+ Reply
Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 27 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Say What?! iPhone 4 Loses Reception Bars When Held by the Antenna Band?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Funny thing is when doing a speed test by not touching the phone vs touching all 4 sides and reducing the bars to 1 or 2, its the same speed
    iPhone? More like MyPhone SchmilK's Avatar
    Thanks

Funny thing is when doing a speed test by not touching the phone vs touching all 4 sides and reducing the bars to 1 or 2, its the same speed results over 3G!
    But I haven't used my phone for talking yet so I don't know what happens then LOL

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bennyg View Post
    Ditto.

Mines absolutely fine! Wonder if its just a US of A problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds View Post
    Nope

Have the same issue on Orange UK
    Strange... I can only say, Im using o2-uk.... Ive tried the test again and still no probs at all.

My only issue is there's no jailbreak yet haha
    do'h

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My iPhone 4 arrived yesterday and I cannot duplicate this problem. I am on at&t with a un-modded phone. I have 3-4 bars of EDGE at home. I haven't been out and about with it yet to see if 3G is affected.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Has anyone seen this on Gizmodo's site?

Update 23: Reader Joe called up Apple to ask about the reception issues, and they said...

Their answer? "Get a bumper" and "it's not their problem".

I told the CSR that if their solution is to buy a bumper, why aren't they giving them out for free? Again, she said not her problem.

Quite an infuriating call - while I sympathize with the verbal beat-down that many of the Apple CSRs will be getting over this problem, they need a better solution than to recommend fixing the problem with their own rubber cases...
    If this is true & is going to be Apple's answer, we will be bombarded with lawsuit announcements. If this Apple's solution, I will never buy another Apple product for sure.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NiteStar's Avatar
    Thanks

Well all I know is that when it goes from 5 bars to "searching" in less than 1 minute by touching the sides, I can't even run a speedtest. It's not just a graphical error, we are really losing a signal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by love2drive2fast View Post
    Ok, I know a lot of us here are geeks ... but I don't want a f'n cheap-***** rubber band around my $300 phone so it will do what it was SUPPOSED to do (ummmmmmmm ... make calls).

Also gotta chime in with the other guys on the "A CASE IS NOT A FIX" thing ... this is simply NOT acceptable !!! And anyone who thinks it is, deserves any POS they buy.

I have all 3 previous iPhones ... and NONE of them do this ... no matter how I hold them ... not even a single bar ... and not after close to 2 minutes on each !!!

Now does anyone have some tape so I can fix the bridge on my glasses ? ... thanx ... lol
    But you could always color the rubber band a pretty color

(I was joking about that by the way lol)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mine works fine too. For the ones with the problem, maybe you need more Iron in your diets!

Thanks

I'm on hold with AT&T right now and they say this is the first they've heard of this issue...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Unhappy Same problem
    Im having the same damn issue!!! WTF? what now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Has anyone seen this on Gizmodo's site?

If this is true & is going to be Apple's answer, we will be bombarded with lawsuit announcements. If this Apple's solution, I will never buy another Apple product for sure.
    You should send that text chat over to Steve Jobs...that kind of attitude is uncalled for and she should be fired for that.

Thanks

Well now we know why they decided to make a case that is made to "show off the front and back while protecting the sides" with this phone to sell on launch day.. Maybe hoping everyone would put it on as soon as they got it and not noticing?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by InDashMP3 View Post
    WOW.... Look, I am a technology geek, and typically I HAVE to have the latest technology. Being an early adopter almost always comes with certain risks.. I've had 1st gen PVRs, Phones, whatever..and accept that risk to a point.. I just happened to wait to buy an iPhone4 until the J/B community has successfully identified an exploit. I am very happy I waited. Reading above that the bumpers will solve the issue is what these manufacturers LOVE to hear..customers that are SOOOOO in love with their brand, that they will accept an alleged manufacturing flaw with some crap that you are NOT supposed to NEED for the PHONE to work??!! People, please.... If these issues are real (and the numerous reports seem to indicate this), do NOT accept the problem by saying a case will "fix" it, or I can simply HOLD the phone a different way.. that's rediculous.. Apple needs to address this. I will wait patiently on the sideline until the flaw is either debunked..or corrected.

EDIT: OMG...and the person posted above me just said hopefull the case they ordered solves it... geeezz
    100000000% Agree!! This is terrible by Apple, and they should immediately do a recall to all phones and fix this design issue!! I work as a quality engineer and in my honest opinion, if Apple knew about this before they shipped their product then I would have ZERO respect for them. If that's the case, it's unethical and plain disgraceful!! AND I JUST SOLD MY 3GS today too this is so hard for me to hear right now lol

Thanks

I just got off the phone with Apple, they said it's a software issue with iOS 4...people who upgraded to the new iOS 4 with their 3GS's are having the same issue. It's not hardware, according to them. The woman assured me they know what is going on and it will fixed in the coming days. In the meantime, she suggested turning off 3G, the problem will go away until a fix comes out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NiteStar's Avatar
    Thanks

I turned off 3G last night and it did the same thing.

Thanks

They tell you it's a software issue and that's ok I'd probably believe except for the fact that I can't imagine software causing you to lose signal because you touched something completely unrelated to anything to do with software.(The outside of the iPhone) Or is the outside of the iphone4 now a touch sensor and I didn't hear about it?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I think that the WiFi/Bluetooth antenna is interfering or being shorted with the other through his hand. I'd like to see it repeated with BT/WiFi disabled on the same phone.

Thanks

I just picked up my iPhone 4 and it doesn't have this problem at all, I even touched the entire edge at the same time, with no loss of signal. weird...

Thanks
    Default Signal & Inv Shield
    Got my new phone today and sure enough the signal dropped when my finger touched the bottom left corner... applied my invisible shield that covered that area on the side and the problem is resolved. Seems it doesn't like skin to phone contact.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Thanks

^What about the one on the top too?