+ Reply
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Say What?! iPhone 4 Loses Reception Bars When Held by the Antenna Band?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
so the apple store i went to seems to have a magic force field that prevents apple products from malfunctioning. I went to the local apple store in the mall
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    so the apple store i went to seems to have a magic force field that prevents apple products from malfunctioning. I went to the local apple store in the mall and told them about the problem and they asked me to show them... ofc i was like no big deal let me just put it in my hand and...... nothing bars didnt go down... i stepped out of the store and went on my way home.. and now it does it again.. the guy thought i was crazy or something

My iPhone is a Part of Me DJM AutoWerkz's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok I just got off the phone with a apple sr advisor or manager whatever. He told me to explain exactly what the problem was etc so I did. He said there gathering info from all iPhone 4 owners that call in about this problem and said there waiting on the technicians to see what they want to do either it be, fix the iPhone 4's, or replace or last but not least GIVE OUT FREE IPHONE BUMBERS FOR IPHONE 4 owners WTF!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

no. changing the sim, like changing the software, will have no effect on the problems inherent in the hardware.
    Last edited by twitchthecat; 06-24-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
    Hilarious.. I just got off the phone with Apple support on this reception issue.

First the support person told me it sounds like a local network problem. I explained that sitting on my desk I have 5 bars, in my hand I have zero.

She then had me reset the network settings. I did that and the phone rebooted. It came up with 5 bars, I placed it in my hand and counted down to her 4,3,2,1 nada. Then put the phone my desk and counted back up 1,2,3,4,5.

She then said it sounds like a problem with the SIM card so take the phone to a local ATT store and have them replace the SIM card.

Is there ANY chance in he11 this could be a SIM problem?
    So I just tried this out and got the same results. Iphone sitting on my desk has 5 bars. Picked up and held with left hand and the bars slowly disappear to nothing. I'm going to try this again at home though. My work area didn't have outstanding coverage with my 3G iphone but this doesn't look good. F-ing Apple

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey all...I'm curious.. I couldn't find a way to create a poll on Modmyi.com, (maybe you can't).. but I was curious to see just how bad this issue might be.. I have created a poll at www.AntennaFlaw.com . MODS..if this is not cool, please remove, but I think it's o.k. to post??

Thanks

Tack on another victim . I just got my iphone4 today . And i can say that when i touch the famous ANTENNA my bars disappear ; and actually making a call it seems like forever to connect the call . WOW APPLE GOOD ONE
    NOW WHAT .?. Quality ??? . Oh by the way looks beautiful . feels a bit heavier than the 3gs ..

APPLE MAKE THIS RIGHT !!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone NiteStar's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, I'm even having a problem with the proximity sensor. I "accidentally" put the Apple rep on hold somehow while talking to her about this reception issue. Seems its WAY to sensitive and turns on even while on my ear and my ear/cheak (lol) starts hitting the buttons while talking t someone.

Maybe this is a software fix as well? lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStar View Post
    Wow, I'm even having a problem with the proximity sensor. I "accidentally" put the Apple rep on hold somehow while talking to her about this reception issue. Seems its WAY to sensitive and turns on even while on my ear and my ear/cheak (lol) starts hitting the buttons while talking t someone.

Maybe this is a software fix as well? lol
    Hit the reset all settings button, read on another thread it fixes it. I have the same problem now when i put my ear to it, it dissapears like normal but when i pull it away it stays black and cant use the key pad,speaker or hang up. I called apple tech support and they just shipped me a new iphone today lol. I get it tomorrow. But try reseting the settings see if that helps

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BoostedEvoIX For This Useful Post:

