+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Says iPhone Yellowing Will Fade

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Some users are hearing from Apple Support that the reported yellowing and discoloration of the iPhone 4's Retina display is a temporary condition that will go away in time. This
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Says iPhone Yellowing Will Fade

Some users are hearing from Apple Support that the reported yellowing and discoloration of the iPhone 4's Retina display is a temporary condition that will go away in time. This claim is supported by a poster on AppleInsider's forums who says he sold adhesive to Apple that they used to affix the glass covers. However, some support reps are telling people to bring their iPhones in for replacement, indicating (at least) disorganization inside Support.

On the first day of the official iPhone 4 retail launch, a number of problems including reception issues and excessive scratching have been garnering a lot of attention. The screen yellowing began to be reported yesterday, and complaints have multiplied as the first production run of iPhone 4s hits the streets. One AppleInsider poster going by the name "austingaijin" [ame="http://forums.appleinsider.com/showpost.php?p=1659997&postcount=122"]claims that the yellowing is a result of an adhesive[/ame] used to bond the Gorilla Glass onto the iPhone's case. The poster, saying that he was involved in "pitching" the product to Apple, says they are using a bonding agent called "Organofunctional Silane Z-6011" and that the manufacturer is probably not allowing enough time for the adhesive to fully dry before shipping the units. But, the poster asserts, after "one or two days of use, especially with the screen on" the bonding agent should evaporate and the color should be normal.

A Gizmodo reader sent an email to report that Apple Support made a very similar claim when the reader had called to report screen discoloration. The rep said "that it is residue from the manufacturing process and that they rushed the shipments out to hit deadline... the residue is not dry fully yet and it should clear up within a couple of days." Other support reps, however, are directing users to return their iPhones for replacement. We'll see in a few days whether some Support reps are better informed than others (it does happen) or if the "adhesive" story is just that: a story.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (06-24-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

What about battery issue? will fix coming?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple is not looking very good. I guess i will wait till Christimas for mine! Hopefully everything is fixed by then

Green Apple
    Thanks

ok, so what about the reception issue?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

This is exactly what I was thinking cuz when I bought my first PSP it had some discoloration but I didn't care I just wanted to
    play the damn thing and after playing for a long time the discoloration faded. So I would say just use the phone a lot and let it get a bit warm and the yellowish color should fade out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have small screen discoloration and i will see in a day or 2 if it dissapears or not. i assume it will

Thanks

Good to know that the white ones that are being produced more slowly may not be subject to these flaws, even the temporary discoloration. Thank goodness for patience, I knew I felt like I should wait for the white one to come out. Let em fix the lil things and get it all in order.

WRECK 'EM TECH!!! Twitter Me: Jared_Mataska
    Or Leave a Thanks...

Thanks

Now im kinda glad apple cancled my order....but hopefully it really is just some glue

My iPhone is a Part of Me DJM AutoWerkz's Avatar
    Thanks

@ Saliva
    What batter issue ?

iPhone? More like MyPhone risingkazuya05's Avatar
    Thanks

That's what y'all get :P
    Just kidding...i'm dying to get one but i got TMobile so I guess I'll have to wait till everything gets fixed and stick to my 3GS
    Ninjas?!?!...They all learned from ME!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salival View Post
    What about battery issue? will fix coming?
    What battery issue? This is the first I have heard about one. Of course, I've been near an outlet most of the day so if there was a fast drain, I could recharge.

Green Apple
    Dearborn Heights, Michigan, United States
    Thanks
    looks like I got lucky, no discoloration issues what so ever. I also haven't experienced any reception issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Love the pic used lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My 3G has had pixel problems from day one and if it doesn't affect the performance in any way, I honestly couldn't care less. I understand people expect a certain degree of professionalism from Apple, but yellow screen? I think I can deal.

Thanks

I, too, am wondering about this battery issue. ???

No discoloration here; however, I am able to reproduce the reception problem. I ordered a "bumper", so I am anxious to see how that corrects the issue.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Dunno about this one. the residue story sounds probable enough to believe, I guess we will see in a few days. However, if it is just residue that needs a few days to dry it is still NOT OKAY. Now I don't have one yet so I haven't seen it for myself, but when I buy what is supposed to be the elite of the premium phones/gadgets and it costs there after, I expect an absolute pristine product, if that is not the case, they will have to replace it and learn not to 'rush' things some other time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone j3wbagell's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty easy to get one here in 0rlando

My parents didn't pay for my iPhone.
    *If i help you hit that "Thanks" button for me*

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I haven't had great battery life. With little use today with a full charge from 10 am to 7 pm and an iTunes connection for a bit, my battery is at 65%. So I am not impressed. Just reminds me of my 3G I just replaced.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

This thing just looks freaking amazing. I'm tickled. Lol

Thanks

Battery issue?? I've had none...been on it constantly, a nice upgrade from my 3G

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast