+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Review - Everything You Want to Know

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The iPhone 4 is here. You've already seen it of course. Both before and while Steve decided to show it off . You've seen the box (although Apple.com had that
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Default iPhone 4 Review - Everything You Want to Know
    The iPhone 4 is here.

You've already seen it of course. Both before and while Steve decided to show it off. You've seen the box (although Apple.com had that up there since they launched the iPhone 4 on their site - who knows why that's so exciting, ha). You've had iOS4 in your hands for days or weeks. And I'm going to show it all to you again. Because now it's in our hands.

The Packaging

(you can click any of the photos in this article for larger versions)

The box is smaller than the previous iPhones. It comes much the same as the other iPhones have - cardboard box, wrapped in clearwrap. Also, the box is white, even though the iPhone is black.

Once opened, the iPhone 4 is immediately viewable on top of the box, with the same protective clearwrap as previous models. Also the same is the USB cable, earphones, and USB to AC adapter as well. The USB to AC adapter is considerably smaller than the past iPhone models were. Two Apple decals are in the box as well.

Setting it Up

Fairly straightforward here - same process as before. Although the first thing you notice when you plug it in is that screen. Apple calls it a "retina display" because it [arguably] displays more pixels than the eye can see. Regardless of whether I can see more pixels than this, it definitely looks incredible. Very noticeable difference between past models. I'll talk about this more later in the review.

Connect the iPhone to iTunes, and you're greeted with a screen asking you to register your new iPhone. You can register the iPhone through your existing iTunes account, or add your info here now. Once synced up and ready, the iPhone 4 has a new microSIM inside, not the standard SIM in your previous model. Because of this, you can't just swap SIM cards and go - you'll need to activate the new phone with AT&T. The directions are slightly different depending on where you bought it.

Through AT&T

If you pre-ordered through AT&T, AT&T sent out an email to folks who ordered, although it's not mentioned /anywhere/ in the box [that I found]. You'll need to visit att.com/Activations to activate. When I visited (upgrading a line), it asked for my existing number I was upgrading, and a verification number (you choose - last 4 of social, birthday, or billing zip). I put that in, and the IMEI and SIM number (on the back of your iPhone box) were already pre-populated since I pre-ordered this one from AT&T. You may need to add those yourself if you didn't - not sure. They recommend the phone be OFF while you activate online (press and hold the top button, then slide the red slider to turn it off). AT&T says to wait 15 minutes after activating to turn the phone back on. I waited 5, turned the phone on, and it was activated fine.

Through Apple

If you pre-ordered through Apple it's even easier. When you connect to iTunes, iTunes prompts you to enter your AT&T account info to complete the activation. Phone number is pre-populated, and they ask for billing zip code and last 4 of social. Once you enter that and press submit, you're shown a screen letting you know your activation is now processing. You can disconnect your iPhone now - reconnect it if you want to sync to iTunes now.

That's it! The phone is active now...

Hardware

First Impressions

iPhone 4 is more chiseled than any previous model. The original iPhone was metal, yes, but still had the [slightly] curved back. The iPhone 3G and 3G[S] were more plasticky and had an even deeper curve than the original model. Apple has kept the curves here, but pushed them off to the corners only. If you've been using previous models, the first thing you'll notice when you hold the iPhone 4 is the back feels like it's missing. Your palm isn't gripping it anymore; your fingers are. The phone feels strong, sleek, and has an almost industrial beauty. It feels smaller, yet stronger.

Specs wise, the iPhone 4's (h) 4.5 inches (115.2 mm) x (w) 2.31 inches (58.6 mm) x (d) 0.37 inch (9.3 mm) and weight of only 4.8 ounces (137 grams) are similar to the 3G[S], with some notable difference in depth. iPhone 3G[S] came in at (h) 4.5 inches (115.5 mm) x (w) inches (62.1 mm) x (d) 0.48 inch (12.3 mm) and nearly the same weight - 4.8 ounces (135 grams). The depth difference is very noticeable - this iPhone is very thin. If you were Apple you'd say it was magical - maybe not quite, but the engineering here is to be applauded for sure.

