Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4: Faster Than iPhone 3GS, Possibly Slower Than iPad

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default iPhone 4: Faster Than iPhone 3GS, Possibly Slower Than iPad

The results are in. Early benchmark tests indicate that the iPhone 4, as one would hope, is faster than the iPhone 3GS. It isn't, however, faster than the iPad, although this news doesn't appear to have shocked anyone thus far. But based on the findings of the Geekbench 2 app, the iPhone 4 likely won't disappoint anyone by proving too slow for our lightning-fast expectations.

Here's what we know. Benchmark tests reveal that the iPhone 4 is roughly 30% faster than the iPhone 3GS. On the other hand, the iPad still has the iPhone 4 beat, although both products have the same Apple A4 processor. Of course, benchmarks aren't the most accurate means for truly clocking the speed and processing power of an Apple device, but the feedback thus far has made for interesting food for thought. Not until iOS 4.0 hits the iPad can we get a more accurate side-by-side comparison.

The team at iFixit, however, has thoroughly busted into the iPhone 4 and, from the looks of it, Apple's updated smartphone has - at least in theory - the same "guts" as the iPad and, consequently, should be able to run at the same 1GHz clock speed. Even with its smaller frame, the iPhone 4 packs some 512MB of memory and has all the familiar trapping of a real speed demon when it comes to relishing cutting edge features (at least for the iPhone) like multitasking.

While there are no shortage of differing opinions on the speed of the iPhone 4, no one has expressed frustration or a lack of enthusiasm about its speed potential. So far, virtually all reviews and in-hand analysis have reiterated the same message: the iPhone 4 is faster than the lines will probably move tomorrow at Apple stores around the nation.

Image via Geek Bench

slower than the iPad? OH MY GOSH THATS TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! well, I would assume it isn't as fast as the iPad anyways so whatever

iPhone? More like MyPhone lbroskee's Avatar
    Thanks

if that is iphone 4 on left why does it say iphone3,1 in the model?

Quote Originally Posted by lbroskee View Post
    That's exactly what i was thinking.

the iphone 4 is 3,1 and the iphone 3GS is 2,1 when you download the firmware for the iphone 3GS it shows that same coding. Other than that i don't have any better explanation.

Because:

1st Gen iPhone 2G (iPhone 1,1)
    1st Gen iPhone 3G (iPhone 1,2)
    2nd Gen iPhone 3GS (iPhone 2,2)
    3rd Gen iPhone 4 (iPhone 3,1)

Example iPhone 1,2 = First gen iPhone Mark 2

I was wondering the exact same thing. Whatever though, never wanted the iPad in the first place but cannot wait to get my hands on the iPhone 4.

...and what's up with the 0.00 HZ processor speed? Maybe I don't understand these bench results.

Thanks

wow that is retarded. mabook did it right (every new model change the 1st number). the 3G was nothing lik the 1st gen. if anything they should have set it like so:

1st Gen iPhone 3G (iPhone 2,1)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lbroskee For This Useful Post:

Amraam (06-23-2010)

Lets hope the jailbreak community finds a way to unlock the full 1ghz potential of the processor!

WTF that doesn't make sense, iPhone 4 should be at least as fast as the iPad...
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

should be

2nd Gen iPhone 3GS (iPhone 2,1)

wow that is retarded. mabook did it right (every new model change the 1st number). the 3G was nothing lik the 1st gen. if anything they should have set it like so:

1st Gen iPhone 3G (iPhone 2,1)
    thats where you're wrong.

the iPhone 2G and 3G were essentially the exact same phone, except the 3G had 3G. Everything else was the same.

The 3GS had extremely upgraded internals compared to the 3G.

mmm.. the 3GS is on 10% battery left.. at that point the phone is not using full resources... let see another test with full battery... anyway is not that is like 3G vs 3GS...

both holycowe and h2a are correct. the 3g only added 3g and was not a significant hardware improvement like the 3gs, thus, the correct numbers are:

2nd Gen iPhone 3GS (iPhone 2,1)

Don't believe me? Just look at the firmware filenames..
    iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

If you're gonna post numbers, post the correct ones.

Quote Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
    mmm.. the 3GS is on 10% battery left.. at that point the phone is not using full resources... let see another test with full battery... anyway is not that is like 3G vs 3GS...
    The iPhone doesn't speedstep based on battery..
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 06-23-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Slower Than the iPad? I call BS!!!
    It makes no sense, its because the iPhone 4 is using a much more intensive OS than the iPad. We'll see whazup when the iPad is running iOS 4.
    When Is The Apple iCar Coming Out? I Want One!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

How old a minute.... the 3GS on the right is on battery power and the i4 on the left is on plug power. That makes a huge difference since they throttle the processor on battery power.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

ok that makes sense. i think i based my numbers on visuals not the hardware itself. lol

will it gonna be faster than the upcoming iTouch 4g ??

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If a benchmark like this is going to be "published", they could at least try their hardest to make all controllable variables completely equal... I would take this data with a grain (or a handful) of salt as is.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast