+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Leak or Lie? Apple Steals Your Info While AT&T Locks You In

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
yes they will have your info and that sounds like it is probably legit.....but some people dont have home phones im a college student and my jailbroken unlocked iphone is
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

yes they will have your info and that sounds like it is probably legit.....but some people dont have home phones im a college student and my jailbroken unlocked iphone is my only form of communication. thats why some people call from their iphone plus it would be a lot easier to give them all your info (order number last 4 of social, phone number, address) instead of having to confirm that everytime you call them

Thanks

Musclenerd thinks this is bogus but could be legit hopefully not that would be too much ********

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Come on Steve it is that serious?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is no way it would be a keep alive signal sent by AT&T that would lock if not received because what if you went on vacation to somewhere without reception? Would your phone lock? No, I don't think so. And anyways musclenerd says no, so I trust him more than "alpha".

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If apple lock my iphone, I'd like to have a "talk" with Mr jobs.

Green Apple
    Thanks

There has to be a little bit of legit pieces to this story but dont know how much. I would think if he is one of the developers then he could downgrade his phone to the 3.1.2 firmware though

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

musclenerd said it was bogus thats good enough for me to believe someone is trying to scam people and cause mass paranoia probably a verizon loser lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

A "leak" has been reported on Addictive Tips from an Apple employee code named "Alpha." While we caution anyone to accept the validity of the information until credible sources chime in and more information becomes known, there is growing chatter tonight across the blogosphere about this still dubious "news" item.

"Alpha" supposedly works in the iPhone Development Department and has been privy to what amounts to a "shocking" revelation that reveals the extent to which both Apple and AT&T will allegedly go to "lock their users and steal their information while they have no clue about it." In the article, Alpha dishes at length about what Apple and AT&T are doing specifically to implement what, if true, amounts to a sneaky consumer retainer scheme. According to the information presented, With iOS 4, AT&T locks all US iPhone owners to their network via regular OTA updates.

Additionally, it seems the reason some iPhones were shipped early was to "verify their OTA update system." Also noted is that Apple is stealing user information via FaceTime where there is no encryption. Lastly, Alpha says many Apple employees are on to the scheme and, as a result, they are not updating to iOS 4. Alpha indicated that he even downgraded his OS back to version 3.1.2.

What may especially be pertinent information to readers on MMi is that when iPhone 4 users call Apple Care Support, "all information is displayed, including the jailbreak and baseband version." Consequently, guess what happens when you request support? Apple staff have been directed to refuse helping those who have broken the contract rules

Again, we wish to stress that the veracity of this information is unlikely at best. While the aspect of AT&T possibly locking the phones could be legitimate, our research finds that the downgrade process referenced by "Alpha" in the piece appears bogus. Not withstanding, if "Alpha" truly is an Apple employee, he may have the ability to downgrade.

We'll stay with the story should there be any definitive confirmations or dismissals as to its legitimacy.

Image via Addictive Tips
    We, Apple's users N ATnT should sue both of them for privacy violation without consumers' knowledge. Hoping there is out there a Don Quichot to fight them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I believe it 100%. Even worse goes on and we don't know.

Green Apple
    Thanks

im leaning on "dead to real" on this.

However, wouldnt this need to be disclosed in one or both of the EULAs?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    look i'm 50/50 on the hole deal because my phone was jailbreak just today and i was trying to restore it then it crashed. then later i took it to apple as normal they fixed it. later that i came home fully restored it, and then went to connect it to my car and it started acting funny saying some sh!t like ummmm.....

the phone is picking up interference and it stopped playing music.

Thanks

i hope its a lie
    att trying so hard to keep us in their network

What's Jailbreak? DontBplayaHaten's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate u apple&att

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DontBplayaHaten View Post
    I hate u apple&att
    Your name and your post conflict each other! LOL

I have yet to activate my new iPhone 4. Now I read this steaming load of dung...

iPhone? More like MyPhone giancarlo's Avatar
    Thanks

kind of scary if you think about it. One of the devs have to come out with bootneuter again. I was at ease when I neutered my 2g.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If this is an over the air update how would it tell if it's a factory unlocked phone?

Stupid question but If this is an over the air update how would it tell if it's a factory unlocked phone?
    Last edited by eskco; 06-23-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mkvelidadon View Post
    Simply ignore the update. Use your brain. BTW, jailbreaking is illegal.
    No it is not.. (at least not in Canada where they are actually pssing a law specifically to prevent carriers from denying service due to jailbreaks/unlocks)

Quote Originally Posted by brandoncarr View Post
    How can AT&T send an OTA update if you don't have an AT&T SIM card in your phone? If you're on, say T-Mo's network, how can they do such a thing?
    Does your phone not connect to the internet? As long as it can connect to the net, it can be addressed by any server that is aware if it. If the ios has a "call home" feature, it could be reporting it's existance consantly and looking for updates 24/7. It doesn't matter what cell provider it just has to be able to talk to the net.

(not that this lends credence to the story...)

Thanks

Default gee
    Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

A "leak" has been reported on Addictive Tips from an Apple employee code named "Alpha." While we caution anyone to accept the validity of the information until credible sources chime in and more information becomes known, there is growing chatter tonight across the blogosphere about this still dubious "news" item.

"Alpha" supposedly works in the iPhone Development Department and has been privy to what amounts to a "shocking" revelation that reveals the extent to which both Apple and AT&T will allegedly go to "lock their users and steal their information while they have no clue about it." In the article, Alpha dishes at length about what Apple and AT&T are doing specifically to implement what, if true, amounts to a sneaky consumer retainer scheme. According to the information presented, With iOS 4, AT&T locks all US iPhone owners to their network via regular OTA updates.

Additionally, it seems the reason some iPhones were shipped early was to "verify their OTA update system." Also noted is that Apple is stealing user information via FaceTime where there is no encryption. Lastly, Alpha says many Apple employees are on to the scheme and, as a result, they are not updating to iOS 4. Alpha indicated that he even downgraded his OS back to version 3.1.2.

What may especially be pertinent information to readers on MMi is that when iPhone 4 users call Apple Care Support, "all information is displayed, including the jailbreak and baseband version." Consequently, guess what happens when you request support? Apple staff have been directed to refuse helping those who have broken the contract rules

Again, we wish to stress that the veracity of this information is unlikely at best. While the aspect of AT&T possibly locking the phones could be legitimate, our research finds that the downgrade process referenced by "Alpha" in the piece appears bogus. Not withstanding, if "Alpha" truly is an Apple employee, he may have the ability to downgrade.

We'll stay with the story should there be any definitive confirmations or dismissals as to its legitimacy.

Image via Addictive Tips
    I thought this what a apple friendly website I have been visiting this site for over two years. But seem to me that now is anti-apple apple. This writer seems to write this stories that have not yet to be proven. Instead all this does is put fear on many. it no longer fun to com and learn how to mod your iphone here. what does this article have to do with mod-ing your iphone?

Thanks

That's what I've noticed too, all these anti-Apple stories, just b!tching and complaining about anything Apple does, wether it's real or just speculation, but mostly the latter. I think they just do it for the hits.

Thanks

if this is true or not just hearing that is a total mind blow. how can this be legal
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.