The Retina Display

The front of the phone brings a much heavier focus on the actual screen. The chromed bezel is removed in favor of a slightly wider black space on the sides than the 3G[S] had. The chrome of the 3G and 3G[S] reflected the surroundings which, setting these side by side, you can tell distracted from the screen. And who would want distraction from this screen? The retina display is gorgeous seen up close.

Where previously letters would be blurry on curves or on edges where drop shadows were applied by the OS, they are now crystal clear and as sharp as the iPhone 4 itself. Stock icons have been retouched slightly to show off the higher resolution. The 3G[S] was impressive when it came out at a 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi. The iPhone 4 laughs at those numbers with its 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi and 800:1 contrast ratio. Blacks are much darker.

Screenshots also share the new resolution. A screenshot taken on a 3G[S] running iOS4 comes in as a 308kb .png at 320x960. The iPhone 4 screenshot is 1MB at a 640x960 resolution.

iPhone 3G[S] Screenshot:

iPhone 4 Screenshot:

The Buttons

The hardware buttons are all steel now. The volume up and down button have been separated, and are round. The vibrate/silence button is also steel, and has a much more satisfying "click" feeling when moved between positions. The home button also has this same feeling - a stronger click, where the 3G[S] was more a "depression." The headphones jack is now completely flush with the top of the phone - no more slightly curved weird headphone access to your iPhone. There is a second mic on the top of the iPhone for noise cancellation.

The Camera[s]

The photos from the camera are brilliant. Apple showed them off a bit on their website and at WWDC, and some have leaked in the past couple weeks. They're all true - the iPhone 4 takes brilliant pictures and video.

The video is a clean HD (720p) at up to 30 frames per second with audio. There is now tap to focus included in the video.

Here's a quick video I took on the back porch with the iPhone 4:

[ame=http://vimeo.com/12805538]iPhone 4 - Waterfall on Vimeo[/ame]

The rear camera is a 5 megapixel one, with tap to focus same as previous models. These photos were taken just now with the iPhone 4, and resized down to an 800px width (or height on profile orientation) and saved as .jpg's at 80 quality. The full size images are ~2MB each. I have not touched anything on them other than resizing.

The front camera takes VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second. Here's a couple images taken with it, not resized OR retouched.

The Innards [Performance]

With 512MB of RAM the phone speeds through use without hesitation. Opening menus, playing back video, animations, etc are all quick and smooth.

We've just laid our hands on it, so I can't speak for battery yet, but according to Apple the iPhone 4 gets 7 hours talk time on 3G and 14 on 2G. The 3G[S] by comparison gets 5 and 12 respectively, according to Apple. Standy is rated at 300 hours for both. Internet usage is 6 and 10 on those numbers, with the 3G[S] being rated at 5 and 9. Audio playback increases to 40 hours on the iPhone 4 from 30 hours on the 3G[S]. Video playback stays the same at 10 hours.

The Video

iPhone 4 can display video up to 720p (H.264), and can output up to 1024x768. It looks great on the phone.

The Audio

Apple doesn't mention any improvements to the speaker, so it could be my ears, but on both my 3G[S]'s here the sound distorts around the same volume, and with the same audio on the iPhone 4 I do not hear this.

Software

iOS4

iOS4 has been covered quite a bit, and runs quick on the iPhone 4. I'll go over some of the major new features here.

Facetime

Facetime is a cool feature which Apple has pushed as a focal point on the iPhone 4. You can video chat with any other iPhone 4 owner, as long as you're both on WiFi. When you call someone with an iPhone 4 with FaceTime on (there's a setting in Settings > Phone where you can turn it on or off - of the two iPhone 4's I received today, one of them had it default as on, one did not) there is a button (where the hold button is on other iPhones) which says FaceTime. Press it, and you are shown your own video feed from the front camera. The person on the other phone is shown a screen which is similar to the call answer/decline screen asking if they would like to connect via FaceTime. If they accept, there's a 2-3 second delay while your phone says accepted, and then they blink into view.

