+ Reply
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Say What?! iPhone 4 Loses Reception Bars When Held by the Antenna Band?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The signal problem to me seems to be with human finger contact because I'm using the iPhone 4 in the little white tray it sits on in the box and
    My iPhone is a Part of Me DJM AutoWerkz's Avatar
    Thanks

The signal problem to me seems to be with human finger contact because I'm using the iPhone 4 in the little white tray it sits on in the box and only touching the back and hands all over the white tray and no signal or 3G loss.

Edit- I think the bumpers will solve this issue.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

tried a few times and my signal stays full so idk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bftiedt For This Useful Post:

iphone925 (06-23-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Ya happens on mine, but only when I hold the left side and the top two corners at the same time. What the hell were Apple's engineers thinking when they designed this? Did they not once think that by putting your hands or maybe even a case on this thing (perhaps the Apple bumper case?) it would not interfere with the signal? Shouldn't this have been tested and fixed? I mean really, if it was one bar then ok, but mine drops from five bars to two, wtf? Apple better have a fix for this or something.

Thanks

The good old days of having to stand in front of a TV holding the rabbit ears. Except this situation actually makes it worse.

I kind of figured this would be an issue. You have direct contact to the antenna. I ordered a Bumper the day I preordered so I will not be in this boat.

Thanks

The problem isn't the antenna being on the outside. Its the placement of the exterior antennas. They should have been on the top and/or bottom, not the sides.

Thanks

does it on mine on the left side. not too worried though, as long as I have one bar it has been working. Phone worked all day with me holding it in the same area

Launch product = problems are going to happen......kind of like when BMW launched the 745 in 2002...major problems

Overall, its still a nice phone and won't be going anywhere.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm 2-for-2 with this issue (my and my wife's phones). Hope the bumpers fix it until there's another solution.

Thanks

If I put my shirt over my hand and hold the phone in that, so it is contacting the shirt and not my flesh, I don't lose signal. As soon as I remove my shirt and let it touch the flesh the signal drops. Put my shirt over my hand and it goes right back up to full strength.

If it needs to be fixed by bumpers,they better darn well be giving everyone free bumpers.
    Last edited by Moosestache; 06-23-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nkgneto View Post
    Apple knows this...They sell a $30 fix it's called "Bumpers"
    I completely agree!! They probably discovered this issue in the final stages of testing and with all the leaks and news coverage about the 'greatest smartphone ever' they had no choice but to press forward and then the "Bumper" was born.

I had no intention on getting a new i4 and now I am loving my 3GS even more!!
    "Once is an accident, Twice is a trend, Three times is evidence."

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So I guess you have to buy a case with this. Wow spend more money than you already did.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Niner1000RR's Avatar
    Thanks

Mine drops 2 bars when I do it, interesting...

Hopefully the case I just ordered solves it!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJM AutoWerkz View Post
    The signal problem to me seems to be with human finger contact because I'm using the iPhone 4 in the little white tray it sits on in the box and only touching the back and hands all over the white tray and no signal or 3G loss.

Edit- I think the bumpers will solve this issue.
    WOW.... Look, I am a technology geek, and typically I HAVE to have the latest technology. Being an early adopter almost always comes with certain risks.. I've had 1st gen PVRs, Phones, whatever..and accept that risk to a point.. I just happened to wait to buy an iPhone4 until the J/B community has successfully identified an exploit. I am very happy I waited. Reading above that the bumpers will solve the issue is what these manufacturers LOVE to hear..customers that are SOOOOO in love with their brand, that they will accept an alleged manufacturing flaw with some crap that you are NOT supposed to NEED for the PHONE to work??!! People, please.... If these issues are real (and the numerous reports seem to indicate this), do NOT accept the problem by saying a case will "fix" it, or I can simply HOLD the phone a different way.. that's rediculous.. Apple needs to address this. I will wait patiently on the sideline until the flaw is either debunked..or corrected.

EDIT: OMG...and the person posted above me just said hopefull the case they ordered solves it... geeezz

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to InDashMP3 For This Useful Post:

luvmytj (06-23-2010), M4tt Dam0n (06-24-2010), Nepptune77 (06-24-2010), toyvan (06-23-2010), yiboy (06-24-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Holy crap. SO many comments in so little time. This iPhone seems more addicting than crack!
    When Is The Apple iCar Coming Out? I Want One!

Thanks

haha that nuts. i just tried it. i went from full signal to 2 bars. lol. i did it 3x, just to make sure.

xyx
    Green Apple
    Thanks

*bumper sales skyrocket*

18. The Following User Says Thank You to xyx For This Useful Post:

1PM@N!O (06-24-2010)

Thanks

I Don't like those ugly BUMPERS and I don't take them as a FIX APPLE YOU BETTER FIX THIS **** UP

Thanks

The people who says a Bumper Will this are so idiots..

Dudes, Your not suppose to buy a case for your phone to work perfectly.

The reception is supposed to be good anyway you hold you phone.

Its a Major Design Problem and Should be Fixed at the source itself, not by a protective Case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by InDashMP3 View Post
    WOW.... Look, I am a technology geek, and typically I HAVE to have the latest technology. Being an early adopter almost always comes with certain risks.. I've had 1st gen PVRs, Phones, whatever..and accept that risk to a point.. I just happened to wait to buy an iPhone4 until the J/B community has successfully identified an exploit. I am very happy I waited. Reading above that the bumpers will solve the issue is what these manufacturers LOVE to hear..customers that are SOOOOO in love with their brand, that they will accept an alleged manufacturing flaw with some crap that you are NOT supposed to NEED for the PHONE to work??!! People, please.... If these issues are real (and the numerous reports seem to indicate this), do NOT accept the problem by saying a case will "fix" it, or I can simply HOLD the phone a different way.. that's rediculous.. Apple needs to address this. I will wait patiently on the sideline until the flaw is either debunked..or corrected.

EDIT: OMG...and the person posted above me just said hopefull the case they ordered solves it... geeezz
    I was glad they announched the bumper for the fact it will have a lay on the table design. I hate laying the phone glass first on a table. It needs to be raised and thats what the bumper will do.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am not having that problem. Full bars no matter what I am doing to it.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DeviantGeek For This Useful Post:

RyanWS (06-23-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Will the Wrapsol or SGP Ultra with their side body protection help against this?

I don't like the way the bumpers look except for the black one on the white iphone