NiteStar (06-24-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

OK, I talked to Apple. The first tech told me the phone was designed that way! To which I told him that was BS and that it was unacceptable. He also told me that it was only a visual problem, and that the signal was still strong. I refuted that by giving a short course on how your body would interfere with it. Then he tells that he could only tell me what he was told to say. He then transferred me to a senior tech, who by the way stated that sites like Gizmodo, etc. were reporting on it. I start to talk to her when the call drops… freaking classic! They can't call back because guess what, I've got no damn signal since I am holding it like a normal person would! I put it in my old 3G silicone case and it gets signal again. So now I call back & go through the whole dog & pony show to get to a person again. He gets me to another senior tech after about 25 minutes of hold time. The senior tech tells me that they will report it to the engineers. She also said as more people call it, they would escalate the issue for a resolution… SO CALL APPLE PEOPLE! (1-800-MY APPLE) She also offered me free bumpers to hold me over till they figure out the problem & how to fix it. I have 2 of these things, so they are sending two, ask for one when you call. It's the least they can do. She assured me she would call me back in a week to give me a progress report. So, I'm gonna hold my breath now, gotta go.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

amfdfireinside (06-24-2010), andtron (06-24-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

So it turns out I lose bars not when I hold it on the top left side like in the video, but when I hold the antenna slots. This is ridiculous

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default No reception is common on 3gs and iphone 4
    I have a 3gs and i recreated the same issue on it. This must have been an issue that never got notice, until now. I swap my iphone 4 sim card at the att store to no success. I think it is a hardware problem and not a software. They need to take the iphone out of the shelves and reimburst everyone. To sad,because it really a cool looking phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Amazing, I understand that with something new comes new problems. But to let such a major issue go unnoticed, UNBELIEVABLE! You would think that Apple might just take a few phones out for the day prior to launch and test them out.

I am very glad that I haven't purchased an iPhone 4 yet because of this, but I am still jealous of all you guys who iPhone 4's already

iPhone? More like MyPhone NiteStar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedEvoIX View Post
    Hit the reset all settings button, read on another thread it fixes it. I have the same problem now when i put my ear to it, it dissapears like normal but when i pull it away it stays black and cant use the key pad,speaker or hang up. I called apple tech support and they just shipped me a new iphone today lol. I get it tomorrow. But try reseting the settings see if that helps
    Thanks dude. I just did it and going to see what's up.

As for the reception issue again... While talking to the Apple rep, she told me that "this is the first I've heard of it" and "thanks for letting me know for the next caller with this problem". LOL Never offered "free bumpers" though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStar View Post
    Thanks dude. I just did it and going to see what's up.

As for the reception issue again... While talking to the Apple rep, she told me that "this is the first I've heard of it" and "thanks for letting me know for the next caller with this problem". LOL Never offered "free bumpers" though.
    Post back if it works.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    im calling them right now and im gonna try to get a new phone out of them and at the least a free case... we will see. hopefully i can be persuasive enough

Thanks

Ok, so I think it's a little bit of both hardware and software.
    I know this sounds dumb, but my old 3Gs is doing it since I put iOS4 on it...

Maybe iOS4's programming uses the antenna differently. Before iOS4 I would lose ONE bar when covering the back of the 3Gs phone with my hand. Now it loses ALL and will jump from EDGE to No Service.

It's most def the two bottom slots on the i4 though. I can make mine do it with only using TWO fingers!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Me too
    So this is what ive tested on my unlocked 3G 3.1.2 on tmobile I didn't lose any bars. However on my coworkers 3G 3.1.3 locked to AT&T she drops down to 2 bars. Then my other coworker has an unlocked 2g 3.1.2 on tmobile and he didn't lose any bars too. So what I then did was take my coworkers AT&T sim and put it to my unlocked 3G and what do you know, the bars started dropping, but only down to 2 bars. I then put back my tmobile sim back in and it stayed at full bars. Sorry I have no iPhone 4 to test, but hope this test I did helps out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i am in canada and use carrier fido have 3gs MC model with ios4gm, when ios4 came out, i got an carrier update, maybe you guys need that update as well...... i dont have any loss of bars when holding normally either.

Thanks

ok guys just went to best buy cause i wanted to get a new case for my iphone 4. I got a belkin one that kinda like a bumper but also has a protective case for the back of the phone. Very nice case, snug fit. Anyways, i put it on and i held in my hand like before and service bars stayed all the way up. So yea its def not a software issue, its hardware

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arfreitas12 View Post
    im calling them right now and im gonna try to get a new phone out of them and at the least a free case... we will see. hopefully i can be persuasive enough
    so im getting a few bumper case because i called =]
    no replacement phone though :/