Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678 16 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Say What?! iPhone 4 Loses Reception Bars When Held by the Antenna Band?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Holly crap. I hope I get my hands on one tomorrow so I can try this... if so, it's going back to apple and will stick around with the old 3gs until they fix this real good

My 3GS loses 2-3 bars when I hold it vs 5 bars when it's laying flat. I think it's 4.0. A lot of people have also had problems with their 3G not working after updating. I had to reset my network settings 4x for it to have good 3G signal

This is pretty crazy.. You would think with all the engineers and design team they had this wouldn't be an issue.. Craziness!!

Here is way the signal drops when we touch the sides. Just think of it this way. If you touch positive to a negative wires on a battery it shorts out. The same applies with the outside antennas they get shorted out by having the signals crossed when we touch the side. Also like Steve said in his key note that I know many of you are wondering why do you have those black dividers now you know why.

it all depends how you hold the phone though. If you palm the entire back when youre on a call then yea it drops to about 2 bars. By if you hold the phone by the bottom half your reception stays fine. An issue nonetheless but it doesn't affect me when i use it because of how i hold it. Those bumpers are going to look funny I think, might just wait for nice cases to come out.

Thanks

Oh snap!

It has to be a bug! Or we will...
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

no one is taking my advice? lol, its hardware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by maxgsteinberg View Post
    anyone tried this?
    I've tried it myself which is the reason why i posted this

Thats funny. i used one for about an hour today and never noticed it loose any signal.

Default Baseband culprit???
    For those that have had this occur with a 3G or 3GS using iOS4 what baseband are you running. Excuse the ignorance but could the baseband have an affect on how reception is handled. I have a 3GS on baseband 05.11.07 with iOS4 and my reception did not drop at all. Just throwing that out there too.

Only happens to me when it grab all four corners at once and hold it for a decent period of time. Say 30-45 seconds. I think that it's screwing up because you're touching the separate antennas together. I don't forswear this being a massive issue as most people are thinking. My opinion is that a simple case will solve it. I don't hold my hand on the phone like that throughout the time I've had it, and even living in a crappy service area the first phone call I made (25 minutes long) sounded better than all iPhones I've had. It happens to me every time I make myself do it, but so far I've not had a problem when actually using it. Having it on me tomorrow all day I'll see what it's like then, but a simple case for it would probably solve the problem for me. And a case is a must for me, I like naked gadgets but with what I do for a living it's simply not possible to not use one.

Oh and anyone else notice that old screen protectors won't fit right? The screen is longer! Damnit.

questin for the guys who have iphone 4... did the packaging have any plastic protective thing around the phone... in that case or otherwise I would prefer some kind of invisible shield stuff around the antenna to avoid touch rather than buyin those ugly a** bumpers...

Also, just to let people confirm, I am using MicroCell with AT&T and its right next to me.. By me holding the sides together with the wifi on, the reception decreases to two to one bar. When I have wifi off, it doesn't decrease and stays at 5 bars.

@KAMatic - my bf tried it, it doesn't help. The bars still drop

@and1gator - I have baseband 05.13.04. My 3GS lowers

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mine has been dropping calls too but AT&T sucks in Denver

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't just try it with my 3gs it lost signal the whole to nothin.. I grabbed it so allmy fingers were touching the crome band. Thats messed up.. I'm on 5.12.01

Watch this, it might explains the hardware defect or error of the iphone 4 reception problem people been having while holding it properly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-BR-LgA9Lw]YouTube - iPhone 4 Reception issue identified! Part 1[/ame]

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Saosindeath For This Useful Post:

mysteryskater125 (06-23-2010)

It's a firmware issue that apple is going to fix after a jailbreak comes out for it so that they can patch it and nearly force everyone to update.

If it's a hardware problem...... SOL (other than replacement)

Twitter: @tshoults

Holy **** this is true...I did not believe this video then i tried it and if you hold it at a slight angle while holding it it will slowly drop bars.

I am a radio operator in the military and I know that the human body conducts any electricity that it touches (duh right?) There are huge safety issues when dealing with heavily amped up gear in my job.
    Why did apple not know this? They have some of the smartest engineers working for them and they did not know that HUMAN=Ground.

The only way to quick fix this would be to get some type of Insulator between you and the metal antenna band.
    Get a iPhone case in other words..

Well this is just great..

Latest Project: iEvo HD4 TrueHD iPhone4 theme. ~~~ Click Donate to support my theme's!

Just go exchange for another iPhone until you get one without this problem :P

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678 16 ... LastLast