+ Reply
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Say What?! iPhone 4 Loses Reception Bars When Held by the Antenna Band?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Shumdit I see a class action lawsuit coming...... Apple would refund your money before they let a giant lawsuite go through. Can;t really sue if they give
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shumdit View Post
    I see a class action lawsuit coming......
    Apple would refund your money before they let a giant lawsuite go through. Can;t really sue if they give you back what you paid for it...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brian5s View Post
    I can definitely say that this is true. Happens every time you pick up the phone. Sit the phone back down and the signal goes up. So, I decided to try a little experiment. Put my iSkin 3GS case around it, and guess what. The bars went back up while holding it!!!
    So you're saying you're not being used as an RF ground now? Right..........Me (1) Apple (0)

I've only been in Electronics Engineering since 2001, Apple has engineers from how far back that should have known this? DUH?
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Turn off Wifi, Bluetooth and you won't lose reception. Your hand is acting like a circuit thats "short-circuiting" the reception when touched together. When its off, it doesn't short because its not on.

Try it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone kickerman65's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Explain the 3G and 3Gs having the same issue, smartasses.
    Yea well im running 4.0 on both my 3GS and my 3G and i have zero issues with reception no matter how i hold it. So explain that smartass
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    yea well im running 4.0 on both my 3gs and my 3g and i have zero issues with reception no matter how i hold it. So explain that smartass
    bump!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i just love this community how everyones contributing... my verizon contract expired and i was going to switch to at&t just for the iphone 4... but apperently people in my area have bad service with at&t and now this to make it worse

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just tried this on my 3gs i smothered the phone with my hands like everyone has been doing. Guess what happened? I lost 3 bars oh my!!! Common sense? Yes.... Smother your phones antennae and lose signal. I just hope it isn't worse on my iphone 4 that arrives tomorrow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    Yea well im running 4.0 on both my 3GS and my 3G and i have zero issues with reception no matter how i hold it. So explain that smartass
    watch the video
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Lpt2YkF3Q]YouTube - iPhone reception issue on iPhone 3G.mov[/ame]

Thanks

Happens to me too, but it doesn't go to no service, it only drops from 5 to 3 bars most of the time.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks

I'm not doubting it's a software problem but if it is what kind of software would make it lose signal when you touch the case of the phone. I just don't understand what kind of software can cause a problem like that from the phone being touched on the case.(not on the screen)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KSMatic View Post
    Turn off Wifi, Bluetooth and you won't lose reception. Your hand is acting like a circuit thats "short-circuiting" the reception when touched together. When its off, it doesn't short because its not on.

Try it.
    anyone tried this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scatman10 View Post
    Just tried this on my 3gs i smothered the phone with my hands like everyone has been doing. Guess what happened? I lost 3 bars oh my!!! Common sense? Yes.... Smother your phones antennae and lose signal. I just hope it isn't worse on my iphone 4 that arrives tomorrow
    Smothered? I believe the issue is TOUCHING the i4, not shoving it 2 feet up your...... GIGGITY@!

For the record it cannot be i4 firmware if "I" don't have problems on my 3GS, as all firmware is the same.
    Last edited by one1; 06-23-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxgsteinberg View Post
    not to get off topic...but i bought my xbox 360 for $500 3 days before it dropped in price...

i will never buy something as soon as it comes out again
    Take it back then. I actually only buy consoles from Costco cause they have a no questions return policy. When I red the red ring, I take it to Costco and get a new one, not wait six weeks to get a refurb.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi5o5 View Post
    I have been trying to replicate this issue with my 3GS, and with an older 3G. Both on 4.0, one is JB.

I can't replicate it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Did not read the whole thread, but this only seems to happen to my iphone 4 when I wifi on. If no wifi, signal stays where it was.
    kwickone I.T.H.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by androd25 View Post
    I have been trying to replicate this issue with my 3GS, and with an older 3G. Both on 4.0, one is JB.

I can't replicate it.
    Me neither.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have been trying to replicate this with my iphone 4 but so far any way I hold it I still have full bars.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

i wonder if a bumper helps it since you dont actually come in contact with antenna.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not to bail Apple out here but that's what happens when:

A)People expect a new iPhone every year, on the dot around June.
    B)Someone releases details about an unreleased phone (gizmodo)forcing Apple to release the phone earlier in order to maintain old product (3GS) profitability
    C) a company is forced to keep up with its market position

FACT IS, as you can tell from posts in this thread.
    Some people have the issue, some people dont.
    Ive realized the whole "place your phone on the table to get more service" issue ever since my first cell in 1996. My 2G, 3G and 3GS all do that. To that extent (0 bars), NO, but they all do it. So nobody should be accusing anyone for "bs" or calling someone a "smartass" only cause its not happening to you.

Give it some time. A solution will be found. Either you'll return your unit or the situation is solved software wise. I still dont have my iphone4 but im still getting it, because with a company the size of Apple the issue will get resolved (cash or fix) one way or another.

Patience is a virtue.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to spyder2005 For This Useful Post:

Nepptune77 (06-24-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone sunshinejenn03's Avatar
    Thanks

I've tried every which way to duplicate this and I can't. BUT my wifi signal goes down though. Weird?

Also I did drop a call to my dad twice this evening but I attributed it at the time to AT&Ts network and shrugged it off. He complained that my voice sounded tinny off and on.