It works, but it's not perfect. The quality of the video is average (VGA) and the framerate is not fluid. I chatted with my kid a bit and it's definitely useable and fluid enough to not look "cheap." I definitely am not getting the 30 fps Apple says the front camera is capable of - and we were both in well-lit areas. Of course, this is the first revision, so let's give Apple a little time to work on it still. It's very cool to use.

Folders

Folders on the iPhone 4 are a welcome addition. Categories has been doing it on jailbroken devices for a good long while, and Apple has finally picked up the idea and put it to use.

To create a folder, simply tap and hold any icon to get them "wiggly" then drag an icon onto any other icon. These two will be the first in your new folder. iOS4 attempts to choose a name based on the app types, but allows you to edit that name to what you'd like. The folders open right on the SpringBoard with a nifty animation, and tapping anywhere else on the screen closes them (or pressing the home button).

One negative aspect of Folders - no more than 12 apps in a folder. There is no scrolling within a folder, so once you've hit 12 apps in a folder, you need to start a new one if you want more space. Vertical scrolling within a folder would be nice.

Multitasking

All your apps are automatically multitasking with iPhone 4. Tasks which were started will complete in the background. It's not exact state - start a level on Angry Birds, close it, open something else and then get back to Angry Birds via the multitasking bar, and you'll be starting that level over. Developers can work more in later using this feature. I noticed no slow-down in the device even with a dozen and more apps running.

To check your multitasking apps, double tap the home button from anywhere in the iPhone. You'll see a list of all open apps in the bottom of your screen, while the rest of the screen dims out. You can scroll horizontally to see the apps. From the first 4 icons, if you'd like to see the iPod controls you're used to seeing when you double-tap home, just scroll to the left - they're right there.

iMovie

iMovie is coming soon to the AppStore for iPhone 4 - at only $4.99. It's not out yet, but when it is we'll update this portion of the review. I'm assuming they're waiting 'til the official launch date to put it on the AppStore. It allows you to edit HD video right on your iPhone 4 and upload to various sharing destinations.

Jailbreak

The phone /just/ became publicly available today (and only for those who got their pre-orders delivered early) - so there is obviously no jailbreak yet. iOS4 /has/ been jailbroken on all other devices. Modem firmware (baseband) is listed as 01.59.00 in the device, so Apple must be starting the naming convention over for the iPhone 4. The current baseband on previous devices is 05.13.04. The Dev Team will have their hands on devices this week if they don't have them already, so we'll wait on their testing.

Summary

Apple has done well with the iPhone 4. It looks like art - in fact, Steve loves to say Apple lives at the corner of liberal arts and technology. The design inherent in the device is matched 100% in it's software, and in use it delivers exactly what you'd expect from it's form.

Well done.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following 65 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

A Retired Mod (06-23-2010), akward silence (07-21-2010), allanes5 (06-23-2010), Amraam (06-24-2010), Brpakito (06-25-2010), bubbledeluxe (06-24-2010), catallin (06-28-2010), Cer0 (06-23-2010), chezus (06-28-2010), chinustud007 (06-24-2010), ColsTiger (06-23-2010), creolesoul (06-23-2010), Darkness777 (06-29-2010), drbf (06-25-2010), EventHorizn (07-12-2010), falkonerth (06-28-2010), Freerunnering (06-24-2010), g0sbv (06-26-2010), geekymom (07-24-2010), hemantbhele (07-02-2010), hughEE (06-23-2010), iphone925 (06-23-2010), iphonerookie (07-07-2010), iRoach74 (06-23-2010), itsmejdn (06-23-2010), Jahooba (07-06-2010), JayQuint87 (06-23-2010), Jrh311 (06-24-2010), k.nitsua (06-23-2010), Latino (06-23-2010), Lovebirdparakeet (06-29-2010), McMike (06-23-2010), MONSTERCUPCAKE (06-24-2010), mortopher (06-24-2010), mycrookedtoe (07-22-2010), Newbee123 (09-20-2010), oarce12 (07-18-2010), PhysiBR (07-25-2010), pimpkracker2000 (06-23-2010), PotatoHead (06-23-2010), rajpatel275 (07-07-2010), reaves205 (06-23-2010), RGee (06-23-2010), rhart96 (06-23-2010), rmichael51 (06-27-2010), rolandgabor (06-23-2010), ronfin44 (06-23-2010), rumcajs (06-23-2010), scooby4 (06-23-2010), scotcristel (07-11-2010), seekat28 (07-01-2010), shaundj1 (07-11-2010), slayorktc (07-13-2010), sobeniceguy2 (06-23-2010), sucram6791 (06-23-2010), SuperJoker (06-24-2010), TCcentex (06-24-2010), tellytel (06-23-2010), TheGrandFinale2001 (06-23-2010), thetoothfairy (06-23-2010), toyvan (06-23-2010), trj111 (06-29-2010), twalker3rd (06-24-2010), x| LiB |x (06-27-2010), yoshi64 (06-30-2010)

