+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Leak or Lie? Apple Steals Your Info While AT&T Locks You In

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A "leak" has been reported on Addictive Tips from an Apple employee code named "Alpha." While we caution anyone to accept the validity of the information until credible sources chime
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Leak or Lie? Apple Steals Your Info While AT&T Locks You In

A "leak" has been reported on Addictive Tips from an Apple employee code named "Alpha." While we caution anyone to accept the validity of the information until credible sources chime in and more information becomes known, there is growing chatter tonight across the blogosphere about this still dubious "news" item.

"Alpha" supposedly works in the iPhone Development Department and has been privy to what amounts to a "shocking" revelation that reveals the extent to which both Apple and AT&T will allegedly go to "lock their users and steal their information while they have no clue about it." In the article, Alpha dishes at length about what Apple and AT&T are doing specifically to implement what, if true, amounts to a sneaky consumer retainer scheme. According to the information presented, With iOS 4, AT&T locks all US iPhone owners to their network via regular OTA updates.

According to “Alpha”, in iOS 4 there is a line of code which they wrote that sends OTA (Over The Air) updates to the user every 7-14 days which detects and locks the system if it is not using AT&T network. Also AT&T and Apple have 6 months worth of OTA updates in their server which “Alpha” himself checked.
    Additionally, it seems the reason some iPhones were shipped early was to "verify their OTA update system." Also noted is that Apple is stealing user information via FaceTime where there is no encryption. Lastly, Alpha says many Apple employees are on to the scheme and, as a result, they are not updating to iOS 4. Alpha indicated that he even downgraded his OS back to version 3.1.2.

What may especially be pertinent information to readers on MMi is that when iPhone 4 users call Apple Care Support, "all information is displayed, including the jailbreak and baseband version." Consequently, guess what happens when you request support? Apple staff have been directed to refuse helping those who have broken the contract rules

“I will tell you this right now the things I am saying if you where to go to Jobs himself he would deny.”
    Again, we wish to stress that the veracity of this information is unlikely at best. While the aspect of AT&T possibly locking the phones could be legitimate, our research finds that the downgrade process referenced by "Alpha" in the piece appears bogus. Not withstanding, if "Alpha" truly is an Apple employee, he may have the ability to downgrade.

We'll stay with the story should there be any definitive confirmations or dismissals as to its legitimacy.

Image via Addictive Tips
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 06-23-2010 at 02:16 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-24-2010)

previously known as allizonanikon
    Thanks

Wow

Thanks

lol I wonder if GeoHot knows of this (if true). I'm sure he can work around just about anything Apple dreams up.

previously known as allizonanikon
    Thanks

Hope it's not true

Thanks

hosts file anyone? snore..
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i can see this happening, direct tv did the very same thing back when people was hacking the service to get free tv. they would send updates every so often and the cards would quit working till they was reprogrammed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone silent1643's Avatar
    Thanks

this raises one of my eyebrows....
    only one...until confirmed

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks like you can just deny the settings update...

Green Apple
    Thanks

We will find out soon enough.

Whoever gets a iPhone 4, jailbreak it, unlock it then call apple! Then we will know if it is true or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

On the addictivetips website they have "alpha" claiming he can downgrade iOS 4 to 3.1.2 no problem via iTunes without the need of SHSH's. They even posted a guide.

However, this is all bogus. The guide is bunk and as usual, Apple does not sign older firmware, preventing downgrading.

My question is, Can all Apply employees downgrade as they please? Sounds like JB paradise over at apple.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-24-2010), k.nitsua (06-23-2010), Michael Essany (06-23-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

sounds like something AT&T would love to do, especially with rumors of the iPhone being released with other carriers in the near future..they want to lock it down for as long as possible

Meh..who knows if it's true or not

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I said awhile back that I was deathly afraid of OTA updates like other carriers do to their phones. While I don't believe this is happening, I've taken my jailbroken phone in for service a few times and only disabled winterboard and have never been turned away, I've been afraid of this for a while. I hope to God they don't go this route, because the next step is to push updates for the firmware and that would cause all kinds of headaches.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I received the same message here in Canada with Rogers...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What's in it for Apple? Just doesn't add up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds sketchy.. but I wouldnt put it past Apple & AT&T. They come up with all sorts of dumb ideas to regulate their stuff..

Thanks

If this scares you please tell me you saw the news on how the FBI can turn your mics on remotely to record convos!

The news is all over youtube: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G1fNjK9SXg]YouTube - CELL PHONE (FBI can listen to you when phone is turned off)[/ame]

And this was last year come on wake up.

Type in the word illuminati backwards in the address bar and hit go

www.itanimulli.com

Big Brother Watching is really the NWO Watching

Thanks

I was thinking of waiting to sell my 3GS unlocked with the latest IOS4 but forget it, hearing about this wether true or not just spells = problems.

Im just selling my 3GS factory restored, to hell with it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

when iPhone 4 users call Apple Care Support, "all information is displayed, including the jailbreak and baseband version.
    Easy. Just don't call Apple Support from your iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Umm, how could Apple send something to your phone when you have a different companies SIM in?
    This all sounds very false.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justin13 View Post
    What's in it for Apple? Just doesn't add up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post
    ... Also noted is that Apple is stealing user information via FaceTime where there is no encryption. ...

What may especially be pertinent information to readers on MMi is that when iPhone 4 users call Apple Care Support, "all information is displayed, including the jailbreak and baseband version." Consequently, guess what happens when you request support? Apple staff have been directed to refuse helping those who have broken the contract rules.
    Stealing information and market research to sell to corporations for better, targeted marketing? Not offer support for a jailbroken device to save time (and potentially money, for replacement)? There are good reasons.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast