+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Leak or Lie? Apple Steals Your Info While AT&T Locks You In

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by atm_10142k I thought this what a apple friendly website I have been visiting this site for over two years. But seem to me that now is anti-apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atm_10142k View Post
    I thought this what a apple friendly website I have been visiting this site for over two years. But seem to me that now is anti-apple apple. This writer seems to write this stories that have not yet to be proven. Instead all this does is put fear on many. it no longer fun to com and learn how to mod your iphone here. what does this article have to do with mod-ing your iphone?
    if you have fear of things like this then u probably shouldnt be on this site or jailbreaking your phone, period.

Thanks

I always thought that Apple will try to conquer the world.)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
    i can see this happening, direct tv did the very same thing back when people was hacking the service to get free tv. they would send updates every so often and the cards would quit working till they was reprogrammed.
    All that was is they changed the encryption of their signal. All it was was hash checks and check sums...

no comment on source.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigorangekitty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zmanforever View Post
    If this scares you please tell me you saw the news on how the FBI can turn your mics on remotely to record convos!

The news is all over youtube: YouTube - CELL PHONE (FBI can listen to you when phone is turned off)

And this was last year come on wake up.

Type in the word illuminati backwards in the address bar and hit go

Welcome to the National Security Agency - NSA/CSS
    Big Brother Watching is really the NWO Watching
    quit trying to scare people. jailbreaking is not illegal. the website is a redirect and is registered to a civilian. who is brings this up:

Registrant:
    John Fenley
    1985N 360E
    Provo, Utah 84604-1803
    United States

Domain Name: ITANIMULLI.COM
    Created on: 20-Nov-02
    Expires on: 20-Nov-10
    Last Updated on: 25-Nov-09

Administrative Contact:
    Fenley, John
    1985N 360E
    Provo, Utah 84604-1803
    United States
    8014273274 Fax --

Technical Contact:
    Fenley, John
    1985N 360E
    Provo, Utah 84604-1803
    United States
    8014273274 Fax --

Quote Originally Posted by jslay View Post
    All that was is they changed the encryption of their signal. All it was was hash checks and check sums...

no comment on source.
    they did hash their cards, but also did electronic counter measures (ECM's)...remember "Black Sunday"?

Also no comment on source, nor is this forum to discuss this
    Last edited by bigorangekitty; 06-24-2010 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Musclenerd has already tweeted this is a bunch of BS... stop with the conspiracy theories omg.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Seems to me the way to start testing this is to look at the most easily verifible allegation, that facetime phones home to apple any time a call is made.

To check this I suggest you just need to put a packet sniffer like wireshark on your network so that it can see all the traffic from you wifi router, then see what happens when you make a facetime call.

If it doesn't call home to Apple then any credibility the other allegations have is severely damaged, but if it does then Apple would have a PR disaster of BP proportions brewing and the other allegations need looking at very closely.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So this article is supposed to be about AT&T right? Then why is the phone pictured a Rogers phone?

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sh33436 View Post
    look i'm 50/50 on the hole deal because my phone was jailbreak just today and i was trying to restore it then it crashed. then later i took it to apple as normal they fixed it. later that i came home fully restored it, and then went to connect it to my car and it started acting funny saying some sh!t like ummmm.....

the phone is picking up interference and it stopped playing music.
    Some chargers for iphone when plugged in they disable music.

Oh and this is BOGUS. its all lies. There isnt any possible way.. i just called Apple AND at&t support from my unlocked jailbroke phone... NOTHING. they know nothing... Not to mention that this would be something that once found out would quite literally put everyone who knew about it in federal prison and would more or less end the company. Im thinking the image was made by using iSttrings to edit the text for some kind of Notification. If you honestly believe this then please just leave. It isnt logical or even legal for them to do this. No way would Jobs risk His Beautiful Company. Although I can believe that the Dev could downgrade to 3.1.2 from 4.0 Although he probably isnt a dev im sure that a real dev can if they want.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think I've found the reason for the OTA updates and my guess it does not have to do with locking your phone, but rather fix an unforeseen upgrade scenario.

Let me explain: they need to "force" a carrier configuration (aka carrier bundle or carrier.plist) update because there may be a leftover carrier configuration from 3.X in the users/private area.

Carrier configuration files (more precisely carrier.plist) on 4.0 now bear a signature and if it's not present or wrong, will cause the carrier configuration not to load (it will say "Not Available" in the "About" page).

The new signature was created because it was possible to subvert the authentication mechanism for controlling tethering, specially if the carrier charges for it as a separate feature, as AT&T is doing. The signature will prevent changes in the APN (and even enabling APN editing) that can be used to trick the authentication mechanism.

If I'm not wrong, there is a bug in the carrier configuration selection logic Apple uses: it will use the configuration in the user private area even if the version there is older than the one in the system area. That said, the only way to avoid the leftover carrier configuration file is by sending a new one and they opted to do it the most expedite way: Over The Air.

This is the reason so many users are complaining they do not have tethering (on carriers that officially support it) and the same goes for MMS (and any special configuration that has to rely on the carrier configuration).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jslay View Post

no comment on source.
    Not on black sunday..

+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345