Thanks

Wow Nice review.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My hype meter is maxed out. I'll try to wait...but what are the chances of me walking into an Apple store this weekend and picking up a 32gb iPhone 4? Slim I'd say :-/

Thanks

very nice review

getting it this week

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can't wait!!!

Thanks

Nice review. In noticed that you didn't do a review on the wireless area. One thing I wanted to know is what happened to the N wireless protocal. I have a N router and my i4 does not see it? Any ideas? Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Thanks for the review.

I thought I read they changed the baseband to be signed just like the firmware is now. So that could explain the new bb numbers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Do you recall what the battery was at upon opening?

Green Apple
    Thanks

can not wait i feel like its xmas eve

little thanx goes a long way!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thixtythix For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (06-23-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    Nice review. In noticed that you didn't do a review on the wireless area. One thing I wanted to know is what happened to the N wireless protocal. I have a N router and my i4 does not see it? Any ideas? Thanks
    Is your router set to run on all frequencies? Apple chose to only use the 2.4(or whatever) frequency. Alot of new ones normally are 5.0(whatever lol) frequency to avoid interference with all the other devices.

(Sorry can't think of the freq numbers off the top of my head at the moment lol.)

Thanks

Suite. Man, now I want to sell my iPad.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i had faith in this new design from the start .. and i hope my apple store has my reservation waiting bc ill be there early .. regardless of how many in reserved line ... i also whould like to forewarn anyone trying to go to their local wal-mart to purchase an iphone 4 bc today i called my loacl store and after i asked one woman '' how many iphone 4's do u have for tommorrow .. i was quickly put on the line with another woman who didnt know there exact amount .. and was asked to hold... and then i was given by a new person .. a man quickly said .. '' we will only have 1 for sale at 8 am tommorrow''... so i said just one and the guy says '' yes '' , and quickly hangs up ... i still get pissed about this entire fiasco ..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Great review. I was a n00b and googled how to use the multitask feature. Thanks for giving us the 411 quickly. :-)

Thanks

Looks much better than the 3GS classy and sassy all in 1. Can't wait to get 1.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I wonder if facetime would work on 3g while using something like 3g unrestricted to make it think it's on wifi.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The SIM is no longer changeable between the different iDevices!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silentfire619 View Post
    The SIM is no longer changeable between the different iDevices!
    Because they moved to the micro-slim. So technically it still is but only one idevices; iPad.

Thanks

Quote from XFaega
    Is your router set to run on all frequencies? Apple chose to only use the 2.4(or whatever) frequency. Alot of new ones normally are 5.0(whatever lol) frequency to avoid interference with all the other devices.

(Sorry can't think of the freq numbers off the top of my head at the moment lol.)

Yes my Linksys WRT610N is set for both 2.4 and 5. What is funny is that my Mac Pro sees both the 2.4 and 5. Each fresquency is labeled different so that I can tell the difference.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Great review. I received my two phones at 2pm today and think they are bad ***. I've had every iPhone released, and this is one totally kicks ***.

iPhone? More like MyPhone FURBY8704's Avatar
    Thanks

my 16gb is really only 14gb lol

iPHONE 3G FW 4.0 JB & iPHONE 4 4.0 READY TO BE JB=]

+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast