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ill_graphics For This Useful Post:

iphnblues (06-25-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think this is over hyped.. the only reason we are hearing about this is bc you can touch part of the antenna. If it was internalized like the other iPhones we wouldn't be hearing about this at all.

Thanks

I highly doubt that Apple is going to redesign the antenna(too late now), and so the logical resolution should be to offer the "bumper" at no cost and of the customer's choice in colour. Anyone with basic electronics knowledge could have advised the Apple engineers.....but they obviously knew this, hence the release of the "bumper". Sneaky, but not smarter than most of us out here.....except for the few that are willing to accept the flaw and pay more to resolve it(ie: pay for the bumper). It boggles my mind.
    OTB 1.0.2>.....>2.0.1
    Rogers Canada

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 antenna fix
    Due to the FCC (Freaks, Crooks & Cronies) they made the cell phone manufacturers put the antennas at the bottom of phones so your brain wont get cooked so bad. Been that way for a while. Your body, being mostly water, does block the signal a tad. Touching the actual ant though is not a good idea. Nothing a little scotch tape wouldn't cure. 30.00 case? Damm, I'm in the wrong business

Wait I have a idea that came out years ago. The o'l antenna booster decal.

Just put this on the back lower right corner

I made one for my 3GS a while back. It actually helped it out in my poor AT&T area.
    Last edited by CMOSlabs; 06-25-2010 at 10:07 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SchmilK's Avatar
    Thanks

i drove 32 miles in 45 minutes while on a single phone call and going passed the 2 mile marker areas that i ALWAYS drop calls on my 3GS i did NOT loose the call once...the whole time TRYING to get it to drop the call!

iPhone? More like MyPhone katmeef's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bftiedt View Post
    I think this is over hyped.. the only reason we are hearing about this is bc you can touch part of the antenna. If it was internalized like the other iPhones we wouldn't be hearing about this at all.
    i disagree that it's overhyped. Yes, we wouldn't be hearing about it if it was internalized like other iphones..... Thats the point!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

My verizon phone does this. Apple people are straight crazy. They are like spoiled little children.
    If I hold my iPhone 4 in the above manner, I lose 1-2 bars. If I hold my BlackBerry Storm in the above manner, I lose 2 bars.
    YouTube - BlackBerry Storm with iPhone 4 reception issue
    Really?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    They need to send everyone a free band thingy because $29.99 is nuts! Waiting for the Hong Kong version on eBay for 99 cents.
    this is how apple can make more money out of you, and they have more replacements for us if we drop the phone, that is why we can take it a part with just 1 screw driver.

Thanks

but does your blackberry loose ALL reception and go searching for service?

iPhone? More like MyPhone j.eck.art.3d's Avatar
    Thanks

For once, the lefties in the world win! I really am sorry to the majority of the right-handed world for making light of this.
    I was wondering if my phone was miraculously unaffected by this issue as I hadn't seen ANY signal loss as I held my phone. Then I realized... I hold the phone in my right hand and use my left hand to navigate, click, touch and swipe. I guess the iPhone 4 as the "green scissors" that were in your elementary art classroom.
    In response to how apple could "let this happen": I read a post today that makes PERFECT sense. As we all saw a few months ago from the lost/stolen/leaked iPhone 4 prototype, when Apple field tested these devices they hid them inside of cases that made them look like iPhone 3Gs so that they could test them "in the wild" without the public even knowing. They probably found this issue very late in the development process. So late in fact that they had already committed to it fully. Now, if you take a few steps back like I did after the keynote and question why they thought to put a rubber gap between the antennas to insulate them, BUT not think that humans would complete that circuit, it doesn't shine well on their engineers. When I posed this question to myself during the keynote, I just thought "wow, apple must have some type of way to prevent the short built in, like how GFI outlets work, INGENIOUS" I guess I was wrong
    It takes a lot less time to develop a mold for a rubber "bumper" than to totally redesign a phone, hence Apple came to market with the first ever Apple-made case.
    These "bumpers" probably cost less than a dollar to produce, if Apple wasn't so strong-headed, narrow minded and elitist, they would give a "bumper" to everyone who has already purchased and purchases an iPhone 4 in the future. That would be a good PR move, they already admitted that it is a fault of their design, so appeasing the masses wouldn't make it any worse, it would only make things better.
    None the less, don't expect next year's iPhone to have external antennas, which is a shame because this year's design (aesthetically and ergonomically) kicks @ss, I love it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to j.eck.art.3d For This Useful Post:

katmeef (06-25-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone brbortscheller's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. They make you pay an extra $30+ just for your iPhone to work?! HOW PATHETIC!

iPhone? More like MyPhone giancarlo's Avatar
    Thanks

I honestly think it's a matter of getting used to. I honestly don't see the signal drop anymore, and I never had a drop call either. I am in Miami, FL.....so maybe it all depends on what part of the "coverage map" you're on? I'm absolutely loving my iPhone 4.....like it would have to completly brick up for me to be mad about it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's s@*% like this from apple that made is real easy to switch to the EVO!!!

Thanks

As soon as I get mine, it's getting unboxed and put straight into a Defender series Otterbox. I wont even put a print on it, I may just wear gloves. In my opinion you'd have to be crazy to carry that bad boy naked. lol!!!
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Steve Job is holding it wrong when he did the presentation at WWDC. So even him he doesn't know that there's a flaw in the antennae reception.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

For every problem, there is a solution, and Apple historically has resolved them more quickly than any other company.

Chill out people.

PS-I can't make it happen to mine. 2 big cups of Hatorade.

Thanks

You know? When companies aren't afraid to innovate they catch all this slack, there are always flaws in new design. That's how you fix them for the future products. Every other phone on the market is garbage! I'll take my few iPhone flaws with all it's PROS.
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have yet to have any issues with mine that I got atthe store yesterday. It's a 32GB model. No screen issues or antenna problems at all. I imagine a small reception drop is normal and acceptable of up to a bar or two if held wrong. But if you are completely losing signal take it to apple because that is certainly not happening with all the phones. I can attest to that with mine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionarymc View Post
    You know? When companies aren't afraid to innovate they catch all this slack, there are always flaws in new design. That's how you fix them for the future products. Every other phone on the market is garbage! I'll take my few iPhone flaws with all it's PROS.
    Nice innovation - a signal kill switch

There's no right or wrong way to hold the ipad (but there is for the iphone!)
    Last edited by katmeef; 06-25-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone silent1643's Avatar
    Thanks

i likie (mute after a few seconds)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK37dysPPzU[/ame]
    Last edited by silent1643; 06-25-2010 at 10:15 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silent1643 For This Useful Post:

eserfeliz (06-25-2010), katmeef (06-25-2010)